A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:26 am
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767278 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #870 on: May 15, 2017, 07:46:44 am »

Agreed that the Hwy 75 makeover was very poorly timed.  Either there was no thought or no coordination with other projects as it was being planned.  That's the two north-south corridors choked off.

BUT - take heart.  Since the closure of Riverside happens in midtown there are alternative routes.  Traffic can filter through every neighborhood.  That's a major pain in the butt, but it gives people options. Highway 75 parallels Union and 33rd W. Avenue, which were both underutilized 4 lane roads (by traffic count).  Still not a great solution but -

How many subdivisions in south Tulsa have either only one outlet, or maybe two?  If, heaven forbid, the roads ever require major construction in South Tulsa, traffic can't filter through neighborhoods.  It all has to be funneled the only other available direction, to some thoroughfare that is already heavily utilized during rush hour. There simply is no option and no thoroughfare that isn't already stressed during peak use.

So we have that to look forward to when we neglect street maintenance in the future and play catch up.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #871 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:46 am »

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #872 on: August 11, 2017, 10:49:19 am »

I am not sure this is the best post for this question, but does anyone know if Riverside between I-44 and the Gathering Place will be rebuilt (not expanded)?  That stretch is not in great condition.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #873 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:18 pm »

According to http://fixourstreetslive.com, it doesn't appear that there is a project in the plans for this.   There may be something further out?

Does anyone know if there are any plans to give our new park a NAME beyond "A Gathering Place for Tulsa"?

Sure it will be an awesome park, and the experience will speak for itself, but it seems like we could do ourselves a favor and try to market this thing to visitors a little better (in addition to our local residents).   

This conversation keeps playing out in my mind.

Visitor to local barman:  Where can I go while I'm in town?
Barman: You should definitely head over to A Gathering Place for Tulsa... it's fantastic
Visitor: Oh yeah?  That sounds interesting!  Is it a club?  Are people from other places allowed to go there?
Barman: No silly! It's a park! A big...no, HUGE... and beautiful park!! It's the biggest and best of its kind in this region.  And it's for everyone to enjoy!
Visitor: Oh so it's not just a place to gather? It's not like a swap meet?
Barman: No.  There are lots of things to see and do there.  It's a first class park, with a Children's Museum and nature trails and running trails and sport courts. 
Visitor: Well thanks! I'll check it out.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #874 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »

Does anyone know if there are any plans to give our new park a NAME beyond "A Gathering Place for Tulsa"?

Sure it will be an awesome park, and the experience will speak for itself, but it seems like we could do ourselves a favor and try to market this thing to visitors a little better (in addition to our local residents).   

I see  "The Gathering Place for Tulsa" being shortened (it already has been) to "the gathering place".  Kind of like in Ft Worth when they say "go to the museum district".   Meaning, there is a lot of stuff to do in the area, not just the museum.  TGP (see, shortened it even more...) is more than a park.   Admittedly, I didn't like the name either when I first heard it,  but I like it now.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #875 on: August 11, 2017, 01:01:30 pm »

According to http://fixourstreetslive.com, it doesn't appear that there is a project in the plans for this.   There may be something further out?

Thanks.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #876 on: August 11, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »

I see  "The Gathering Place for Tulsa" being shortened (it already has been) to "the gathering place".  Kind of like in Ft Worth when they say "go to the museum district".   Meaning, there is a lot of stuff to do in the area, not just the museum.  TGP (see, shortened it even more...) is more than a park.   Admittedly, I didn't like the name either when I first heard it,  but I like it now.

Agree.  I wasn't crazy about the name until recently when I was able to see a presentation on the various components of the park, then the name made sense to me.  There was a lot of planning (beyond the typical development items) aimed at developing community.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #877 on: August 11, 2017, 01:28:18 pm »

Barman: You should definitely head over to A Gathering Place for Tulsa... it's fantastic
Visitor: Oh yeah?  That sounds interesting!  Is it a club?  Are people from other places allowed to go there?
Barman: No silly! It's a park! A big...no, HUGE... and beautiful park!! It's the biggest and best of its kind in this region.  And it's for everyone to enjoy!
Barman: No.  There are lots of things to see and do there.  It's a first class park, with a Children's Museum and nature trails and running trails and sport courts. 

Don't hold me to this, but I could have sworn I saw a hardscape or wooden sign which said "A Gathering Place For Tulsa" on the construction site in Kevin Canfield's last piece he did with Jeff Stava.  I think they are committed to that name.  For a few hundred million, apparently you can name it anything you want, no matter how disjointed it sounds to the rest of us.  I guess it's better than Mr. Kaiser seeking to plaster his name all over it as "Kaiser World" or some such thing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #878 on: August 12, 2017, 04:25:53 pm »

Don't hold me to this, but I could have sworn I saw a hardscape or wooden sign which said "A Gathering Place For Tulsa" on the construction site in Kevin Canfield's last piece he did with Jeff Stava.  I think they are committed to that name.  For a few hundred million, apparently you can name it anything you want, no matter how disjointed it sounds to the rest of us.  I guess it's better than Mr. Kaiser seeking to plaster his name all over it as "Kaiser World" or some such thing.

You're not imagining, it's a pretty expensive sign too.

I imagine this park will become more of a district than a specific thing. People may go to the playground, boathouse, children's museum, etc.

Also I suspect that since we are in Tulsa and already abbreviate things, "A Gathering Place for Tulsa" will just become "A Gathering Place," "Gathering Place," or we'll just amalgamate it as RiverParks.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #879 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:19 am »

It's actually some sort of stone. They're using the same stone as flooring in the lodge. I really don't think this is the final name, though.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #880 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:25 am »

Will opening phase 1 include reopening the Midland Valley Trail to the Rivertrail connection?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #881 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:18 am »

Also I suspect that since we are in Tulsa and already abbreviate things, "A Gathering Place for Tulsa" will just become "A Gathering Place," "Gathering Place," or we'll just amalgamate it as RiverParks.

"Tul Gat Pla"
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #882 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:52 pm »

I wonder if at the time New Yorkers thought “Central Park” was an inspired name for what would become one of the city’s iconic destinations.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #883 on: August 15, 2017, 08:11:15 am »

I wonder if at the time New Yorkers thought “Central Park” was an inspired name for what would become one of the city’s iconic destinations.

I don't see a problem. The park itself will be amazing. I think people will be willing to use an extra syllable to describe it ("Gathering Place" rather than "River Parks").

Since the plans were announced, was there ever any question that the name "Gathering Place for Tulsa" wouldn't be official? No name will make everyone happy. Lets see if we can find a better name for the city. "Tulsa" just isn't doing it for me. Too clunky!
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #884 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:38 am »

I have talked to well over a dozen out-of-towners and people moving here about the Gathering Place and no one ever had any issue understanding what it is or confusion/complaints over the name. Yes, you do have to say it's a park, but just about every city has something you hear about that isn't part of the name.

I don't think many will call it "A Gathering Place for Tulsa", but just "the Gathering Place". That is easy enough to me.  "Crystal Bridges" is 4 syllables and not obvious what it is from the name, but easy to remember (what is that, an over-the-river ICE SKATING RINK!?!?!).

Many people might default to "River Parks" which is fine too. We will just have perhaps the best River Parks in the country!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org