A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767265 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #900 on: January 26, 2018, 10:52:01 am »

The playground areas are opening for select school groups to tour starting today.

Still no set date for the park to open to the public or Riverside to open yet.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #901 on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:19 pm »

Here is the new sidewalk that caused such an uproar a while back.  

Without a much closer look, the LED lighting appears to be overkill, and it wont be just the neighbors affected.
As excited as I am about the park, im also saddened that there seems to be little regard for the wildlife along the river.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:41:23 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #902 on: February 19, 2018, 06:42:43 am »

Did you see any of "those people" using it? Just wondering exactly when the property values are going to plummet.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #903 on: February 19, 2018, 09:46:23 am »

Did you see any of "those people" using it? Just wondering exactly when the property values are going to plummet.

Not sure about the sidewalk and the homes along Riverside, but on the back side we are seeing a fairly major uptick in petty theft and related.  I live in the area immediately to the East of the part and as part of the building of the park a home was removed at roughly 27th street.  (I think for sewer/water line access for the park.) Not sure what is going to happen once the part is finished, but right now there is a considerable uptick in homeless traffic through that opening.  The fences to the park have been cut, and there is evidence of homeless occupation, etc. Numerous homeowners are installing cameras, etc.  I still think (hope?) that once the park is finished and things settle in that a lot of this will go away, but it is a real problem that has been exacerbated by the park construction. 

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #904 on: February 19, 2018, 10:57:35 am »

I thought we weren't supposed to say "those people."  I thought we agreed to just refer to them as "poors" to make sure everyone knew we weren't racist and that we want to keep all poor people from walking to a park.   Wink

Did we build a brick and wrought iron fence for them?  How nice.  The BA has been there for a generation and we can't even get a sound barrier. (I realize one property had a simple wrought iron fence and the government rightly should move and rebuild it for them, I was just trying to sarcastically match the bitterness, which as I type out an explanation, I realize probably isn't funny anymore)  Wink

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #905 on: February 19, 2018, 11:50:35 am »

Not sure about the sidewalk and the homes along Riverside, but on the back side we are seeing a fairly major uptick in petty theft and related.  I live in the area immediately to the East of the part and as part of the building of the park a home was removed at roughly 27th street.  (I think for sewer/water line access for the park.) Not sure what is going to happen once the part is finished, but right now there is a considerable uptick in homeless traffic through that opening.  The fences to the park have been cut, and there is evidence of homeless occupation, etc. Numerous homeowners are installing cameras, etc.  I still think (hope?) that once the park is finished and things settle in that a lot of this will go away, but it is a real problem that has been exacerbated by the park construction. 

Will Hazel Blvd connect to the park?  Or will there at least be a pedestrian connection here?  The only other connection for Maple Ridge east of the park is at 26th.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #906 on: February 19, 2018, 12:26:13 pm »

Will Hazel Blvd connect to the park?  Or will there at least be a pedestrian connection here?  The only other connection for Maple Ridge east of the park is at 26th.

Its shows the Hazel pedestrian connection on the renderings, and I have not heard that it will go away, so I assume it will still be there.   Where they took out the house is two blocks South of there, basically where 27th PL and 28th St come together at Cincinnati.   I don't know if they plan another pedestrian access there or not, but the lay of the land there is problematic with a significant rise from street level to the old bike path.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #907 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

Its shows the Hazel pedestrian connection on the renderings, and I have not heard that it will go away, so I assume it will still be there.   Where they took out the house is two blocks South of there, basically where 27th PL and 28th St come together at Cincinnati.   I don't know if they plan another pedestrian access there or not, but the lay of the land there is problematic with a significant rise from street level to the old bike path.

Also,  there is planned access at 30th st as well.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #908 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:10 pm »

I would guess most if not all those smaller houses that back up to the park aren't going to last long. Investors have to snapping those up to build either denser housing or much larger houses.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #909 on: February 19, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »

Also,  there is planned access at 30th st as well.

Good to know that Maple Ridge will have those connection points.  

Long-term they have to be thinking about how they can better link this park to Brookside.  Building a trail along Crow Creek makes sense but I haven't seen any plans for it.  Same goes for the mixed-use development on the site of the apartments they tore down, really curious what their plans are for that area.

