A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:57:48 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Write your own Constitutional amendments  (Read 9452 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

DON'T... CALL... ME... FRANCIS.  It's Psycho

Problem is, Gillian is not a true redhead.  She's a blonde.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »

only one way to find out for sure.  For the good of the mission, I volunteer.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 10:09:10 am »

This is a very disturbing thread to me. Other than the ginger of course.

I can only hope some are playing devil's advocate.

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »

Here are the results as of about noon today.  It's the full list of questions.  The closest issue seems to be the idea of calling national referendums on laws enacted by Congress:

Campaign contributions to any candidate for office in the United States government from any entity shall not exceed those limits set for citizens. Corporations, companies, unions, PACs and other organizations shall not be considered citizens.
  For   86%
 Against    14%

You can't be president if any of the following family members have been president: wife, husband, mother, father, brother, sister, child, or any "in-law" version of the preceding.
For   18%
Against    82%

The Electoral College should be abolished and presidents should be elected by popular vote.
 For    75%
 Against 25%

A direct citizens' vote should be required before entering into any type of war.
 For    34%
 Against 66%

Ten percent of voters may demand a national referendum on laws passed by Congress.  A law is void if voters reject it; otherwise, it retains its validity. Congress may repeal the law before the referendum takes place.
 For   44%
 Against    56%

No member of Congress shall become a lobbyist or a consultant for anyone or any company or business doing business with the United States government once he or she has completed service in Congress, nor shall any member of his or her immediate family.
 For    67%
 Against    32%

Elections should be conducted in the same way The X Factor takes votes for contestants: by phone, Twitter or email.
 For 10%
 Against 90%

The approval of the U.S. citizens would be required for all spending bills. Once per month, all taxpaying U.S. citizens would have the ability to log in to an Internet site and vote on the spending proposals that Congress puts forward.
 For    27%
 Against 73%

Limit Supreme Court seats to a single nine-year term with one seat getting turned over every year. Justices would be chosen by lot from a pool of candidates. The amendment would state the requisite qualifications needed (as decided by both houses of Congress). If you meet the criteria, and you want to be a Supreme Court justice, you enter your name in the pool. The most senior judge is chief justice.
 For    39%
 Against    60%

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, shall be drawn from those citizens who may keep and bear arms only after receiving proper military training.
 For    36%
 Against    63%

The rights enumerated in the Constitution are expressly for the benefit of living human beings. Corporations are expressly denied any claim of protection under the Bill of Rights.
 For    83%
 Against 17%

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
dbacks fan
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »

Doesn't matter to me.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »

Gee, I guess I'm pretty moderate afterall. Even the two that I differed with from the majority %'s , I don't feel that strongly about.

edit: forgot this was an NPR poll. So I fall in line with "enlightened" citizens.  Wink I would love to see it replicated on a more conservative leaning medium.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:29:54 pm by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

edit: forgot this was an NPR poll. So I fall in line with "enlightened" citizens.  Wink I would love to see it replicated on a more conservative leaning medium.

Yes, it's from NPR, but even giving the usual stereotype of NPR listeners as liberal, intellectual, and open-minded (which happens to be true in my case) I think this poll shows that our countrymen are unwilling to do major tinkering with the Constitution.  Now, there are some obvious problems with it.  The respondents are self-selected rather than random, and there's nothing to prevent taking the poll several times in an effort to skew the results.

And as for replicating it in a more conservative medium, I posted it here with that in mind.  As Jon Stewart said, Oklahoma is such a red state that you can't have blue eyes!

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
dbacks fan
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 04:00:20 pm »

Well that explains my problem, I have red hair and blue eyes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 05:09:33 pm »

There were quite a few that fell along my lines of thinking.  It's interesting this one was overwhelmingly against, considering it's been such a topical issue this last year:

The approval of the U.S. citizens would be required for all spending bills. Once per month, all taxpaying U.S. citizens would have the ability to log in to an Internet site and vote on the spending proposals that Congress puts forward.
 For    27%
 Against 73%

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:18 am »

Interesting that the two regarding campaign finance and corporate citizenship both have overwhelming support. They happen to also be the only ones whose implications I'm not terribly bothered by, although the corporate citizenship one could be pretty hairy. A company needs to have many of the rights of people to function as intended. However, that should be construed as narrowly as possible. Unfortunately, the courts have been construing that necessity as broadly as possible as of late.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org