A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:05:41 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Fun  (Read 8634 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13:39 pm »

Okay fine.  He wasn't doing nothing, he just wasn't doing much.   Wink

I had a lot of dealings with him and DTU in the early 1990's that left me very underwhelmed at their efforts and generally "not getting" really great promotional ideas and opportunities for downtown.  These weren't simply my hare-brained ideas, this was some of Tulsa's best and brightest creative talent trying to push downtown to the masses.  There may have been issues with the board, but Norton was definitely not the sort of dynamic leader who could direct DTU beyond the short-comings of the board.

I think dynamic leader is the key.  Not to bring up another well beloved institution, but the Chamber suffered from the same style of leadership for several years.  Love him or hate him, Mike Neal has brought an engaging, outgoing style of leadership that doesn't sit behind a desk and hope good things happen.  Tulsa needs more leaders that lead from the front and are "evangelists" for Tulsa.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »

I think dynamic leader is the key.  Not to bring up another well beloved institution, but the Chamber suffered from the same style of leadership for several years.  Love him or hate him, Mike Neal has brought an engaging, outgoing style of leadership that doesn't sit behind a desk and hope good things happen.  Tulsa needs more leaders that lead from the front and are "evangelists" for Tulsa.

It's a shame Kathy Taylor got the treatment she did and figured it was no longer worth the abuse to be the mayor. She was a fantastic example of dynamic leadership.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:25 am »

It's a shame Kathy Taylor got the treatment she did and figured it was no longer worth the abuse to be the mayor. She was a fantastic example of dynamic leadership.

There is some debate that she chose not to run for re-election due to her knowledge of the impending budget crisis.  She knew it might damage her future political aspirations.

However, I agree with you.  She worked extremely hard for the city in her time.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:44 am »

There is some debate that she chose not to run for re-election due to her knowledge of the impending budget crisis.  She knew it might damage her future political aspirations.

However, I agree with you.  She worked extremely hard for the city in her time.

I was very critical of her for about her first year or year and a half in office.  After working around her some, I gained an appreciation for how hard she works, her passion for Tulsa, and how well she actually listened when approached with ideas.  Truly a remarkable leader and I became a huge fan of hers in the end.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:20 am »

I was very critical of her for about her first year or year and a half in office.  After working around her some, I gained an appreciation for how hard she works, her passion for Tulsa, and how well she actually listened when approached with ideas.  Truly a remarkable leader and I became a huge fan of hers in the end.

She showed up, made appearances.  She worked well into late hours.  Her phone rarely caught fire.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 11:46:45 am »

I want to join the I love Kathy Taylor game.

In my job I have unique access to elected officials and have worked for now fifteen different governments and at least 50 different Mayors. Kathy Taylor was the best of all of them.

She was never afraid of doing what was right. All the rest of them had advisors telling them to be careful and worry about re-election. All the rest of them saw government as a budget driven process.

Not Kathy Taylor. If she believed the information was correct, she moved forward. She made decisions and did whatever it took to make it happen, including giving personal wealth to the project.

I do miss her.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:51 pm »

I want to join the I love Kathy Taylor game.

In my job I have unique access to elected officials and have worked for now fifteen different governments and at least 50 different Mayors. Kathy Taylor was the best of all of them.

She was never afraid of doing what was right. All the rest of them had advisors telling them to be careful and worry about re-election. All the rest of them saw government as a budget driven process.

Not Kathy Taylor. If she believed the information was correct, she moved forward. She made decisions and did whatever it took to make it happen, including giving personal wealth to the project.

I do miss her.

I think your personal interaction is useful and I can't speak to anything like that.  Given that there is always debate who should get credit/blame in politics, I am interested in what you think her actual accomplishments were for the city of Tulsa.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:38 pm »

Ms. Taylor should be the next president of TU.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
rdj
City Father

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 09:34:02 am »

Ms. Taylor should be the next president of TU.

Nope.  She is taking a fellowship with Harvard in lieu of taking that job.  My prediction is she'll run for Sen Coburn's seat when it becomes available.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:25 am »

Nope.  She is taking a fellowship with Harvard in lieu of taking that job.  My prediction is she'll run for Sen Coburn's seat when it becomes available.

Doesn't Inhofe's seat come up first?  I'd be surprised if he runs again, I believe he will be 82 or 83 at that time.  I'm not a rabid Inhofe hater, but I would really like to see him retire after this go 'round.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »

Sen. Taylor > TU president Taylor

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org