A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:13:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767301 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:38 am »

I think the channels river plan of 2007 was pushed by the Warren family and not Kaiser.

Confusion over whether the Kaiser 2007 river plan and the Warren-led 2006 Channels was being voted on was one reason cited for failure of the vote in '07.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:52 am »

Water makes you stupid. Look at surfers.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2013, 11:36:31 am »

Water makes you stupid. Look at surfers.

You just need to back off a bit more so you can't see any details.  The long distance shots of them on the big waves are good.

Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

I think the channels river plan of 2007 was pushed by the Warren family and not Kaiser.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »

I think the channels river plan of 2007 2006 was pushed by the Warren family and not Kaiser.

Now it's correct

from comments of http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A47231 :
There WAS a river development package that was put to a vote in 2006 (see Our River Yes), but it was in no way related to Tulsa Channels. GKFF was prepared to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to develop the river if Tulsa County voters approved a bond package to pay for the rest. Residents in the City of Tulsa voted in favor of it, with those living nearest the river approving of it in higher numbers. Voters in Owasso, Broken Arrow and other outlying areas not as directly impacted by river development overwhelmingly disapproved, and ultimately outnumbered the 'yes' votes in the City of Tulsa.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2013, 01:22:35 pm »

The author of that article makes a number of mis-statements.  "The Channels" was never on a ballot, The Stakeholders and their concept gradually faded away until, then county commissioner Randi Miller, proposed the make-over that led to the failed river tax vote in late 2007.  Secondly, the Blue Rose did not "relocate" to River Parks.  It was an idle concept which had left Brookside years prior to the opening on the river.  Third, it's "Oktoberfest" not "Octoberfest", there's plenty more to snipe at but I'll quit there.

There were a number of troubling issues about the 2007 ballot measure:

-They tried to cram it through as quickly as possible with many vague details.  I believe it was roughly 90 days from roll out to vote.  I was told later that part of the reason for the rush was signs of a pending economic slowdown.

-There were still outstanding studies due from the USACE as to whether or not a lot of the proposals to the river flow and dams were even possible.  Those results would not be available until well after the election took place.

-They made it county-wide thinking the V-2025 approach was the way to get it passed since the "Tulsa Time" vote failed in getting necessary $$ to build a new arena.  The mistake here, there was no "chicken in every pot" like there was in V-2025 so people in Collinsville, Owasso, and other areas really didn't see anything in it for them to vote for

-The over-inflated price for the concrete plant on the west bank which would have been purchased for approximately 1/5 to 1/6 of the total package cost made it look like some lucky property owner was going to get royally greased by tax payers.

-Confusion over this being "The Channels".  Bing Thom's vision for Tulsa, as an outsider, rubbed many the wrong way.  It also had the image that a bunch of wealthy people would benefit from these islands with high-rise condos and not many others.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »

I got the Bing Thom three islands confused with Gilligan's three hour tour.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »

That is essentially my memory as well Conan. There was also that group in Jenks that wanted the Drillers about that time wasn't there? Lots of confusion, hyperbole, jealousy and conspiracy. The result was failure.

onward...through the fog
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »

Confusion over whether the Kaiser 2007 river plan and the Warren-led 2006 Channels was being voted on was one reason cited for failure of the vote in '07.

Yes, The Channels was just a pipe dream.   The 2007 Kaiser plan was the Tulsa County "River Tax" which passed in Tulsa City Limits but failed county-wide, and upon failure the CoT captured the revenue in the 2008 Streets tax.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »

I got the Bing Thom three islands confused with Gilligan's three hour tour.

I get bing cherries confused with Chandler Bing all the time.

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »

I like this project a LOT.  Basically what will happen is this:

Tulsa will get a WORLD class central park that will attract people from all over the Tulsa area (including Broken Arow, Glenpool and Owasso, communities who voted down the GKFF-sponsored river plan in 2007) and then they will all say, "Wow this is nice!!! But what the hell is up with that river over there?  There's never any water in it!!"  ... and then meanwhile, back at GKFF headquarters, there is a collective "I know, right!?....Dumbasses"

lol

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »

That is so true.

As regards the concrete plant that people were so incensed about making a windfall profit, they weren't even interested in selling it. Still aren't. It takes a lot of money to buy something someone doesn't want to sell.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:04 pm »

It takes a lot of money to buy something someone doesn't want to sell.

So true.  I have a few things I would willingly sell for a price WELL above fair market price.  Anyone want to buy a 98 Buick Regal GS for $1,000,000. ?  I'll let you have it Monday for cash.

Grin

warreng88
Tourist

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

I like this project a LOT.  Basically what will happen is this:

Tulsa will get a WORLD class central park that will attract people from all over the Tulsa area (including Broken Arow, Glenpool and Owasso, communities who voted down the GKFF-sponsored river plan in 2007) and then they will all say, "Wow this is nice!!! But what the hell is up with that river over there?  There's never any water in it!!"  ... and then meanwhile, back at GKFF headquarters, there is a collective "I know, right!?....Dumbasses"

lol

It's like buying a house that is a fixer-upper: The minute you fix one thing, something else stands out that needs to be fixed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2013, 11:05:30 am »

I get bing cherries confused with Chandler Bing all the time.

Chandler did work in Tulsa for awhile, although not long enough for them to send one camera to get any location b-roll.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org