A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:29 am
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767581 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:27 am »

I'm curious, what kind of museum would they put here on Crow Creek?  Seems like a good place for relocating the Tulsa Children's Museum, with all of the other kid-friendly spaces nearby.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:04 am »

I'm curious, what kind of museum would they put here on Crow Creek?  Seems like a good place for relocating the Tulsa Children's Museum, with all of the other kid-friendly spaces nearby.

You might just be on to something there......
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »

Yes, The Channels was just a pipe dream.   The 2007 Kaiser plan was the Tulsa County "River Tax" which passed in Tulsa City Limits but failed county-wide, and upon failure the CoT captured the revenue in the 2008 Streets tax.

So now look who is building a skyscraper on an artificial island in the river:

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/River-Spirit-breaks-ground-on-expansion/ksioPXO8PE6hEQ4oWM42GA.cspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »

So now look who is building a skyscraper on an artificial island in the river:

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/River-Spirit-breaks-ground-on-expansion/ksioPXO8PE6hEQ4oWM42GA.cspx

Where should we be looking?  I don't see any islands or landfill proposed by the Creeks...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:08 am »

If i remember the 80's correctly, and that's debatable, the whole complex is built on fill. I worked that account for the NPC during that time and watched in amazement as they pushed, dumped and re-arranged sand along the river bank.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2013, 11:36:53 am »

Per a TW article shared on FB, ONEOK is contributing $10,000,000 over ten years to the project.

Too bad people don't see that this kind of thing would happen more if we'd support more projects like this.

We'll have wider streets though.
Downtowner
Tourist

« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »

How about one of these to run in River Parks with a station at The Gathering Place?   www.Shweeb.com
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »

QuikTrip contributing $12.5 million

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/local/quiktrip-pledges-million-to-gathering-place-project/article_30f771ed-8c61-578e-bb5d-67ccb79c2a87.html?mode=jqm

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2013, 01:08:55 pm »

The Arkansas, The Future

http://kwgs.com/post/arkansas-future

What should be done about the Arkansas River in Tulsa?

A new task force got down to work today at city Hall.   City Councilor G.T. Bynum wants to be sure lessons learned from past river proposals are remembered.

G.T. BYNUM: "We just need to do our homework better than we have done to date on this in order to develop that proposal."

Bynum says any plans must be well vetted and include input from all the communities along the river in Tulsa County.

Those at the table for today's discussion, included Mayor Bartlett and Jenks Mayor Vic Vreeland. The Tulsa Regional Chamber of Commerce President Mike Neal was also there.

Wouldn't the lessons learned be to allow each city along the river to develop its own part of the River?
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »

If i remember the 80's correctly, and that's debatable, the whole complex is built on fill. I worked that account for the NPC during that time and watched in amazement as they pushed, dumped and re-arranged sand along the river bank.

Is it realistic to have dredging as a part of the low-water dams to give the river water?  Not sure if the sand would have a use, but with flooding it seems logical that a pool performs better than just damming.

I've lived in Louisiana so levies make sense... build up a 10'-levie/ridgeline that is an extension of Riverside Park into the river bed and then dig it deep into the river itself.  Have a couple of low water dams upstream and a big pool downstream.  Dredge regularly.

It just seems like the cost they are projecting is high.  $40-or-how-many-million?

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Stanley1
Activist

« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »

Where is the parking?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »

Where is the parking?

Spread throughout the park.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2013, 01:08:41 pm »

Where is the parking?

Where the Bald Eagle and Least Tern breeding grounds were?  Wink

On a serous note, I havent been hearing anything on what consideration is being given to the endangered species there,
especially when it comes to lessening the impact of area lighting on migrations.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2013, 04:41:43 pm »

Perhaps I've missed this in the commentary, but I had heard they were going to move the Blair Mansion from the property.  I now understand it will be demolished in the next month or so.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:03:45 pm by Patrick » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »

Where the Bald Eagle and Least Tern breeding grounds were?  Wink

On a serous note, I havent been hearing anything on what consideration is being given to the endangered species there,
especially when it comes to lessening the impact of area lighting on migrations.

What endangered species reside in that area? I haven't seen any Eagles. Mostly fox, nutria, some geese, owls, egrets, and blue herons. None of those are at risk. The terns are nesting upstream and downstream from the area.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org