A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:08:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They are ABLE!  (Read 78215 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2024, 09:43:07 am »

Local Walmart stores card everyone for any alcohol sale.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2024, 09:58:12 pm »

The grocers and Wallyworld are the same here, if they don't  enter a birth date they can't complete the transaction. If you don't look old enough they will ask for an actual ID. Some of the liquor stores actually scan the bar code to verify the ID of everyone some don't. When I go to my grocery store I go through the self checkout and scan any alcohol last and sometimes they come over and scan their card for the register and let me enter the DOB or they just put in one that's over 21.

Haven't been carded in a restaurant here in years.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2024, 10:41:55 pm »

If you don't look old enough they will ask for an actual ID.

Used to be that way at Walmart until last fall.  I guess they had some problems.  Policy now is to card everyone, period.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2024, 08:41:27 am »

At both places we hated it when the ABLE "storm troopers" showed up for a spot check. I don't remember anyone I worked with getting cited or the business being cited, and I never got cited. They showed up at Doolittle's a couple times because they were told employees were drinking, not straw testing, drinking behind the bar. At Speeds we had a near disaster because they showed up and the boss hadn't posted the new business liquor license, fortunately he and the new license were there and they just said okay and left after everything else checked out.   

The Oklahoma only DL smells like someone at ABLE that is power tripping (not surprised). I got carded at Hard Rock two years ago and Boulder Grill in 2017 no one told me that an Arizona, and Oregon in 2017, license wouldn't be accepted.

The sticky part is/was ABLE and TPD's Vice Squad improvisations. There is no statutory requirement that only a current license could be used to confirm your age, or that surrendering your DL to a cop in a bar is entirely voluntary. One even explained to me what they would do if you didnt volunteer.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2024, 01:20:18 am »

The sticky part is/was ABLE and TPD's Vice Squad improvisations. There is no statutory requirement that only a current license could be used to confirm your age, or that surrendering your DL to a cop in a bar is entirely voluntary. One even explained to me what they would do if you didnt volunteer.

Its been a few years, but I was told flat out by ABLE agents doing "bar compliance checks" that only a current Oklahoma Drivers License is valad for the purchase of alcoholic beverages; expired ones arent valid... as if you suddenly got younger when your DL expires.
This, as ABLE and TPD went from one gray-haired person after another demanding ID to prove they had a right to be in a bar.

So I will ask, if this is the new state regulation, that if I'm in a bar in Tulsa, and ABLE does a spot inspection and I have a valid Arizona DL and having an alcoholic beverage what does that allow them to do? If I don't show my ID, even though it's valid from another state what happens? Seriously, I'm having dinner and someone from ABLE demands my ID when I have not committed a crime and they have no probable cause, and I ask what is the probable cause, can they do?

In every state, and in Mexico, that I have traveled to, I have never been denied or questioned about the validity of my ID, as long as it was not expired, for service or purchase of alcohol, regardless of the state that it was issued in, since I turned 21 in 1984.

As I remember, there is reciprocity between states as to what a valid ID is, and that a valid state ID issued by one state was accepted by any state especially for drivers licenses.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:25:54 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2024, 08:00:49 am »

So I will ask, if this is the new state regulation, that if I'm in a bar in Tulsa, and ABLE does a spot inspection and I have a valid Arizona DL and having an alcoholic beverage what does that allow them to do? If I don't show my ID, even though it's valid from another state what happens? Seriously, I'm having dinner and someone from ABLE demands my ID when I have not committed a crime and they have no probable cause, and I ask what is the probable cause, can they do?

"Public Drunk, Interfering."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org