A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:55:40 pm
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 773571 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #615 on: October 23, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »

Also,  with regard to the other posts about the tight sidewalks down South,  the other thread on walkability kind of makes my point.  Those sidewalks are so unfriendly toward pedestrians that not a lot of people use them.  So, while there may not be many accidents, they are still not a good situation.

Not a lot of people use the sidewalks along Memorial between 101st and 111th because there is nothing to walk to.  I have occasionally seen people on them but it is rare.

As I noted somewhere else,  I would like sidewalks between 111th and 131st so I wouldn't get grass stains on my shoes walking to and from the Bixby BBQ once a year to avoid the parking cost and mess.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #616 on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »

What kind of sidewalks does Portland have?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #617 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:48 pm »

A completely random zoom looks like a mix some of concrete and others of brick.  Maybe more.

http://goo.gl/maps/tXWK0
http://goo.gl/maps/AcLKp

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »

Just couldn't resist.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:22 am »

If the proposed sidewalk presents a safety risk, then so does just about every sidewalk along every single major thoroughfare in Tulsa. 

I hate to be in a position of possibly agreeing with Dewey on any issue, but while I'm fairly sure his motives aren't pure and the some of the locals definitely have a (literal) NIMBY  attitude, I'm going to have to come down on the side of not having a sidewalk along the East side of Riverside. 

Even in the renderings it is uncomfortably close to the road, and unless they drastically slow down traffic on Riverside I can see problems occurring.  Anyone coming from the park already has access by going down the West side of Riverside, and/or going East (on the already existing sidewalk) on the North Side of 21st for about a net block and crossing at the existing crosswalk and going down the trail.  And while using the West side of Riverside is definitely longer, going East and using the existing trail is basically a wash with the new proposed sidewalk, and much less dangerous.

Feel free to pummel me with reasons why I am completely wrong.  Smiley

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2014, 09:29:28 am »

If the proposed sidewalk presents a safety risk, then so does just about every sidewalk along every single major thoroughfare in Tulsa. 

Driving south on Yale from 21st to 31st this morning, there is one section on the west side of the road where there is no buffer at all between the curb and sidewalk.  This is brand new sidewalk installed in the last year.  The only difference here is Dewby wouldn’t associate with people who live along that section of Yale.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #621 on: October 24, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »

Driving south on Yale from 21st to 31st this morning, there is one section on the west side of the road where there is no buffer at all between the curb and sidewalk.  This is brand new sidewalk installed in the last year.  The only difference here is Dewby wouldn’t associate with people who live along that section of Yale.

Population control.   a few distracted drivers need to take out a few pedestrians and cyclists each year.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2014, 03:26:51 am »

A completely random zoom looks like a mix some of concrete and others of brick.  Maybe more.

http://goo.gl/maps/tXWK0
http://goo.gl/maps/AcLKp

And in most of the Portland area away from downtown the side walks look like these......

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5529263,-122.5774371,3a,75y,53.67h,77.91t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNZewfU3_O4CISLuWpJ4I6g!2e0?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4974446,-122.5933104,3a,75y,64h,79.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srL6KYR6jCfwP36FxvTM5Ew!2e0?hl=en

or across the river in Vancouver WA

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6454067,-122.6688344,3a,75y,223.53h,71.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMwtlV6yMs09UC0fp_NuTTg!2e0?hl=en
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #623 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:05 am »

Granted, it’s not much of a hardship to walk two blocks from Veteran’s Park to the Midland Trail, but it simply illustrates how incredibly out of tune this administration is to any sort of sensible development ideas.

The worst part is to hear it characterized as a "safety issue."
For whom, exactly?

Sidewalk NIMBYs... now I've heard everything.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #624 on: October 26, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

drove down 71st street the other day

should we start a petition to remove all those dangerous sidewalks?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »

Portland Maine, or Portland Oregon? I guess in the end it does not matter anyhoo, Portland is Portland.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »

Sidewalk NIMBYs... now I've heard everything.

They are probably not looking forward to shoveling snow in the winter or edging the grass all summer.

In the town where I grew up, snow had to be removed the full width of the sidewalk within 24 hours after the snow stopped.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:56 pm »

Portland Maine, or Portland Oregon? I guess in the end it does not matter anyhoo, Portland is Portland.

The discussion had included Portland OR previously.  You know nobody cares about Portland Maine....they don't have the donuts!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #628 on: November 06, 2014, 12:03:06 pm »

Construction Begins on Tulsa's Gathering Place

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/construction-begins-tulsas-gathering-place

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Construction is beginning on the city's newest park along the Arkansas River.

Work began this week on the first phase of "A Gathering Place for Tulsa, which is being funded by a mix of corporate and philanthropic Tulsa organizations — including the George Kaiser Family Foundation, which recently made a $350 million pledge toward the project.

The park will include features such as a lodge, boathouse, nature walks, two land bridges, sporting areas and a pond, among other amenities.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held in September on the project.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #629 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/story/27461818/tulsa-public-meeting-held-monday-over-riverside-drive-sidewalk

A public meeting will be held over a block-long piece of sidewalk that is sparking controversy in a neighborhood next to Tulsa's planned Gathering Place park.

Mayor Dewey Bartlett changed sidewalk plans for a block on the east side of Riverside Drive that runs from East 26th Place to Gathering Place. The executive order overrides city policy and is against the advice of the city's top traffic engineer.

Instead, he sided with homeowners - including the landlord of the mayor's private office.

The Maple Ridge Homeowner's Association is against the sidewalk citing property values and preservation. Another group represented by Smart Growth Tulsa says it makes no sense to depart from Tulsa's Comprehensive Plan and poses barriers for adults in wheelchairs, on bike and on foot.

A town meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, November 24 at the Tulsa Garden Center, 2435 South Peoria, to discuss the proposed sidewalk.

TULSA, Oklahoma - The sidewalk was initially planned to start at 21st and Boulder's Veteran's Park and connect to Gathering Place. Pedestrians will have to use a crosswalk to detour to the west side of Riverside Drive then cross back over into the park at a land bridge.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org