A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:24:48 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mondo's Coming Back!  (Read 22575 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: January 31, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=371&articleid=20120131_371_0_Diners471650

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

BFD.... not my idea of decent Italian fare..... another place for big fatties!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:54 pm »

BFD.... not my idea of decent Italian fare..... another place for big fatties!

Well aren't you delightful today. 

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »

Well aren't you delightful today. 

Always!  Cheesy

There has never been nor will there ever be a better Italian eatery in Teatown than Villa Venice. Factamundo!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »

Where does Rob keep coming up with the money to open these restaurants and bars that don't seem to have any staying power?

Mondo's had it's place in Tulsa dining history.  I'm with TTC, I'm pretty meh on it reopening, especially in the center of Brookside.  Their menu was a lot like Angelos.  Okie Italian.  The best Italian places in Tulsa have always been owned by middle easterners, not Italians, IMO.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »

The best Italian places in Tulsa have always been owned by middle easterners, not Italians, IMO.

Villa Revena in the Farm is worth your time and money.

Never been to Mondo's.  I wish them well.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »

Villa Revena in the Farm is worth your time and money.

Never been to Mondo's.  I wish them well.

Been there.  Wasn't all that impressed.  The meatballs were crap.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »

My favs italian place has always been Mary's Trattoria on cherry street.  It's pricey, But thought it was fantastic.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

Been there.  Wasn't all that impressed.  The meatballs were crap.

Too bad.  We had the specials that eve.  They were good and service was excellent.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

Too bad.  We had the specials that eve.  They were good and service was excellent.

Great service, good wine, but the meat balls tasted like the little frozen ones out of a bag form Sam's.  My pasta was a bit on the soggy side too.

Italian is hard in Tulsa.  I lived in St. Louis too long and got myself ruined!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 04:10:36 pm »

Speaking of meatballs, I've got some sausage from Savastano's I need to add to my next batch.  Really anxious to see how that comes out.

Thanks for the reminder!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

Weren't some members of the Mondo's family involved in the failed Italian restaurant at King's Point?

I remember eating at Mondos in the late 80s when I was a poor student.  It served the purpose, lots of all you can eat so-so food at a reasonable price (I even saw Weird Al there when he was in town filiming "UHF").  Tulsa's restaurant scene has changed a lot since then and trying to revive Mondo's in Brookside seems like an odd idea.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:49:54 am »

Weren't some members of the Mondo's family involved in the failed Italian restaurant at King's Point?

I remember eating at Mondos in the late 80s when I was a poor student.  It served the purpose, lots of all you can eat so-so food at a reasonable price (I even saw Weird Al there when he was in town filiming "UHF").  Tulsa's restaurant scene has changed a lot since then and trying to revive Mondo's in Brookside seems like an odd idea.

That was Abruzzi's and I believe that was Rob's deal.  One of the other brothers may have been involved as well as Lou.  I ate there a few times and enjoyed it, but it was nothing spectacular.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »

Per Rob Aloisio's FB page. 

"It is official! We closed the deal on Mondo's Italian Restaurant. We are going to bring back Mondo's in Brookside. We purchased Gemma's Wood fire kitchen. We are set to open in about 3 to 4 weeks. Been working on this with my Dad for over a year. It is finally a reality! Thank you to all my friends that are in the "Bring back Mondo's" I will post more on our progress. Here is a link from Scott Cherry the Tulsa World Food Critic."

Had anyone ever eaten at Gemmas?  Not familiar with that at all.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:42 pm »

The best thing on Abruzzi's menu was the veal/chicken Marsala.  It was outstanding.  Everything else was meh.

Their portions began to shrink and that's when I knew they were going bye bye.  I used to go there a couple times a month just for the Marsala, until one day, my beautiful chicken breast was replaced by a slightly oversized McNugget.  That was my last visit.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org