A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:41:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 771868 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:58 pm »

to be accurate, it was Saturday nite. I was watching the Superbowl on Sunday too.

The area from Lewis to Harvard has had its deaths. The Scooter shop, Antique stores are in and out within months, the Gardener lady, the McKee building, the car lot across from it is a new tenant, and lots of little shops that didn't last long enough to make mental note. Yes, some of the long term folks who have bought their buildings or established clientele over many years still do well there. It is not a real healthy stretch of shops though.

Cherry Street proper has lots of vacant space on the south side between Utica and the Church. The new health food store looks really slow on the north. White Owl is over. We ate at Doe's on a Saturday nite recently and were...alone. Enjoyed talking to the owner and his dog though. I remember a children's store that was nearby but I think its gone now. The Lincoln center is slow as well. Is TeKei still there? My guess is that retail is a bust on that stretch. Restaurants, medical, insurance, banks, lawyers, the carwash and franchises are ok because of nearby hospital business.

Hey, I like these areas. I don't say this from just driving by. I drive partiers, reunions and organizations around town. They seldom request Cherry Street. Brady and, to a lesser extent Brookside, command them. But Tulsa has always been that way. An area gets hot, everyone wants to go there...until the next hot area comes. We aren't growing fast enough to support them all. Brookside is lucky to have a demographic living around it that is large and patronizes the area often by foot. Cherry got ravaged to the north and has to share with Utica Square to the south.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

Ahh, I think I know what the problem is!  Mine is:

Yours is:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »

to be accurate, it was Saturday nite. I was watching the Superbowl on Sunday too.

The area from Lewis to Harvard has had its deaths. The Scooter shop,

The Scooter Shop? Man, I hated that place. It replaced The Tap Room. Of course I think that was back in ’93 or ‘94.

#grumpyoldmanrant
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »

Cherry Street proper has lots of vacant space on the south side between Utica and the Church. The new health food store looks really slow on the north. White Owl is over. We ate at Doe's on a Saturday nite recently and were...alone. Enjoyed talking to the owner and his dog though. I remember a children's store that was nearby but I think its gone now. The Lincoln center is slow as well. Is TeKei still there? My guess is that retail is a bust on that stretch. Restaurants, medical, insurance, banks, lawyers, the carwash and franchises are ok because of nearby hospital business.

Hey, I like these areas. I don't say this from just driving by. I drive partiers, reunions and organizations around town. They seldom request Cherry Street. Brady and, to a lesser extent Brookside, command them. But Tulsa has always been that way. An area gets hot, everyone wants to go there...until the next hot area comes. We aren't growing fast enough to support them all. Brookside is lucky to have a demographic living around it that is large and patronizes the area often by foot. Cherry got ravaged to the north and has to share with Utica Square to the south.

White owl is relocating.  The building owners are putting something else in of their own.  Doe's has driven me away. The Snail is doing few any favors by keeping its doors open, (IMO).  
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:31 pm »

White owl is relocating.  The building owners are putting something else in of their own.  Doe's has driven me away. The Snail is doing few any favors by keeping its doors open, (IMO).  

Doe’s has managed to stay there for at least 6-7 years I’m aware of.  No thanks to me, that’s for certain.

There’s quite a bit of stability on that part of Cherry St., IMO.  Chimi’s, Jason’s, Palace Cafe, Tucci’s, Full Moon, Smoke (even before Smoke there was not rapid churn in that spot), Lucky’s, Qdoba, LaDonna’s, Panera, Drake’s, the coffee shop, Hideaway, Kilkenny’s, etc. ad nauseum.  I don’t think Cherry St. has been a passing fad at all nor has it lost favor.  It’s been one of the more stable areas of locally-owned retail and service businesses in the city.  When MC and I finally purchased wedding bands at Spexton, they said the move to Cherry Street really helped their visibility and business.  Even restaurants with less than stellar menus manage to find long term stability.  Walk it any Friday or Saturday night when it’s not raining or snowing from end to end at 7pm and I bet it looks a lot different.

Sounds like I need to take Aqua out for a beer and cheer him up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »

Sounds like I need to take Aqua out for a beer and cheer him up.

I'll go
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #321 on: February 03, 2014, 03:35:51 pm »

I'm changing clothes to go run a mile or so. I've drank so much beer, rum, wine and vodka and eaten so well the last month that I am soft, sloppy fat and angry about it. Grew a good beard though.

We'll see if that helps my attitude. Patience appreciated.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:45 pm »

I'm changing clothes to go run a mile or so. I've drank so much beer, rum, wine and vodka and eaten so well the last month that I am soft, sloppy fat and angry about it. Grew a good beard though.

We'll see if that helps my attitude. Patience appreciated.

Yeah, I got a little doughy around the middle the last month as well. If all else fails, Townsend and I will meet you out for a beer.  Been too long anyhow.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »

Townsend and I will meet you out for a beer.  Been too long anyhow.

Indeed
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2014, 05:24:17 pm »

What's that Arlo Guthrie lyric?....one person talking alone may just be crazy, two people talking are conspiratorial, three and you got a movement!

I could use some inspiration. Name a place and a time.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:01 pm »

What's that Arlo Guthrie lyric?....one person talking alone may just be crazy, two people talking are conspiratorial, three and you got a movement!

I could use some inspiration. Name a place and a time.

Fur shop?  Hodges bend?  What nights work?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:26 am »

Fur shop?  Hodges bend?  What nights work?

Let’s let the weather clear out and pick a day/evening next week.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:35 am »

Doe’s has managed to stay there for at least 6-7 years I’m aware of.  No thanks to me, that’s for certain.

closer to 11 I think
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:14 am »

closer to 11 I think

Wow! How is that possible?  It’s incredibly MEH.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:28 am »

Let’s let the weather clear out and pick a day/evening next week.

Wow, I feel so left out.   Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org