A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:45:11 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous, distracted, various, and inimitable  (Read 146097 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #270 on: May 11, 2022, 01:16:53 pm »

aving said that, my bus (got one) is geared so that I can literally beat ANY production car made in the history of cars for about the first 6-7" off the line!   About 59:1, low-low gear.  Rev it up, drop the clutch and it leaps into action!  For just an instant or two.  Can't do over about 58 mph at the other end, and it is one of those 0-58...eventually...

Long ago, my brother had a Triumph TR-3A (car, not motorcycle) that could beat a 427 Vette off the line, but only for 20 feet or so.  TR-3A had no problem getting to highway speeds.  It was fun to drive too.

I don't mind if a driver doesn't get to 65 mph in the first quarter of an entrance ramp as long as they keep accelerating.  Drivers that accelerate to about 35 or 40 and hold that speed while trying to merge with 65 mph traffic are a traffic hazard.  If I get around them, they usually pass me a half mile later like I'm standing still.  Must be they finished texting.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 01:29:03 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2022, 08:16:54 pm »

Blast from the past...always liked the Buicks but a Hemi works, too!

Alcohol to nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9_u1k0SNQ

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2022, 08:29:13 pm »

Blast from the past...always liked the Buicks but a Hemi works, too!

Alcohol to nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9_u1k0SNQ

Old drag racer wisdom:

Gasoline is for cleaning parts

Alcohol is for drinking

Nitromethane is for drag racing
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2022, 08:34:51 pm »

No kill like overkill!

Sad thing is you can't even get close to going like a Tesla Roadster!

I don't drive some super sports car. I drive an Infinity Q50, a mid-level kinda luxury sports sedan. It's fun to drive, but nothing really high end. Many cars today have that much power or more. Much more.

The entry level Tesla, Model 3, is way, way faster than my Q50. I've thought about buying a Model 3 to replace my car, but my car is paid for and it's in perfect shape since I hardly drive anymore working from home. it's six years old with 50k miles and has never needed a single repair. It's kinda hard to justify the cost of buying a new car that will just sit in the garage most of the time in my situation. I just wish it had Apple CarPlay.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 08:45:29 pm by swake » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2022, 09:54:16 pm »

I don't drive some super sports car. I drive an Infinity Q50, a mid-level kinda luxury sports sedan. It's fun to drive, but nothing really high end. Many cars today have that much power or more. Much more.

The entry level Tesla, Model 3, is way, way faster than my Q50. I've thought about buying a Model 3 to replace my car, but my car is paid for and it's in perfect shape since I hardly drive anymore working from home. it's six years old with 50k miles and has never needed a single repair. It's kinda hard to justify the cost of buying a new car that will just sit in the garage most of the time in my situation. I just wish it had Apple CarPlay.

Q50 is a nice car.  It was just a bit bigger than I wanted in 2016.  I had/have the Astro for bad weather and parking lots.  I got a BMW 340i. I also looked at Lexus IS 350.  I liked the feel of the BMW around cloverleafs a bit more than the Lexus.  Audi S4 was another consideration but I was ignored at the dealership and no one could explain the start from 0 mph of the dual clutch auto tranny.  I didn't want a manual for around town.  I also didn't want a CVT from some other brands.

Tough to beat the torque of an electric drive.  All depends on the design goals.

Nissan Leaf is also electric.  2011 - 2016 models were ~10 sec for 0 - 60.  Newer models are mid 6s.  https://www.0-60specs.com/nissan/leaf-0-60-times/

Technology marches onward.

My sister has a 2009 BMW 328xi with a manual 6 speed.  She will probably never forgive me for getting an automatic tranny.  Our brother taught her to drive manual tranny in his Triumph TR-3A. She's good.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:18:50 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:00 pm »

If you want to drive something insanely stupid, go rent a 2022 900HP Shelby Mustang GT 500H from Hertz.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39956119/shelby-hertz-mustang-gt500h-rental-car/
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2022, 11:04:51 pm »

If you want to drive something insanely stupid, go rent a 2022 900HP Shelby Mustang GT 500H from Hertz.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39956119/shelby-hertz-mustang-gt500h-rental-car/

I saw that, a bit too insane for me.  Now, if I were a SCCA racer, it might be an interesting rental.  Most people will probably just get in trouble, if not dead.

A former co-worker (we are both retired) bought a new C7 Vette.  He went to driving school for the C7.  At a local autocross, he thought he could beat the computer until about half way through the course.  He didn't hurt the car but he did hit a few cones.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:26:26 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2022, 10:37:55 am »

A former co-worker (we are both retired) bought a new C7 Vette.  He went to driving school for the C7.  At a local autocross, he thought he could beat the computer until about half way through the course.  He didn't hurt the car but he did hit a few cones.

