A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous, distracted, various, and inimitable  (Read 143717 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:18 am »

You are reckless...and wrong AGAIN!

Curses to those calendars that start on Monday!!

Geez....what's wrong with Lotus Notes..?  Wait... question answered.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:19 am »

Kind of neat little break in the day....

http://www.upworthy.com/the-final-epic-act-of-the-departing-commander-of-the-international-space-station-truly-rocked-2?g=2&c=ufb1

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 01:32:56 pm »

Site's down
here it is on youtube
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo[/youtube]
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:14 pm »

And for your daily exercise...plus Marshall's!!  This IS the whole package!!  I may have to start a company.....

http://www.ecochunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pedal-pub.jpg

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:17 pm »

Now here is a sandwich shop!  As close as Plano and Dallas - dangerously close!!  I wish they would hurry up and move to Tulsa....this competition would be very good for the state!

http://capriottis.com/

Rock Bottom ain't too shabby, either!  And their Dark Angel brew is....well, it's got me drinking beer again, and that takes a LOT!!

http://www.rockbottom.com/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:55 pm »

In the ongoing quest for good food, we revisited a place we haven't been to for quite a while.  Silver Dollar Cafe in Collinsville.  In the past, it was for the steak - at the original one north of Pawhuska off of highway 99.

This time we just wanted a burger and had heard they were pretty good.  Turns out they were much better than good!!  They are incredible!  They say they grind the beef in house, and I can believe it.  The burger was about 1/2 lb - and that was the small one!  Glad I did not order large!

Very subtle flavoring - the meat flavor came through marvelously!  I did add a touch of salt and quite a bit of pepper, but I like pepper in a big way!!  Even going so far as to carry a small McCormicks pepper grinder with when go to most restaurants.

If one is looking for a very nice drive in the country, this is a nice place to stop for a great burger along the way!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2013, 08:26:46 am »

Along those lines, if you happen to be in Coffeyville, you can pass on Hog Heaven BBQ.  I had lunch there with a buddy yesterday and I can only assume they are doing the "Cookshack shortcut".  Very tender meat, very little smoke signature.  There was literally water left under the pork and brisket when it was finished.  No, not runny fat, literally water.  That tells me they are heavily embalming the meat before it goes "in the cabinet".

Ribs were so-so.

You probably would like their sides.  Potato salad and slaw were the highlights of the meal. That's pretty sad when the sides are more memorable than the meat at a BBQ joint.

Never trust a BBQ place that doesn't have the wonderful smell of smoke either inside or outside the building.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:08 am »

Along those lines, if you happen to be in Coffeyville, you can pass on Hog Heaven BBQ.  I had lunch there with a buddy yesterday and I can only assume they are doing the "Cookshack shortcut".  Very tender meat, very little smoke signature.  There was literally water left under the pork and brisket when it was finished.  No, not runny fat, literally water.  That tells me they are heavily embalming the meat before it goes "in the cabinet".

Ribs were so-so.

You probably would like their sides.  Potato salad and slaw were the highlights of the meal. That's pretty sad when the sides are more memorable than the meat at a BBQ joint.

Never trust a BBQ place that doesn't have the wonderful smell of smoke either inside or outside the building.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...!  I also was unimpressed.

Now, on the way BACK from that - at the very south edge of Nowata on the west side of the road (Highway 169) is/was a little barbeque trailer that is occasionally open.  Haven't been there this summer, but last year, they were very good.  It is another one of those things where the old guy who started it was amazing, and he retired, left it to the next generation and they try real hard, but aren't quite as good as the original.  This one has maintained better than most in that circumstance....the kids were doing well the last time we were there.

The old people were always set up in the parking lot of Homeland there at the intersection of 169 and Main, but they brought it home about 5 or 6 few years ago.  We've been going there a while...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

Dedicated to the unenlightened amongst us...

You may not like guns.  That is your right.

You may not believe in God.  That is your choice.

But if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you ARE going to do is;

1. Call someone with a gun.
1. Pray they get there in time.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:38 pm »

Neither of those statements sound right.

You may think of telling that story without the "that is your right" and "that is your choice"
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:35 pm »

But if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you ARE going to do is;

1. Call someone with a gun.
1. Pray they get there in time.

I enjoy your passion but the first thing I will do is whisper to my very protective dog who likes to sleep by my door, "mailman!...squirrel!" and if the intruder doesn't leave post haste he either gets bitten or hit by my baseball bat.

