A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:53:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767525 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2014, 06:07:56 am »

In some ways, Tulsa tried to be ahead of the curve in the 70's. After the "white flight" in the late 60's, and the shopping change with South Roads and South Land, and the roof collapse of North Land Shopping Center, everything shifted south and east. I give credit to Main Mall, and then the Williams Center Forum trying to jump start down town, but it was too little too late. Even the development of Gilcrease Hills residential area was not enough in the early 70's. I still think that if the Ford Glass Plant was built anywhere but where it was built would have changed the face of Tulsa in the direction that Tulsa grew.

I truly feel that what happened to Tulsa became a case of apathy. No body cared about downtown. Even if you went to an Oilers game or a concert, you went in, and left. And the loss of old buildings and turning them into parking lots, I'm glad that both Mayo buildings survived, too many others haven't.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

We went to a haunted house in the Ma Hu.  I'm thinking it was '75 or '76.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:02 am »

We went to a haunted house in the Ma Hu.  I'm thinking it was '75 or '76.

"Scream In The Dark" ran '73, '74, and '75. One of several fires in late 1975 ended Scream by severely damaging the house. The last fire that was the nail in the coffin was in '77 or '78 that started in the basement and destroyed a large portion of the flooring for the ground floor, and spread to the upper level of the house turning it into a shell.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »

Never heard of Ma Hu.  Pray tell the location and back story?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »

http://tulsatvmemories.com/mahu.html

http://www.tulsaokhistory.com/photogallery/mahumansion.html

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

Never heard of Ma Hu.  Pray tell the location and back story?

http://tulsatvmemories.com/mahuwrld.html (taken from a Tulsa World story in 1999)

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:01 pm »

Thanks.  Moved to Tulsa early 00's.  Long gone by then.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:02 pm »

The best haunted house around is "The Shadows Edge" in Omaha, NE- it's 15 rooms and is open from Sept to Nov. 1st. >>>http://theshadowsedge.com/contact.htm

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »

http://groupon.com/deals/the-shadows-edge-haunted-house  >> It's easy to get to it's located a block north from I-80 at the 84th street exit. Best haunted house I ever been to. Oh yeah, outside of the haunted house is a haunted yard too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:12:33 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »

http://groupon.com/deals/the-shadows-edge-haunted-house  >> It's easy to get to it's located a block north from I-80 at the 84th street exit. Best haunted house I ever been to. Oh yeah, outside of the haunted house is a haunted yard too.

Name of the forum is "Tulsa Now".  Not "Omaha Now"....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:04 pm »

Name of the forum is "Tulsa Now".  Not "Omaha Now"....
The idea of the forum is to make Tulsa a better place to live, by looking at what others cities have and do, it can inprove life here in Tulsa- widen your horizions and look outside the city limits.... Tulsa is not a bubble

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »

Please explain how you writing about a haunted house in Omaha makes Tulsa a better place.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

The idea of the forum is to make Tulsa a better place to live, by looking at what others cities have and do, it can inprove life here in Tulsa- widen your horizions and look outside the city limits.... Tulsa is not a bubble

We're talking about a Tulsa park in the works and you go off on a tangent about an Omaha haunted house.

How about staying on topic, even if you don't live here.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2014, 03:25:13 pm »

We're talking about a Tulsa park in the works and you go off on a tangent about an Omaha haunted house.

How about staying on topic, even if you don't live here.

He lives in a bubble, or is it a vacuum? I'm not sure which it is.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »

He lives in a bubble, or is it a vacuum? I'm not sure which it is.

I think it’s a dust bag of a vacuum cleaner, actually.  Explains a few things.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org