A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:48:36 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jay's Original Hoagies  (Read 18085 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: January 04, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »

Located in part of the old Seigis at 91st & Sheridan. I ordered a small monster sandwich and it was not only terrific, it was literally a monster in size and cost less than six bucks. The meats in each sandwich are sliced to order. Give it a shot everyone.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

Nice.  Thanks for the heads up.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:24:31 pm »

This will probably be my "go to" place for sandwiches from here on.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

I won't question that he has a good sandwich but...

For someone who grew up near Philadelphia, PA, "hoagie" is not a synonym for a submarine sandwich. Well, at least not when I was growing up there.

A "hoagie" has Proscuitto, Capicola, Genoa or Soprassata Salami, Provolone cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, oregano, on a crusty Italian roll splashed with olive oil and maybe a tiny bit of red vinegar.  Add crushed red pepper to taste.  NO Mayo, ketchup, mustard, thousand island......

I couldn't find his menu on the internet.  Does he have a "hoagie" like I think of a hoagie?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »

For someone who grew up near Philadelphia, PA, "hoagie" is not a synonym for a submarine sandwich. Well, at least not when I was growing up there.

A "hoagie" has Proscuitto, Capicola, Genoa or Soprassata Salami, Provolone cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, oregano, on a crusty Italian roll splashed with olive oil and maybe a tiny bit of red vinegar.  Add crushed red pepper to taste.  NO Mayo, ketchup, mustard, thousand island......

I couldn't find his menu on the internet.  Does he have a "hoagie" like I think of a hoagie?

Yankee...

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:49 pm »

I have gone 6 months without processed meats but, RA, your thinking's making my stomach quiver.... Hot oven subs from Beantown and corned beef and pastrami from New York.

Everybody should have a little Yankee in them!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:53:40 pm »

Yankee...

Grin

Hey, not all the good food comes from south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Cheesy

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »

I have gone 6 months without processed meats but, RA, your thinking's making my stomach quiver.... Hot oven subs from Beantown and corned beef and pastrami from New York.

You can get everything for a real hoagie here in Tulsa except the roll.  There's good rolls in town but I haven't found a real Hoagie Roll.  They can be mail ordered.  Even in the Philly area there is some disagreement on whose rolls are the best.

The Hoagies I remember were always served cold, not toasted or roasted.  Add a slice of Deli barrel pickle and a soda (pop to locals here) and that was a good lunch.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:58:03 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:58:12 pm »

Mine came with ham, turkey, salami, and everything else you listed. I nixed the tomatoes.  He even asked me if I wanted it the "hoagie" way, with provolone, etc. Serious, it really is good little place, and I got the free t-shirt to prove it

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »

Mine came with ham, turkey, salami, and everything else you listed. I nixed the tomatoes.  He even asked me if I wanted it the "hoagie" way, with provolone, etc. Serious, it really is good little place, and I got the free t-shirt to prove it

Regular "ham" is good but it just isn't quite the same as the Proscuitto or Capicola.  I think it's the way they are cured.  I might be "forced" to check it out.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »

Regular "ham" is good but it just isn't quite the same as the Prosciutto or Capicola.  I think it's the way they are cured.  I might be "forced" to check it out.
Capicola is my favorite deli meat. Bar none. Prosciutto is a bit too fatty for me, it's still good though.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »

Capicola is my favorite deli meat. Bar none.

I like the spicy more than the sweet Capicola.

Prosciutto is a bit too fatty for me, it's still good though.

Only a few thin slices are used in the hoagie.  It's not like shoving a 1/4" thick piece of Prosciutto in your mouth.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:43 am »

I love making my own dried pork products.  Coppa, proscuitto, bacon, (and on and on).  I have to say, they really do know what their dowing in the north east when it comes to killer sammies.  Black pepper makes them think their heads on fire, but the sandwiches are killer.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:41 am »

I will get packaged meats from Whole Paycheck since they don't have preservatives or "pink salt".  I've read too many pieces on all the detrimental affects of consuming nitrites, nitrates, and all the other fat and flavor preservatives that cannot be pronounced by anyone but an Oscar Mayer chemist.  Of course, that still doesn't account for all the carcinogens in smoked meat, but I can't seem to live without smoked meats.

When I want some pork accent in a meal, I keep a frozen slab of bacon in the freezer and slice off the end of it.  To be honest, I can't tell one iota of flavor difference between cured and uncured bacon.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

When I want some pork accent in a meal, I keep a frozen slab of bacon in the freezer and slice off the end of it.  To be honest, I can't tell one iota of flavor difference between cured and uncured bacon.

"uncured" according to whofo just means no nitrates/nitrites.  It is has been cured with salt and sugar.  It wouldn't be bacon if it were not cured and smoked, just porkbelly.  If you can get your hands on raw porkbelly, I can show you haw to work some magic.   Grin

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org