Retired too?  Corvette???  Isn't he a little bit old for the mid-life crisis - trying to find a 20-something trophy wife??  Lol... yeah, I know... cliche'.  But too often true!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2022, 11:36:21 am »

Retired too?  Corvette???  Isn't he a little bit old for the mid-life crisis - trying to find a 20-something trophy wife??  Lol... yeah, I know... cliche'.  But too often true!

Maybe his first Vette was mid-life crisis.  He has several Corvettes.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #279 on: May 13, 2022, 10:10:31 am »

I saw that, a bit too insane for me.  Now, if I were a SCCA racer, it might be an interesting rental.  Most people will probably just get in trouble, if not dead.

Autocross, SCCA, and Oil Capital Auto Club bring back a lot of memories and a connection to the current Tulsa International Dragway, Hallett Motor Speedway.

I started running autocross and road rally with Oil Capital Auto Club in 1980 and actually won the overall club championship for 1980 at age 17. Through a whole tangled web I found myself involved with SCCA racers at Hallett and the owner of Hallett Toly Arutunoff, Alf Gebhardt of BMW Racing, the current owners of the drag strip in Tulsa and the current owners of Hallett.

I went to my first autocross that was held in a parking lot north of the Assembly Center in 1972. The people that I knew then were Donnie Hale of Hale Plumbing, Mike Stephens who's son I played hockey with, and Ernie James that my dad worked with at McDonnell Douglas.

In 1980 a friend in high school's mother and father were involved with SCCA, the mother was the registrar for SCCA and his father raced worked for and raced a Lotus Europa for Automobiles International. Mike Stephens raced a bugeyed sprite at Hallett, and my dad's coworker raced a Triumph Spitfire.

In the early 80's, I teamed up with a guy by the name of Dan Guterman for autocrossing. Dan's family owned Fabricut Industries. Now, Dan Guterman and Scott and his brother Chris own Hallett, and if I'm not mistaken Dan still owns Tulsa International Drag Strip.

As for Alf Gebhardt, there is a very non descript building in west Tulsa next to a go cart track that holds a treasure trove of BMW racing history.

https://g.page/jrpspeedway?share

Excellent article about Alf Gebhardt

https://petrolicious.com/articles/a-chat-with-alf-gebhardt-spans-bmw-batmobiles-to-go-karting-with-kids-in-that-order

And here is a link to when we ran autocross events on the parking lot for the old Tulsa Speedway at the fairgrounds before Big Splash and Fair Meadows.

https://kevinallsop.smugmug.com/Old-Auto-Cross/n-b8d2Xm
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2022, 10:46:16 am »

Wow!   If one needs further evidence of how the Republicontin party has NO shame, just check out the ads by their latest Pathological Liar, T W Shannon!  About Margaret Sanger.   What this low life wants you to believe is exactly the opposite of what she worked for her entire life.  But hey, when you got nothing else, I guess lies are all ya got....

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2022, 01:08:58 pm »

Wow!   If one needs further evidence of how the Republicontin party has NO shame, just check out the ads by their latest Pathological Liar, T W Shannon!  About Margaret Sanger.   What this low life wants you to believe is exactly the opposite of what she worked for her entire life.  But hey, when you got nothing else, I guess lies are all ya got....

I hope the Democrats nominate someone acceptable Republican voters tired of the crap.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2022, 05:55:49 pm »

I hope the Democrats nominate someone acceptable Republican voters tired of the crap.

I commend you for being a Republican without blinders on but you're in the overwhelming minority. Most polls show over 70% of Republicans believe the election was rigged and Trump actually won plus over 50% of Republicans believe Dems are involved in child sex rings. It's not a few crazies spouting crap here and there - it's the Republican party full stop. Heck 20% of the party believes freeing slaves was a BAD idea. You're at best a RINO to the party.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2022, 08:30:42 am »

I commend you for being a Republican without blinders on but you're in the overwhelming minority. Most polls show over 70% of Republicans believe the election was rigged and Trump actually won plus over 50% of Republicans believe Dems are involved in child sex rings. It's not a few crazies spouting crap here and there - it's the Republican party full stop. Heck 20% of the party believes freeing slaves was a BAD idea. You're at best a RINO to the party.

Just a very few years ago, Nevada Assemblyman Jim Wheeler told his buddies that he would vote for slavery if that is what his people wanted.... literally!

https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/2013/10/29/nevada-republican-says-he-would-vote-slavery/13295599007/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2022, 08:35:19 am »

I wish we had a better choice of parties... sadly, I have just had to work with what we got for decades!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org