Anyway, I play the percentages.  62 years have gone by and I haven't found use for a gun other than shooting at targets and admiring their workmanship. Thieves have taken my tools, my lawnmowers, my bikes and my yard ornaments, but, praise the Lord, I haven't provided them any guns.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2014, 02:05:39 pm »

Neither of those statements sound right.

You may think of telling that story without the "that is your right" and "that is your choice"

You have the right to like or dislike pretty much anything you want - specifically guns in this case, or frivolous wars fought to salve one's ego - and nobody has the right to try to take that away from you.  Goes to the whole pursuit of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness thing.   

Also, since I happen to believe that we have the right of religious choice (a recognized right - sort of - in this country; not so much in others), then one would have the choice to believe in God...or not.

The rest is kind of self explanatory. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:44 pm »

I enjoy your passion but the first thing I will do is whisper to my very protective dog who likes to sleep by my door, "mailman!...squirrel!" and if the intruder doesn't leave post haste he either gets bitten or hit by my baseball bat.

Anyway, I play the percentages.  62 years have gone by and I haven't found use for a gun other than shooting at targets and admiring their workmanship. Thieves have taken my tools, my lawnmowers, my bikes and my yard ornaments, but, praise the Lord, I haven't provided them any guns.

In other words, you have never had the direct confrontation implied by this story.  Sadly, many do each year.

What if he has a bat and takes out your dog?  Then swings faster than you?  If I cannot run away, then I prefer to deal with it from a slightly longer distance and remain above that fray.

70,000 people a year are injured with lawn mowers every year...

"According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a moving lawn mower blade is powerful. “The energy transferred by a typical lawn mower blade is equivalent to being shot in the hand with a .357 magnum pistol.”

So, since you have "provided" implements of destruction to thieves in the forms of lawn mowers, you are contributing to the destruction in our society..... (lol).

http://svhealthcare.org/newsreleases/2012/06/cutting_the_lawn_dont_become_an_injury_statistic/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:13:26 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2014, 04:37:33 pm »

You have the right to like or dislike pretty much anything you want - specifically guns in this case, or frivolous wars fought to salve one's ego - and nobody has the right to try to take that away from you.  Goes to the whole pursuit of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness thing.   

Also, since I happen to believe that we have the right of religious choice (a recognized right - sort of - in this country; not so much in others), then one would have the choice to believe in God...or not.

The rest is kind of self explanatory. 

So the right to not like guns is written down.

You think faith is a choice?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »

In other words, you have never had the direct confrontation implied by this story.  Sadly, many do each year.

What if he has a bat and takes out your dog?  Then swings faster than you?  If I cannot run away, then I prefer to deal with it from a slightly longer distance and remain above that fray.

70,000 people a year are injured with lawn mowers every year...

"According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a moving lawn mower blade is powerful. “The energy transferred by a typical lawn mower blade is equivalent to being shot in the hand with a .357 magnum pistol.”

So, since you have "provided" implements of destruction to thieves in the forms of lawn mowers, you are contributing to the destruction in our society..... (lol).

http://svhealthcare.org/newsreleases/2012/06/cutting_the_lawn_dont_become_an_injury_statistic/

Great. Now I have stolen lawn mowers on my conscience!

I actually have two loudmouth dogs that spring into action at the sound of a cautious cat crossing my front yard at 3:00am. One would really hurt someone. They know this house in the dark better than a bat wielding burglar though at best they are early warning systems if someone is determined. Then you can tell the reporter that you tried to warn me. Wink

Look, you are wrong about me not having any confrontation with a gun wielding criminal. I walked in on a robbery in progress at a nearby convenience store where my two young kids were busy looking for pop and candy. No big deal really. I opened the door for the guy because his arms were full of cigarette cartons, cash and a pistol. He said thanks. My cool thinking saved us all some additional heartache. He was caught and is serving time. And, I accosted a prick stealing Halloween decorations off my porch whereupon he offered to beat me. I chased him off the porch and knocked him to the street where his accomplice was waiting in a car. No, they aren't true home invasions with wild eyed murderers, but both were accomplished without gun play. I see lesser disagreements all the time end in gunshots and tragedy.

I play the percentages with non gun ownership just I like do with seatbelts. Thousands of homes are broken into out of hundreds of millions. Odds are if you own a gun you are more likely to be injured by it than if you don't. Increases the likelihood of theft as well I would guess.

But I totally affirm those who don't wear helmets and those who carry. I think we can co-exist.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org