A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:29:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Almost) Everyone Hates OKC  (Read 4734 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: January 12, 2012, 11:56:04 am »

http://thislandpress.com/roundups/almost-everyone-hates-okc/

Oklahoma City is one of the least liked places in the U.S., according to a new survey.

The Atlantic Cities recently published the findings from a “city sentiment survey” conducted by researchers at the Kauffman Foundation and Harvard University to discover whether or not urban statistics affect public opinion of places.

Samuel Arbesman, one of the researchers, wrote:

There’s no shortage of information about cities. From population and unemployment to crime and traffic statistics, urban and regional data is swirling all around us. We’re exposed to ranking after ranking, from the best places to raise families, to the metro areas with the best public transportation or local restaurant scene, all the way down to less tangible measures like say, the worst-dressed cities.

The researchers surveyed 310 respondents, found via Amazon Mechanical Turk, “an online labor market designed to allow the completion of tasks that are hard for computers to do but easy for people,” asking them for their mental reactions the 50 largest cities in the U.S.

Oklahoma City ranked No. 4 on the list of cities with the highest percentage of negative reactions. Detroit, Michigan, was the least liked city, and Seattle, Washington, topped the list of most-liked places.

From The Atlantic: "The overall rankings by all 310 respondents are mapped above. Blue indicates a more positive opinion, while red is more negative. The size of the circles are scaled according the actual ratings."

Respondents’ zip codes were recorded in order to determine whether or not geographic location affected opinion. Those in the Midwest had a slightly higher opinion of OKC than did those in the Northeast, South, and West.

Arbesman wrote:

What we found is that our initial perceptions about cities are in fact often grounded in statistical reality. The positive or negative opinions of our survey respondents were correlated, often quite strongly, with such metrics as change in population, housing prices, and cost of living, and inversely correlated with measures like crime and unemployment. On the other hand, measures such as sales tax and traffic congestion appear to have little influence on people’s perceptions of different cities…

While certain cities are positively viewed by all regions, each region has a better view of its own cities than those cities of other regions. The South likes southern cities, the West western cities, and so forth. The Midwest appears to be the most self-hating (or at least the least positive toward itself) of the Census regions.

Not every man’s poll is every man’s opinion, though. In September of 2011, a survey of 1,370 OKC residents found that most of them are happy with where they live. “Nearly 85 percent of those polled said Oklahoma City is an excellent or good place to live,” The Oklahoman reported. “The national average is 78 percent.”

OKC is working to better its national image, according to a press release issued last month. “In 2010, only 26 (percent) ranked Oklahoma City as an 8, 9, or 10 as a place to live or do business,” the release stated. The Oklahoma City Chamber promoted “aspects of the city that scored negatively in the survey, such as nightlife, business and job climate, quality of life, and education,” especially on the West Coast. “Post-test results showed that of those who had seen the campaign, the percentage ranking Oklahoma City as an 8, 9 or 10 increased from 26 percent to 52 percent,” the release said, noting the campaign would continue in 2012.

There's a music video too.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »

I *KNEW* it wasn't just me!

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:48:21 pm »

I *KNEW* it wasn't just me!

Grin

Where's Laramie?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »

I like OKC. And a cursory scan of the article tells me others do too. In fact most OKC people like it there. The negatives seem to have come from the West Coast and were subject to improving with the COC's urging with a campaign. Otherwise, I doubt many people on the West Coast have a positive image of anything in the South.

Save me some time. What did us Tulsan's think of our city? What did others think of us?

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »

Apparently they didn't even think enough of Tulsa to include us in the "50 largest cities in the US" list.   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »

Considering Seattle was at the top of the list of most liked places, it doesn't surprise me that OKC is one of the least liked.  OKC took Seattles BBall team and they will never forgive the NBA or OKC for that.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:48 pm »

Oklahoma is damn lucky to have OKC. Talk about enormous progress over the past 20 years.

I'm glad it's down the pike and we are not like them despite many here who wish to replicate it.

What Chambers of Commerce's do to politic their own towns at the expense of other cities. Do not pay much mind to these articles of popularity.

Hate is a bad word.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »

Since the respondents were self-selected via Mechanical Turk, the results have as much validity as similar 'polls' taken by self-serving AM radio stations, advocacy groups, and others with an agenda rather than true unbiased inquiry.  It's mildly interesting and genuinely provocative, but the deficiencies make it a dubious basis for a story, even in This Land.

(Full disclosure: I'm still listed as a contributor on This Land, though the last published piece was over a year and a half back.)

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:57 am »

I still like Tulsa better.

But don't hate OKC, either.  It's just not as nice a place to live. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:38 am »

Tulsa, "The pretty Oklahoma City" Actress Megyn Price.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:34 am »

Tulsa, "The pretty Oklahoma City" Actress Megyn Price.

I remember her in 'Mystery, Alaska'....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org