A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243496 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2017, 01:35:49 pm »

Another thing that really hurts the Pearl District is that so much of it is in the flood plain.  If you want to build anything, or you're worried about fixing up existing buildings, it sort of puts a damper on investment.  We have never fully implemented the Elm Creek Drainage plan, which if completed, would open up a lot of prime real estate to development. (It would turn some areas into ponds/parkland, but overall, it would open up hundreds of parcels to investment and improvement, as far southwest as 18th and Baltimore and as far east as Zunis Ave.)

I heard a rumor that the feds declined our application that would have funded phase 2 of the Elm Creek plan (to build the west detention pond) because the Indian Health Center had bought up most of the surrounding property.  It seems the feds want their dollars to benefit multiple property owners.  Not just a single entity.

One of the most beautiful views of downtown can be seen as you travel west on 6th street near Peoria.  Plus, it's a short couple minutes by bike into downtown. The Pearl District has enormous potential if we could solve the flood problems.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:12 pm »

Another thing that really hurts the Pearl District is that so much of it is in the flood plain.  If you want to build anything, or you're worried about fixing up existing buildings, it sort of puts a damper on investment.  We have never fully implemented the Elm Creek Drainage plan, which if completed, would open up a lot of prime real estate to development. (It would turn some areas into ponds/parkland, but overall, it would open up hundreds of parcels to investment and improvement, as far southwest as 18th and Baltimore and as far east as Zunis Ave.)

I heard a rumor that the feds declined our application that would have funded phase 2 of the Elm Creek plan (to build the west detention pond) because the Indian Health Center had bought up most of the surrounding property.  It seems the feds want their dollars to benefit multiple property owners.  Not just a single entity.

One of the most beautiful views of downtown can be seen as you travel west on 6th street near Peoria.  Plus, it's a short couple minutes by bike into downtown. The Pearl District has enormous potential if we could solve the flood problems.

And given our history with solving flood problems, I'm not sure why it's not already done.  If we're horrible in many other things, we proved that we know our smile when it comes to flood mitigation.  Even if it took 3 100-year flood events to force our hand.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »

Another thing that really hurts the Pearl District is that so much of it is in the flood plain.  If you want to build anything, or you're worried about fixing up existing buildings, it sort of puts a damper on investment...

The Elm Creek floodplain doesn't seem to be hurting or hindering this multi-story, mixed-use proposal:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/mixed-used-project-being-proposed-for-pearl-district/article_5007355a-4120-5da1-a113-5979a7806c4d.html

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:41 am »

We'll know when we see a rendering that really shows the sidewalk perspective.  Trader Joes is raised up several feet because of flood plain issues.  It makes it really hard to be an asset to the sidewalk when you're 3-4 feet above it. (Also when you put the entrance in the rear, but that's another story.)

I've experienced great "sidewalks" that incorporate old loading docks as part of the pedestrian path (Denver, Milwaukee, etc have these kinds of places) but that works best when you have a row of raised buildings.  That way, you can go up the stairs (or ramp) and then walk along the raised sidewalk. 

It's not as nice when you have a blank wall along the sidewalk because of flood concerns, and not enough incentive to go up the stairs.  We'll see how they handle this.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:03 pm »

We'll know when we see a rendering that really shows the sidewalk perspective.  Trader Joes is raised up several feet because of flood plain issues.  It makes it really hard to be an asset to the sidewalk when you're 3-4 feet above it. (Also when you put the entrance in the rear, but that's another story.)

I've experienced great "sidewalks" that incorporate old loading docks as part of the pedestrian path (Denver, Milwaukee, etc have these kinds of places) but that works best when you have a row of raised buildings.  That way, you can go up the stairs (or ramp) and then walk along the raised sidewalk.  

It's not as nice when you have a blank wall along the sidewalk because of flood concerns, and not enough incentive to go up the stairs.  We'll see how they handle this.

Here's what the drawings indicate:  "Ground" floor level raised about 3.5 to 4 feet above the public sidewalk at the north end of Phase 1, and about 1.5 to 2 feet above the public sidewalk at the south end of Phase 1.  A raised "sidewalk" or walkway along the east facade of the building, mostly covered by the projecting living rooms and balconies of the apartments above.

Unless the owner intends to fence and gate off the raised walkway, pedestrians should be able to walk along the lower public sidewalk near the curb or on the raised walkway along front of the building, something akin to a loading dock.  A portion of the street-facing wall is shown as a blank wall (the east wall of the toilets and janitor room), but the drawings indicate windows and doors along most of the street-facing wall.

We'll see if it gets built the way it is drawn...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:05:23 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2017, 01:35:20 pm »

Tulsa Development Authority asks for ideas to redevelop Pearl District.

