A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:10:21 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pain At The Pump  (Read 12931 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 06:07:22 pm »

Divide the electric cost by ten and you have a realistic number. The electricity to run the Volt in Oklahoma should cost around 2 cents a mile.

The average miles per gallon for cars sold in America last year was 22 MPH. Gas costs $3.499 at the station by my house today. That means gasoline costs for the average car is 16 cents per mile.

The Volt car sales are sluggish for a variety of other reasons. The most important reason is the $40,000 sticker price. Yes, you do get a $7,500 tax credit, but that is still $32.5K and the Toyota Prius is $29K. The non-hybrid Honda Insight (43 MPH) costs under $20K.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »

BTW,  a major refinery in PA run by Sunoco is due to close this June due to losing a Billion dollars, in the NE they have no pipelines and have to get oil by barge and they have to use a more expensive kind of crude oil that costs $15.00 more a barrel than west Texas crude oil, so the refinery is shutting down and the result will be fuel and heating oil  prices in the NE will go into orbit. The Boston Globe had a article about this.. Sunoco is looking for a buyer for the refinery. I'd hate to see what gas prices will be under a 2nd Obama term...

I don't know about the crude oil pipelines but there are several product pipelines in the NE.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.- Albert Einstein

Had the expressways with six lanes and auto’s been available in his time I am sure he would have added the price of gasoline.  Auto’s have become a status quo with the new credit plans and they fill the six lane expressways.   

What happened to the electric cars that PSO was trying out?

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.
16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

Lots of lies there.  The biggest and most obvious one is the cost of electricity the author quotes.  The highest electricity rate in the US is in Honolulu at 21.8 cents per kwh. 

But hey, the story is not nearly as incendiary if truth is used.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »

Interesting thing about oil and gas...if it were such a critical issue of "national security" as you know who would have us believe and refineries are in such a dire state, then why is it we now export more gasoline than we import?

Not because of national security issues, that's for sure.  It is because oil, gas, diesel are all among the most fungible commodities the world has ever seen.

But hey, that's another case of reality not being nearly as incendiary as the dogma.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »

The highest electricity rate in the US is in Honolulu at 21.8 cents per kwh. 

If you count the cost for the privilege of being connected, I can beat that 21.8 cents/KWH.  At my hangar at KRVS, I pay about $37 before I use the first KWH.  The per KWH charge is on top of that.  Then there is 2% Tulsa franchise fee, 3.16% City tax, 4.5% State tax and 0.85% County tax on top of the base and per KWH charge.  My most recent bill is $41.02 for 16 KWH.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 11:50:09 pm »

My most recent bill is $41.02 for 16 KWH.

If you were charging a Volt there, the per-kWh effective rate would be significantly lower. Half if you charged it only once a month. Think of all the money you could be saving! Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 06:38:23 am »

If you were charging a Volt there, the per-kWh effective rate would be significantly lower.

It could be significantly lower if I even just left a light on.

Half if you charged it only once a month. Think of all the money you could be saving! Wink

It would actually be a bit more than half since if I used more KWH (assuming I was adding 16KWH, not substituting) the bill would go up some even though the effective rate per KWH would come down.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:43 am »

Meanwhile, Holly Corp makes record profits. I'm about ready to recommend price controls for refineries and a hammer on their environmental lies.

HollyFrontier reports $1 billion profit for 2011
By ROD WALTON World Staff Writer
Published: 2/29/2012  2:25 AM
Last Modified: 2/29/2012  2:58 AM

What company officials called "historically strong" refining margins lifted HollyFrontier Corp. to $223.4 million in net income for the fourth quarter, the Dallas-based refinery owner reported Tuesday.

HollyFrontier, which owns and operates the west Tulsa refinery, reported $1 billion, or $6.42 per diluted share, in profit for all of 2011. The net income was nearly 10 times higher than 2010 but reflected increased scale due to the merger of Holly Corp. and Frontier Oil Corp. last summer.

"We are especially pleased with the company's full-year results, as this was the most profitable year in our history," CEO Mike Jennings said in a statement. "Looking forward, the differentials between inland and coastal crudes are fairly robust, which should contribute favorably to our first-quarter results."

Overall refinery gross margins hit $15.32 per produced barrel in the fourth quarter, up 95 percent from the $7.87 gross margin in 2010's fourth quarter. HollyFrontier's production levels averaged 438,000 barrels per day. The Mid-Continent segment, which includes refineries in Tulsa and El Dorado, Kan., produced an average of nearly 195,000 barrels per day in 2011. Gross margin averaged $19.59 per barrel, more than $6 better than the 2010 figures for the same region, while the $14.55 net margin was a 457 percent improvement over the comparable 2010 per-barrel margin.

"Throughout the year our plants ran well with high throughput rates," Jennings said a morning conference call with analysts. HollyFrontier sees near-term challenges with crude transportation bottlenecks but remains "optimistic about refining margins in the Mid-Con, Rockies and Southwest markets that we serve."

The Tulsa refinery is capable of processing and producing up to 125,000 daily barrels in gasoline, diesel, jet fuels, speciality lubricants, asphalt and other products.

Holly Corp., which bought the Sunoco Inc. refinery in summer 2009 and the Sinclair refinery six months later, operates the two facilities as one complex connected by pipelines.

HollyFrontier Corp. earnings

4Q 2011   4Q 2010   Full-year 2011    Full-year 2010   Pct change*
Revenues   4.97B    $2.21B   $15.44B    $8.32B    85.5 %
Net income   $223.4M    $208.7M    $1.02B    $104M    884.4 %
Net per share    $1.06    $0.13    $6.42    $0.97    561.9 %

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=49&articleid=20120229_49_E1_Waopnf908932
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=49&articleid=20120229_49_E1_Waopnf908932

here's the link http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=49&articleid=20120228_49_0_Whatco646979 to the original article which speaks to how they connect pipelines to call it "one" refinery...there's probably other corrections connections but the stench gets to me...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:18:50 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAXykSecFBY[/youtube]

Has the right wingnut lie machine started taking this remark out of context and turning it into another one of their tall tales?

I quit listening to KRMG so let me know.... Shocked
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:33 pm »

I quit listening to KRMG so let me know.... Shocked

I've quit following your links to videos.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »

I've quit following your links to videos.

yeah, quite a few people on here I've stopped doing that for.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org