A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:37 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keystone XL Pipeline  (Read 130763 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 12:00:55 pm »

Yeah, like taking care of worrying about illegal immigrants when her prison department is letting dangerous criminals escape so they can butcher Oklahomans on vacation.

That was a private prison not a state prison.
McCluskey, Province and Daniel Renwick, 37, took advantage of broken alarms and lapses in security at the private-contract state prison at Kingman, operated by Management and Training Corp., to cut their way to freedom on July 30, 2010, using tools that Welch tossed over the fence.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/01/20/20120120plea-changes-expected-deadly-arizona-prison-escape.html

And if you want a good understanding about the problem of illegals, go live there and you will have a better understanding.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:19 pm »

That was a private prison not a state prison.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/01/20/20120120plea-changes-expected-deadly-arizona-prison-escape.html

And if you want a good understanding about the problem of illegals, go live there and you will have a better understanding.

Sad that there is, by that definition, no state oversight of private prisons.

No thanks, we got plenty here...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

Is it customary for a governor to always greet the president any time he travels to a state when the president is not campaigning for the governor?  As well, I’m sure there are plenty of examples of Democrat governors who did not show up to greet President Bush when he traveled to their state.  Doing some Googling, I don’t see where Governor Henry met President Bush when he landed at Tinker back in Sept. of ’08.  Where was the outrage then?

Sorry guys, I think you are reading far too much into it.  Being governor 24/7 doesn’t mean she can’t take vacation time.  Seems like there’s a whole lot of apologizing and excusing for Obama on here when he goes on one of his expensive junkets with the media circus in tow from you guys.

My personal opinion is, in this day and age, the president doesn’t have to be in the White House every day to lead effectively, neither does a governor need to be at the capitol and I personally don’t expect a governor to pre-empt a personal vacation on such short notice.

Really I don’t care if Fallin released a statement on her vacation, what bothers me is the inaccuracy of the statement that not approving the northern leg of the pipeline has cost “hundreds of thousands of jobs”.  That’s a gross inaccuracy.  Other part is, I really don’t see how (according to her) we are alienating our “closest trading partner” by holding up the pipeline.  Simple fact is Canada doesn’t want the environmental issues of running the pipeline west to BC and the risks associated with spills or tanker groundings in their territorial waters.

Personally, I’m tired of the exaggeration and inaccuracies coming from politicians on what this pipeline is and isn’t.   As far as any immediate impact on gas prices, Keystone XL does nothing.  However, it could prove a very valuable asset in the future.  Just because most of that oil is slated for export at this time doesn’t mean it wouldn’t or couldn’t be used for our purposes in the future.  I keep hearing claims of anywhere from 20,000 to hundreds of thousands of jobs created constructing the pipeline.  I believe some people have relied on relating employment numbers from the Alaskan pipeline to what this would create.  I believe peak employment on the Alaska was about 20,000, best inside industry estimates I’ve seen before it got politicized is about 4000 direct employment.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »

Fallin et al behaved rudely.  It was a snub, pure and simple, and meant to be taken as such.  But I actually reserve most of my disgust for Bingman, who doesn't get to say "well heck, nobody told ME about it!"  Even if the President's advance team didn't contact him (which I find unlikely to the point of impossibility), it's his duty as the highest level elected official in the state to greet the goshdamn president, whoever he is and whatever the situation.  And if, for some reason he wasn't contacted, it still behooves him to roust himself from whatever nest he's built for himself in Sapulpa and meet the plane anyway.  Heck, when was the last time the President visited Oklahoma?  You'd think this would be a big deal.

And really . . . please come up with a reportable instance of the top three reps of any state government snubbing Bush on a given high-profile speechifying trip.  It's not enough to deploy the "Dems do it to" canard here without some proof.  Of which I'll bet 10$ that there is none.

Sorry, this pissed me off.  It seemed like a needless insult, and one which doesn't represent me as a taxpayer of this fine, fine state. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

Fallin et al behaved rudely.  It was a snub, pure and simple, and meant to be taken as such.  But I actually reserve most of my disgust for Bingman, who doesn't get to say "well heck, nobody told ME about it!"  Even if the President's advance team didn't contact him (which I find unlikely to the point of impossibility), it's his duty as the highest level elected official in the state to greet the goshdamn president, whoever he is and whatever the situation.  And if, for some reason he wasn't contacted, it still behooves him to roust himself from whatever nest he's built for himself in Sapulpa and meet the plane anyway. 

