A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:32 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous, distracted, various, and inimitable  (Read 143725 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:14 am »

HD, 1942, WLA

Nope, try again.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:56 am »

Nope, try again.

HD, 1943, WLC
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:32 am »

I'm impressed, but that's strike 2.

WLA

WLC

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:08 am »

I've exhausted my military channel knowledge.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 10:10:34 am »

Hint: There used to be one at the 45th Infantry Museum in OKC and I've owned three of them in the past.  They are somewhat rare.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:03 am »

I believe that is one of them scooters.

Do I win?

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacks fan
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »

Not sure of the model, but isn't that an Indian?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »

Don't laugh when you see a Bianchi carbon framed bicycle carrying a gun rack.  Just chuckle and say: "CONAN!!!"  I promise, I wave before I shoot.

I carry the .45 in the front handlebar bag.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:41 am »

Not sure of the model, but isn't that an Indian?

Nope.  But Indian had a similar model as a result of a competition for a government contract to develop a motorcycle which would tolerate desert warfare.  The prize was to be an initial order of 25,000 units to the successful design.  The Harley WLA and Indian Scout both had real limitations for that sort of environment with the traditional v-twin layout of one cylinder in front of the other and primary and secondary chain drives which would be chewed to pieces by desert sand.

This is a 1942 Harley-Davidson XA shaft drive. 

It copied the boxer motor of the BMW R-71 which put the cylinders out in to the air stream on both sides of the bike.  The Indian variant was the Indian 841 and it took a configuration similar to Moto Guzzi with an opposed "V" layout rather than a "flat" or "boxer" layout.  Harley produced about 1000 as did Indian.  Reputedly, they never made it to active duty as a contract was awarded for the Jeep in the meantime.  It was obviously a much more stable platform for desert war and could transport more men and equipment.

I guess I get to buy myself a Marshall's Wink

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

Vespa.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 05:34:41 am »

Interesting article about factory jobs.  Keeping in mind this is a snapshot of today's situation.  If there is a large movement to vo-tech, the pay will go down, but there is some good stuff happening NOW.

Caveats;
The Baltimore machine shop owner says his TOP guy makes $30 per hour.  That is about $60k for full time work.  To get to 100k, 'ya gotta do a whole lot of overtime.  The 'top guy' equivalent here would be about $22.50 for similar standard of living (using CNN Money cost of living calculator).  Anyone except the 'top guy' would probably be about $10 to $17 per hour here (based on the plants that I have direct experience with).

Not horrible.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-000-factory-job-whats-145600750.html

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:55 am »

That "newer stuff" they made in the 40s is ok and all.  But I am more partial to certain items from an earlier time period... especially when they happen to be Art Deco.  Cool    And for all those tough guys that say they wouldn't be interested in an Art Deco Museum... oh really?

And just for fun.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:04:44 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:50 am »

Those are freaking awesome pictures.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:45 pm »

Wow!  Those are amazing.  I would buy one of those like the black or the red one...

And now for something different.  One of the best renditions of "Over the Rainbow" I have ever heard.  Funeral at end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V1bFr2SWP1I

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »

Found a little place just a little bit north of town.  Well, maybe slightly more than a little bit... Milwaukee.  Ironic, ain't it - go to Milwaukee, birth place of American beer - to drink Irish beer.

Mo's Irish Pub.  Had an amazing Shephard's pie.  Brought to the table in it's own little cast iron kettle.  Just like great, great, great, great, great grandma used to make...

Had a sampler of the Trinity of Irish beer.  Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's.  Wonderful.  I am now inspired to go try Marshall's...
Tomorrow there is live music, so may have to go back.  (See video at end of their page.)  There was a shuttle to a game last night - couldn't even guess who was playing.

http://www.mosirishpub.com/milwaukee/index.html

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org