A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:43 am
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767269 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #780 on: April 14, 2015, 11:56:43 am »

Cute. Love the 918 or move back to the cornfields!

Sauer, Omaha and Oklahoma didn't collude with each other. It is a federal regulation. Why is it so hard to believe that people in wheelchairs may not be visiting the local park to run? The paths are access to picnic areas, a restaurant, a place for their children to play etc. Your world is so small.....

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #781 on: April 14, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »

Sauer, Omaha and Oklahoma didn't collude with each other. It is a federal regulation. Why is it so hard to believe that people in wheelchairs may not be visiting the local park to run? The paths are access to picnic areas, a restaurant, a place for their children to play etc. Your world is so small.....

If my mom was still alive I'm pretty sure she could beat Cabbage's backside.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »

As I said before, I understand everyone wants to use the jogging trails, but if your using the trails and your handicapped it makes no sense -at least to me- that you need to park up front next to the trail, if your using the trail parking 30 feet away won't make a hill of beans difference, when your on the trail you'll be walking or using a wheel chair for a great distance anyhow, how up front parking will help anyone is beyond me, there is also a huge problem with handicapped parking abuse, other healthy  people using grandmas car with the handicapped card  so they can park up close in shopping malls and so on but that's another issue.. I have no problems with playgrounds either- it's just that how many more  playgrounds do we really need? There already is a playground at 41st & RiverSide Drive, now they want to build a super playground a mile north of that. There is a playground at 101st & Riverside Drive too.  I'd like to see places for teens, young adults and older adults to go to. I'd like to see something where all ages can go. The Gathering Place seems to focus on just a big Playground more than anything else or any other activity- at least from what I read about it and what was displayed about it on TV, it's basically a place for kids.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #783 on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:51 pm »

As I said before, I understand everyone wants to use the jogging trails, but if your using the trails and your handicapped it makes no sense -at least to me- that you need to park up front next to the trail, if your using the trail parking 30 feet away won't make a hill of beans difference, when your on the trail you'll be walking or using a wheel chair for a great distance anyhow, how up front parking will help anyone is beyond me, there is also a huge problem with handicapped parking abuse, other healthy  people using grandmas car with the handicapped card  so they can park up close in shopping malls and so on but that's another issue.. I have no problems with playgrounds either- it's just that how many more  playgrounds do we really need? There already is a playground at 41st & RiverSide Drive, now they want to build a super playground a mile north of that. There is a playground at 101st & Riverside Drive too.  I'd like to see places for teens, young adults and older adults to go to. I'd like to see something where all ages can go. The Gathering Place seems to focus on just a big Playground more than anything else or any other activity- at least from what I read about it and what was displayed about it on TV, it's basically a place for kids.

I don't go to any of the other playgrounds, but I will go to this park.  Looks like it is going to be a great place to take a stroll or rollerblade with lots to see. :-)

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BuiltRight
Citizen

« Reply #784 on: June 18, 2015, 08:09:49 am »

Video about what's currently going on behind the big green wall.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/behind-the-scenes-look-at-construction-work-for-a-gathering-place
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #785 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:18 am »

Riverside drive is now closed. You have been forewarned for two years that this would happen.

Queue pointless ranting
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #786 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:15 am »

Riverside drive is now closed. You have been forewarned for two years that this would happen.

Queue pointless ranting

Yep, much like the change in refuse service...I still hear people bitching about that.  Three years after the fact.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #787 on: July 13, 2015, 09:31:28 am »

Queue pointless ranting

Yeah, but once it’s done, there won’t be anything there for people to do, parking’s gonna be a nightmare, and we won’t have money to maintain it.  I dunno about how this might affect Tulsa Tuff, but I’m not a cyclist, I’m just a runner.  Just not what I think T-Towne needs.  I think we just need mile markers on the trail so I don’t have to use one of those new-fangled computers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2015, 10:13:09 am »

Yeah, but once it’s done, there won’t be anything there for people to do, parking’s gonna be a nightmare, and we won’t have money to maintain it.  I dunno about how this might affect Tulsa Tuff, but I’m not a cyclist, I’m just a runner.  Just not what I think T-Towne needs.  I think we just need mile markers on the trail so I don’t have to use one of those new-fangled computers.

**snort**  Good thing I was not drinking anything.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2015, 11:52:07 am »

+2,  just for the double-take...

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #790 on: July 13, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »

RiverSide Drive is closed for two years, the jogging trail is closed too, it'll be a mess and a long two years. IMO I think this project is a mistake, it's just  too big, they bit off more than they could chew. There is also on going construction going on at the west park too. I think the $350 million could have been spent in better ways or spread out. But that's just me and my opinion.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #791 on: July 13, 2015, 01:03:12 pm »

The BOK Center sucks and is going to be a failure.....!!!!!!!!!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #792 on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:43 pm »

The BOK Center sucks and is going to be a failure.....!!!!!!!!!

It would be fun to get Michael Bates on here to debate the arena and ballpark.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #793 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:37 am »

RiverSide Drive is closed for two years, the jogging trail is closed too, it'll be a mess and a long two years. IMO I think this project is a mistake, it's just  too big, they bit off more than they could chew. There is also on going construction going on at the west park too. I think the $350 million could have been spent in better ways or spread out. But that's just me and my opinion.

Construction of anything takes time. Double so when it involves significant earth moving, infrastructure, and landscaping. There is just no getting around that.

Explain "too big...they bit off more than they could chew." The contractors in this project bit off exactly as much as they could chew, or would assign more resources. Thus far, everything is going perfectly to plan. Your statement would make sense if things werent going to plan, but since they are - I'm just confused.

If this was a 100% publicly funded project, I would agree with you that a $350mil park probably isn't the best investment. But it isn't.

I use the trails on a very regular basis. I drive on the part of the road that is closed. I don't live close enough to walk when the new park is open. But I'm damn glad we are getting it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #794 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:17 am »

I logged into Facebook for the first time in months last night, big mistake on my part.

There were three things dominating my "news feed" there.

1. Photos of The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia

2. Photos of William Tecumseh Sherman captioned "Don't make me come down there again."

3. People saying how much they hate that Riverside Drive is closed for "the stupid Gathering Place." With various reasons as to why:

- It is a stupid name for a park anyway
 - Nobody will go there because they will chase all the "normal" people away so that only the "uppity" or "rich" can use it.
 - Driving in Tulsa is already "the worst" and this just makes it worse....or "worser" as one person said.
 - We have too many parks already that nobody uses except for drug dealers
 - This is more of an Owasso or Broken Arrow thing. Nobody wants to hang out in downtown Tulsa with all the homeless - This one was my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:57:09 am by Ibanez » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org