A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:54:00 am
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keystone XL Pipeline  (Read 131522 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #255 on: November 21, 2017, 05:43:46 pm »

So far, I haven't seen an article that talks about what caused the spill, how it was discovered, or if automatic mitigation systems worked.  I'm interested to hear why a new pipeline leaked.  Human error?  Construction issue? Damage?

Low bid construction.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2017, 06:14:29 pm »

Low bid construction.

The money is in cleanup.  Job Creators.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:25 pm »

The money is in cleanup.  Job Creators.

And lack of DOT action to require real pipeline inspections from construction to de-commissioning.  The approach is "don't ask, don't tell..."   If they don't inspect, they can claim "they didn't know..."   But they do.  Proper inspection has been available for decades now.  Just not required as much as it should be.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »

And lack of DOT action to require real pipeline inspections from construction to de-commissioning.  The approach is "don't ask, don't tell..."   If they don't inspect, they can claim "they didn't know..."   But they do.  Proper inspection has been available for decades now.  Just not required as much as it should be.

At least according to the PMHSA, pipeline incidents are down by 20% since 2009.

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pipeline/inspections/inspections-overview

I'd say the idea proper inspections aren't taking place is bunk.  There is no benefit to companies paying out fines and costly emergency repairs in lieu of normal maintenance and routine repairs.  For the amount of product moved via pipeline vs. rail, truck, and water; pipelines still have a very good record per bbl moved.  They also help cut carbon emissions which otherwise would be necessary moving via rail, truck, or boat.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:16:02 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2017, 08:59:18 pm »

At least according to the PMHSA, pipeline incidents are down by 20% since 2009.

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pipeline/inspections/inspections-overview

I'd say the idea proper inspections aren't taking place is bunk.  There is no benefit to companies paying out fines and costly emergency repairs in lieu of normal maintenance and routine repairs.  For the amount of product moved via pipeline vs. rail, truck, and water; pipelines still have a very good record per bbl moved.  They also help cut carbon emissions which otherwise would be necessary moving via rail, truck, or boat.

Adequate inspections are not being done.  (I thought you used to work in a related industry??)  What IS bunk is that this situation has been allowed to continue since the testing gear became available.  From a place of working in the industry for well over 25 years.   And having created inspection tools that were not implemented for the very simple reason I have stated before - no DOT requirements for that inspection.   It ain't rocket science - the technology has been working, cost-effective, and widely available since the very early 90's to do essentially 100% inspection.  And consciously chosen NOT to do that inspection.  Granted there are pipes out there where incompetent management allowed build conditions that hinder internal inspection tools - and DOT should have required straightening those out decades ago!   The pipes have bends that are too tight for an inspection pig to traverse, like 90 degree and even tighter.   And the tool is available to identify all of those, too.  How do I know that?  I have made those, too.  Why do I say incompetent management?  Because a very short term view allowed tight bends in particular, which may save a dollar or two up front, but costs huge amounts of extra money due to much higher pumping costs over the lifetime of the pipeline.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2022, 09:28:32 pm »

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — An oil spill in a creek in northeastern Kansas shut down a major pipeline that carries oil from Canada to the Texas Gulf Coast, briefly causing oil prices to rise on Thursday.

Canada-based TC Energy said it shut down its Keystone system Wednesday night following a drop in pipeline pressure. It said oil spilled into a creek in Washington County, Kansas, about 150 miles (241 kilometers) northwest of Kansas City.

The company said in a news release that the pipeline segment where the spill occurred had been “isolated” and that the company was using booms, or barriers, to keep the spilled oil from moving downstream. It didn't say how much oil was spilled or what caused the spill.

In 2019, the Keystone pipeline leaked an estimated 383,000 gallons (1.4 million liters) of oil in eastern North Dakota, damaging about five acres.

Janet Kleeb, who founded the Bold Nebraska environmental and landowner rights group that campaigned against the Keystone XL, said there have been at least 22 spills along the original Keystone pipeline since it went into service in 2010. She said federal studies have shown that the type of heavy tar sands oil the pipeline carries can be especially difficult to clean up in water because it tends to sink.

The spill was 5 miles (8 kilometers) northeast of Washington, the county seat of about 1,100 residents. Paul Stewart, an area farmer, said part of it was contained on his land using yellow booms and a dam of dirt. The spill occurred in Mill Creek, which flows into the Little Blue River. That river feeds the Big Blue River, which flows into Tuttle Creek Lake, north of Manhattan, home of Kansas State University.

https://tulsaworld.com/ap/business/oil-spill-in-rural-kansas-creek-shuts-down-keystone-pipeline/article_d36e9d28-c269-5246-a788-6a7517f349cc.html

Video:  https://youtu.be/9g_47hr6qkY

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:07:40 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org