Some kind of synergy between the Gathering Place and Woodward Park/Philbrook/Utica Square would be nice, not sure the best way to do that though.  Extending a future Crow Creek trail to Zink Park and toward Philbrook would be great but would be challenging.  Getting to Peoria should be the first priority.

Same goes for connecting the park to downtown, if only the Midland Valley trail could be extended into downtown via the Cincinnati flyover and protected bike lanes on Cincinnati/Detroit.  

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #910 on: February 19, 2018, 02:14:38 pm »

Long-term they have to be thinking about how they can better link this park to Brookside.  Building a trail along Crow Creek makes sense but I haven't seen any plans for it.  Same goes for the mixed-use development on the site of the apartments they tore down, really curious what their plans are for that area.

Some kind of synergy between the Gathering Place and Woodward Park/Philbrook/Utica Square would be nice, not sure the best way to do that though.  Extending a future Crow Creek trail to Zink Park and toward Philbrook would be great but would be challenging.  Getting to Peoria should be the first priority.

Same goes for connecting the park to downtown, if only the Midland Valley trail could be extended into downtown via the Cincinnati flyover and protected bike lanes on Cincinnati/Detroit.  

A Crow Creek trail from Peoria to the River Trail (and thereby the Gathering Place) would be amazing.  Boulder Colorado has a pretty cool trail along a creek that was impressive and connected CU campus with a retail area.  Of course if a sidewalk on a major street caused controversy, I can't imagine the outcry about homeless colonies and all bad things imaginable about a more hidden trail through a residential neighborhood.  Won't someone please think of the children!!

As for Utica Square, I've biked from the Rivertrail to Utica Square using 25th/24th street through the neighborhoods.  It's not a designated bike lane, but it's pretty easy to navigate and is generally bike friendly.  If someone really wanted to walk, that would be a decent way to go, and is relatively safe despite a lack of sidewalks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:17:13 pm by DowntownDan » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #911 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »

A Crow Creek trail from Peoria to the River Trail (and thereby the Gathering Place) would be amazing.  Boulder Colorado has a pretty cool trail along a creek that was impressive and connected CU campus with a retail area.  Of course if a sidewalk on a major street caused controversy, I can't imagine the outcry about homeless colonies and all bad things imaginable about a more hidden trail through a residential neighborhood.  Won't someone please think of the children!!

As for Utica Square, I've biked from the Rivertrail to Utica Square using 25th/24th street through the neighborhoods.  It's not a designated bike lane, but it's pretty easy to navigate and is generally bike friendly.  If someone really wanted to walk, that would be a decent way to go, and is relatively safe despite a lack of sidewalks.

A Crow Creek trail has been planned for many years.  This is INCOG's plan from 2005:

And even referenced in Gathering Place presentations as part of Phase 2 with the Children's Museum:

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #912 on: February 19, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »

Opposition from the landowner goes away when the deal includes a free very expensive wall/fence.

Amazing how their opinions changed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #913 on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:31 pm »

I would guess most if not all those smaller houses that back up to the park aren't going to last long. Investors have to snapping those up to build either denser housing or much larger houses.

I'm not sure that backing up directly to the park is the most desirable spot.  You can't get directly to the park from your back yard (at least not easily), and you have to deal with the noise, lack of privacy, etc.  (For the houses that abut the old train line, the line is elevated, such that everyone using the trail looks down into your backyard.)  Overall however, you are spot on.  There have been numerous upgrades and teardowns in the neighborhood over the last year or so, and I expect that to continue.   In particular, the houses South of 31st street have seen amazing turnover in the last two years.  (North of 31st, the per-foot home price was already fairly high, but not so to the South of 31st.  The remodelers and re-builders have had a field day down there.)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:15:32 pm by rebound » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #914 on: February 19, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »

Some kind of synergy between the Gathering Place and Woodward Park/Philbrook/Utica Square would be nice, not sure the best way to do that though.  Extending a future Crow Creek trail to Zink Park and toward Philbrook would be great but would be challenging.  Getting to Peoria should be the first priority.

They are almost done working on 31st between Riverside and Peoria.  I have heard that the new layout for that portion of 31st will be only two lanes (one each way) with dedicated bike lanes on each side and nice sidewalks.  If so, that will do a lot to connect the park to Brookside. 

Can anyone confirm the new final design for that section?

Also, they are building new sidewalks along the South side of 31st, East of Peoria over to, at least, Zink park.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org