They might've been told by the legislature that he might get some moose-lemm on them.  "Don't want no moose-lemm to git on ya."
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

This Land Press FB post:

We're still in Cushing, where President Obama just spoke about his support for American energy production. We'll post our story this afternoon, but, in the meantime, here's a fun anecdote:

Following the president's speech, Barbara Schoenkopf, a writer with the Potawatomi tribal newspaper, the HowNiKan, who grew up in Hawaii, told Obama, "I was born in the same hospital you were!" The president broke into a wide smile and replied: "Do you have your birth certificate?"
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »

This Land Press FB post:

That's funny. Obama does have a good sense of humor and timing. As for the "snub", just laughing my aox off over this contrived outrage over a president not getting the respect he deserves. Has W been gone that long?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »

That's funny. Obama does have a good sense of humor and timing. As for the "snub", just laughing my aox off over this contrived outrage over a president not getting the respect he deserves. Has W been gone that long?

Think there's anger because W was given so much more respect than he deserved?
dbacks fan
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »

Sad that there is, by that definition, no state oversight of private prisons.

No thanks, we got plenty here...

Yes, you are correct, but that was lobbied for by the corps that run the prisons going back to the 80's. And yes Brewer was part of the legislature back then, so she may have been influecned as most of the rest of the legislature back then to go that route. You also fail to piont out that the ecapee's were convicted murders that had been reclassified and sent to a minimum security facility instead of a maximum facility. And if you have no problem with that then transfer some convicted murderers from Big Mac to Connor up in Hominy.

http://www.afscme.org/news/publications/privatization/pdf/AFSCME-Report_Making-A-Killing.pdf

http://www.phoenixmag.com/lifestyle/valley-news/201203/incarceration--inc-/
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »

Dumbya deserved the outrage....Gwee.  And DB, our Prison Industrial Complex (PIC) needs an overhaul. More government regulations now before the self perpetuation of the criminal class escalates.

Conan, POTUS Obama is so good, he's able to manipulate events to make people look bad. Seriously, it's an easier set up when you're dealing with obstructionists and dismissive women like our Governess.

I got an email from dry drunk Sully. These peepsqueakers are never patriotic when it comes to progressive decisions made by our executive in charge. Loserman...

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 02:02:58 pm »

Think there's anger because W was given so much more respect than he deserved?
Nope. Perhaps some here want Obama getting more respect than he deserves. Or, maybe its the ol' double standard at work here since those that are now b!tching weren't exactly W cheerleaders, were they?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »

Nope. Perhaps some here want Obama getting more respect than he deserves. Or, maybe its the ol' double standard at work here since those that are now b!tching weren't exactly W cheerleaders, were they?

Can it be a double standard when the deserved respect is not a level field?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:41 pm »

Can it be a double standard when the deserved respect is not a level field?

None of this crap matters. And that's what it is--crap. Sheesh, the lengths folks go to justify inconsistent "bad behavior" or political snubbing gets real close to just embarrassing. I am also getting real close to blaming W over Mary Fallin's apparent decision not to pack up her family in PR and fly back to greet Obama on his FIRST visit to Oklahoma since becoming president. And how often did he even campaign here after he was nominated? I wish we could all just get back to the real reason Obama got snubbed, that is we Okies are racist. It's simpler. 

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 02:25:44 pm »

None of this crap matters. And that's what it is--crap. Sheesh, the lengths folks go to justify inconsistent "bad behavior" or political snubbing gets real close to just embarrassing. I am also getting real close to blaming W over Mary Fallin's apparent decision not to pack up her family in PR and fly back to greet Obama on his FIRST visit to Oklahoma since becoming president. And how often did he even campaign here after he was nominated? I wish we could all just get back to the real reason Obama got snubbed, that is we Okies are racist. It's simpler.  

When I sat with US Sen. Obama in ought 7, I joked with him he need not come back here again because it would be a waste of his time. We laughed. He did reappear, briefly today not for votes but to allow fools to surface.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »

I wish we could all just get back to the real reason Obama got snubbed, that is we Okies are racist. It's simpler. 

Good point.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org