A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:21:41 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Oklahoma City is "recession proof"  (Read 18415 times)
Sutton
Citizen

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:32 am »

Another day, another McClendon scandal.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:35:20 am »

Oklahoma is doing very well under Mary Fallin, our unemployment rate droped some more to around 5.5% one the lowest in the nation. Mary Fallin's pro-business and tax cut atitudes help the economy big time. Here in Tulsa anyone who wants a job can find one. Since Mary Fallin came to power our unemployment rate has been dropping and dropping every month. Michigan and  Ohio are a mess jobs are bleeding out of those states. Ohio has not only a state income tax but every city in Ohio  has it's own city income tax and some school districts in Ohio even have a school district income tax and still the school systems are always broke  and prop. taxes are sky high. Residents and companies are fleeing the state.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:34 am »

Oklahoma is doing very well under Mary Fallin, our unemployment rate droped some more to around 5.5% one the lowest in the nation. Mary Fallin's pro-business and tax cut atitudes help the economy big time. Here in Tulsa anyone who wants a job can find one. Since Mary Fallin came to power our unemployment rate has been dropping and dropping every month. Michigan and  Ohio are a mess jobs are bleeding out of those states. Ohio has not only a state income tax but every city in Ohio  has it's own city income tax and some school districts in Ohio even have a school district income tax and still the school systems are always broke  and prop. taxes are sky high. Residents and companies are fleeing the state.

She's gonna drive this state into a handcart.  But I've already pointed this out.

You and shadows obviously have been sniffing the Fallin 'brown gas'....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 11:41:07 am »

Even when the meds wear off it's still allowed in its local library.

Too bad it hasn't learned to properly use reference material.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:10 am »

Even when the meds wear off it's still allowed in its local library.

Too bad it hasn't learned to properly use reference material.

You'd think being in a library it would learn...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 11:52:00 am »

Wait....YOU ARE MARY FALLIN AREN'T YOU!!!

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

Wait....YOU ARE MARY FALLIN AREN'T YOU!!!

Sounds about right.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »

I saw a friend who owns a major landscape company and he said finding labor has become a huge issue....seems like all the immigrants went home.

Inflation coming.....
rdj
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »

I saw a friend who owns a major landscape company and he said finding labor has become a huge issue....seems like all the immigrants went home.

Inflation coming.....

Had lunch with a friend Tuesday that owns a large landscape company.  He indicated same.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »

Inflation coming.....

This has been a problem since HB 1804.  How long ago was that?  Five years?  Localized inflation hasn’t happened as a result.

There’s a general shortage of skilled and un-skilled labor in this market, not just landscaping and other jobs you are used to seeing Hispanics do.  There’s probably work for at least 6000 to 7000 welder/fabricators in the Tulsa area which goes un-filled because there aren’t enough welders to go around or the ones who can’t get hired have other “issues”.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

There’s a general shortage of skilled and un-skilled labor in this market, not just landscaping and other jobs you are used to seeing Hispanics do.  There’s probably work for at least 6000 to 7000 welder/fabricators in the Tulsa area which goes un-filled because there aren’t enough welders to go around or the ones who can’t get hired have other “issues”.

Those darn drug tests!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56:37 pm »

For a while Tulsa was juuuust holding steady population wise and looking at the racial demographics run down from the last census, we were losing white population in Tulsa and the only way we were holding steady was because of the increase in hispanic population.

I would love to see more numbers.   Otherwise it might very well be that some part of the low unemployment rate could be because we are losing population faster than we are losing jobs.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 11:43:48 am »

History shows that what Mary Fallin is doing works, cutting taxes and getting gov. off of people's backs really works. Getting rid of regulations and low taxes attracts jobs, companies, and new business and that in turn brings in more money -not less money- to the state. Doing the oppiset bleeds jobs and companies for examples look at Michigan & Ohio. Michigan was run by democrats for years, taxes are choking everyone, business is leaving. Cutting gov't growth puts money in the private sector and it  makes jobs and grows the economy, growing gov't takes money out of the private sector and kills jobs as is what Obama & the democrats are doing on the national level.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:46:33 am »

Anyone who wants a job in Tulsa can find one if they really want to work. Oklahoma's housing martket is also stronger than many other cities. Oklahoma has a solid economy much better than it was under gov. Henry. I give the credit to Mary Fallin.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48:21 am »

Anyone who wants a job in Tulsa can find one if they really want to work. Oklahoma's housing martket is also stronger than many other cities. Oklahoma has a solid economy much better than it was under gov. Henry. I give the credit to Mary Fallin.

I give credit to the oil and gas business....business, something you must not understand to credit a rude governess who hasn't had time to impact squat except teaparty causes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org