A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:18:30 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Lunch Scholars' series shows cringeworthy history knowledge for USA kids  (Read 5936 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:04 am »

'Lunch Scholars' Video Reveals American Teens Can't Answer Basic Trivia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/lunch-scholars-video-reveals-students-cant-answer-basic-trivia_n_1250023.html

Austin, an intrepid young student-reporter, embarks on the noble mission of answering the question, "How much basic knowledge do American high school students really have?" The answer, however, may not be exactly what you want to hear.

"Do you know the vice president of the United States?" Austin asks.

"I don't know who it it's, it's, it's somebody....Bin Ladin," one student responds.

The video continues in similar fashion, asking everything from, "In what war did America gain independence?" (which no one answered correctly without a hint) to "What countries border America?"

Comedy aside, the United State's poor international rankings in subject proficiencies such as math is a problem that could cost the country around $75 trillion over 80 years, according to a study called "Globally Challenged: Are U.S. Students Ready to Compete?"

Based on the research, U.S. students place behind 31 other countries in math proficiency, and behind 16 other countries in reading.

Paul Peterson, a Harvard government professor, notes the effect this could have on the economy.

"If we're going to grow at the rate that we hope to grow at to address the many issues that exist in our society, we need to have a powerful educational system that is producing a highly proficient workforce," Peterson told HuffPost in October.

Finland shocked the world with their scores on the 2000 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) --an international exam for 15-year-olds where it ranked first for reading proficiency. By 2009, the country inhabited the top of the roster in reading, second in science and sixth in math.

A 2010 study by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) showed the U.S. history testing scores are "stagnant," with only 9 percent of fourth graders correctly identifying a photograph of Abraham Lincoln and stating two reasons for his importance.

Lee White, executive director of the National History Coalition, says the problem stems from history's place in American curriculum.

"They've narrowed the curriculum to teach to the test. History has been deemphasized," he said. "You can't expect kids to have great scores in history when they're not being taught history."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MHtDF-z77wk[/youtube]
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:34 am »

Begs the question..."and why are they not being taught history?"

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:39 am »

Oh, I know, I know!!!  Let's throw even more money at the problem, maybe that will change pathetic attitudes toward education!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:13 am »

Oh, I know, I know!!!  Let's throw even more money at the problem, maybe that will change pathetic attitudes toward education!

I was thinking other ways.

All my history instructors when I moved to this state were coaches.

One was a wrestling coach who taught off a 2 year old syllabus written by a teacher's aide. That was my AP course in History, Junior Year.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:37 am »

Queue up the Pink Floyd song.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:15:46 am »

I was thinking other ways.

All my history instructors when I moved to this state were coaches.

One was a wrestling coach who taught off a 2 year old syllabus written by a teacher's aide. That was my AP course in History, Junior Year.

Here in Tulsa?

My kid has had AP and IB history courses over at BTW and they were more challenging than my college history classes. Just talking to the teacher for a few minutes was exhilarating. Loves his subject, knows how to make it fun.

I suspect that history is pretty controversial since these days no one agrees on what the truth is and everyone is an expert after reading something on the net. I got lectured by an extremist at a party one time about how Lincoln destroyed our country and ignored the constitution. Smart guy otherwise, in fact a darned fine cpa, but stupid as dirt when it came to politics and history. When a guy like that goes to chew out the teacher and principal, the next step is to de-emphasize history by moving the wrestling coach.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:41 am »

Here in Tulsa?

My kid has had AP and IB history courses over at BTW and they were more challenging than my college history classes. Just talking to the teacher for a few minutes was exhilarating. Loves his subject, knows how to make it fun.

I suspect that history is pretty controversial since these days no one agrees on what the truth is and everyone is an expert after reading something on the net. I got lectured by an extremist at a party one time about how Lincoln destroyed our country and ignored the constitution. Smart guy otherwise, in fact a darned fine cpa, but stupid as dirt when it came to politics and history. When a guy like that goes to chew out the teacher and principal, the next step is to de-emphasize history by moving the wrestling coach.

BA.  It was in the 80's.  BA (the city of) didn't allow dancing so history was probably frowned upon at the time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:46:04 am »

BA.  It was in the 80's.  BA (the city of) didn't allow dancing so history was probably frowned upon at the time.

Threadwinner.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 11:51:05 am »

What's a shame is most every kid is walking around with a device in his/her pocket that has instant access to vastly more info than the set of Encyclopeidia Britantica's my parents had on the book shelf at home, yet so many have a lack of basic understanding of American history and world events.

Last night I attended the TU lecture series at which George Will was the speaker.  The first question was from a girl who appeared to be a college student.  She asked about how to end Congressional gridlock and used as her reference point "a SNL skit."  I guess she left her John Stewart reference book at home.  I'm assuming she probably knew Bin Ladin is not VP.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:52:13 am »

Man. I understand completely. I was working for the World over there in the early 80's. Weird with a capital W. Rhematoids ruled.

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:02 pm »

Last night I attended the TU lecture series at which George Will was the speaker.

Can I just say that I'm glad that I didn't know about this? It probably saved me an arrest record. Wink

The only way to end congressional gridlock is to get extremists like Will and his counterparts on the left out of power, and I'm not sure that's something I would support, as I think even the idiots, liars, and malcontents deserve representation.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

I loved American History but Oklahoma History bored me to tears.
And who could remember all of the European History since it dates all the way back to God....lol

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »

I answered all the questions correctly Grin!

Well, except for the one about the capitol of Washington.

I'm smart!!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:18:27 pm »

And who could remember all of the European History since it dates all the way back to God....lol

I was there but had a memory overflow about 300 years ago.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org