A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:20:52 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Write your own Constitutional amendments  (Read 9469 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 16, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »

NPR has an interesting interactive page where they solicited amendment ideas and posted them for us to 'vote' on.  I think there's about a dozen questions, including these:

Campaign contributions to any candidate for office in the United States government from any entity shall not exceed those limits set for citizens. Corporations, companies, unions, PACs and other organizations shall not be considered citizens.

Limit Supreme Court seats to a single nine-year term with one seat getting turned over every year. Justices would be chosen by lot from a pool of candidates. The amendment would state the requisite qualifications needed (as decided by both houses of Congress). If you meet the criteria, and you want to be a Supreme Court justice, you enter your name in the pool. The most senior judge is chief justice.

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, shall be drawn from those citizens who may keep and bear arms only after receiving proper military training.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/14/143648941/interactive-join-our-constitutional-convention

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:47 pm »

Campaign contributions to any candidate for office in the United States government from any entity shall not exceed those limits set for citizens. Corporations, companies, unions, PACs and other organizations shall not be considered citizens.

OK

Limit Supreme Court seats to a single nine-year term with one seat getting turned over every year. Justices would be chosen by lot from a pool of candidates. The amendment would state the requisite qualifications needed (as decided by both houses of Congress). If you meet the criteria, and you want to be a Supreme Court justice, you enter your name in the pool. The most senior judge is chief justice.

Term limits, OK.  Pool with qualifications set by congress is no better, maybe not as good as the present system.  President nominates, Congress approves/rejects.

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, shall be drawn from those citizens who may keep and bear arms only after receiving proper military training.

We could have mopped up Iraq if those "clowns" didn't have guns.  I'll agree to civilian training in firearm safety but keep the military out of it.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:29 pm »

Dont be an a**hole..... Grin

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:43:21 am »

Put me in for affirmative on each one. Its good to see that there are some thinking people left scattered around the country.

Red, we mopped them up even when they had the mother of all armies!

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

Red, we mopped them up even when they had the mother of all armies!

We may have mopped up their army but the aftermath that followed probably wouldn't have been if the Iraqi citizens had been unarmed.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:23:09 am »

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/14/143648941/interactive-join-our-constitutional-convention
The problem with this, and the reason that term limits were not originally written into the constitution, is then it becomes a political situation.  By having life terms the justices are able to make their decisions without worry of political retaliation. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »

The problem with this, and the reason that term limits were not originally written into the constitution, is then it becomes a political situation.  By having life terms the justices are able to make their decisions without worry of political retaliation. 

I believe a single, shorter term would would do the same.  If there were any chance of reappointment, then your point would certainly be valid.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:59 pm »

I believe a single, shorter term would would do the same.  If there were any chance of reappointment, then your point would certainly be valid.
If the justices have a term then they still have to worry about retribution once their term ended. I can see the whole "if you do this, you will go nowhere when your term is up" threat coming into play.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:56:15 pm »

No on all. Here's one, if you haven't paid a federal income tax for two years and receive government financial assistance, you cannot vote.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:11:19 pm »

No on all. Here's one, if you haven't paid a federal income tax for two years and receive government financial assistance, you cannot vote.

GE?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »

So then, the poor get discriminated against?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 02:40:56 pm »

So then, the poor get discriminated against?

17 year olds get discriminated against. Certain felons get discriminated against. Point is, persons not paying income tax vote for the folks that will give them more money. Now, will I vote for the candidate that will vote my way? Sure. I just find it troubling that persons having no skin in the game are deciding how my skin in the game is being spent.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »

GE?

Yep. And it's CEO by the way does work for Obama.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »

Why do I get the feeling Guido would see no problem bringing back poll taxes, and worse, having no qualms about their effect?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »

Point is, persons not paying income tax vote for the folks that will give them more money.

Prove it. I suspect there are quite a few white folks in Kansas who haven't paid income tax since the Bush cuts and happily vote for Republicans. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org