Proposals are due in October.

http://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa-development-authority-asks-for-ideas-to-redevelop-pearl-district
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2017, 07:59:18 am »

http://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa-development-authority-asks-for-ideas-to-redevelop-pearl-district

Never mind.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:13:54 pm by AdamsHall » Logged
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »

Something's going on across 6th street from the Phoenix.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ONEArchitecture/status/865625181393264642
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:49 am »

The Phoenix closed and the Bramble bought it and closed their downtown location. It is supposed to open within a few weeks:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/blogs/restaurants/table-talk-the-bramble-to-open-sixth-street-store-in/article_55262c14-ac6a-5acc-a41d-3d69fd39f1d9.html

I hope they have a good coffee/bar/snack function like the Phoenix did. I hope it's a place where studying students and others are welcome to sit and work rather than just a restaurant. That was a great community coffee shop. Too bad it ended up in the wrong hands at the wrong time and had to close.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »

All the little bars along 6th add a lot of character without leaning on a franchise look.  You can tell people are putting money back into the area.
I thought the building across the Engine Room was a bar but Im guessing its a motorcycle clubhouse.  Looks almost like it had been a bowling alley.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:17 pm »

The Phoenix closed and the Bramble bought it and closed their downtown location. It is supposed to open within a few weeks:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/blogs/restaurants/table-talk-the-bramble-to-open-sixth-street-store-in/article_55262c14-ac6a-5acc-a41d-3d69fd39f1d9.html

I hope they have a good coffee/bar/snack function like the Phoenix did. I hope it's a place where studying students and others are welcome to sit and work rather than just a restaurant. That was a great community coffee shop. Too bad it ended up in the wrong hands at the wrong time and had to close.

Does Blake have any remaining restaurant or club interests?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2018, 08:13:22 am »

Does Blake have any remaining restaurant or club interests?

He is said to be back into the Joe Momma's place and at least talking about re-opening something there.  There was a little something around the corner on 1st street that supposedly opened a few months ago that he was involved in.  Haven't been there...don't know if it is still open.  Where S & J Oyster used to be...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:05 am »

He is said to be back into the Joe Momma's place and at least talking about re-opening something there.  There was a little something around the corner on 1st street that supposedly opened a few months ago that he was involved in.  Haven't been there...don't know if it is still open.  Where S & J Oyster used to be...

To me, S & J will always be on Brookside....awesome Mardi Gras parties down there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #343 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:40 am »

To me, S & J will always be on Brookside....awesome Mardi Gras parties down there.

Went a few times long, long ago.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #344 on: July 13, 2018, 08:00:10 am »

Update: https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/redevelopers-propose-adaptive-reuse-project-for-former-tulsa-boys-home/article_4ff6dd39-6d79-563d-b3ea-8267c45fac2e.html

Redevelopers propose adaptive reuse project for former Tulsa Boys Home/Laura Dester site

Developers target site slated for demolition for new Pearl Place residential complex

A group of local developers wants to redevelop blighted property targeted for demolition into an adaptive reuse project in the Pearl District.

O’Fallon Properties, LLC, Group M Investment, Inc. and Good Day Properties, LLC are behind Pearl Place, which would transform the former Tulsa Boys Home/Laura Dester site at 1415 E. Eighth St. into 60-65 loft apartments.

The investors presented the proposal Thursday to the Tulsa Development Authority, which voted unanimously to allow the group to enhance their plan and return to the TDA for consideration likely in September.

“We believe strongly that these properties can be renovated and made wonderful again,” said Kimberly Norman, owner of O’Fallon Properties, adding that the project could start a “chain reaction of redevelopment” in the area.

Tulsa Boys Home dormitories were built at that site beginning in 1948, and the property later became home of the Laura Dester Children’s Center.

The state of Oklahoma sold the site in 2015 as part of the city of Tulsa’s Sixth Street Infill (Pearl District) Plan, and in January 2016 the city approved TDA to act as an agent to acquire other properties in this plan area to redevelop. About 1.8 acres of the roughly 4-acre site will contribute to flood-management in accordance with the Elm Creek Watershed Plan.

TDA is on track to raze the five buildings should the investor group’s project not meet the spirit and intent of the request for proposals.

City officials’ chief concerns for the property is that it is a haven for vagrants and has long been a drain on the municipality’s budget. O.C. Walker, TDA executive director, said Thursday that mowing the property costs about $3,500 monthly, with security running roughly $1,000 over the same period.

“We are entering into a period of the hot summer months,” TDA Commissioner Thomas Boxley said. “There are a lot of homeless people that migrate to the area where they can find some type of shelter.”

Following roughly a 100-minute executive session, Commissioner Nancy Roberts, who moved to give the project more study, lauded the investors’ passion.

“Even if we went ahead now with demolition, we would still have the most significant cost, which is mowing,” she said.

The three investor groups, who plan to seek historic tax credits for the Pearl District project, have combined to develop hundreds of properties in the Pearl District, along 11th Street and in the Forest Orchard neighborhood, Norman said. Aaron Meek of Group M Investment was behind the resurrection of a 1927 property into the Campbell Hotel, a 26-room boutique hotel that opened in 2011 on 11th Street.

Tulsa City Councilor Blake Ewing and Amanda DeCort, executive director of the nonprofit Tulsa Foundation for Architecture, spoke Thursday in support of the Pearl District proposal, which already has the backing of the Pearl District Association.

DeCort said the redevelopers “have the goods to make it happen.”

The neighborhood, Ewing said, favors restorative proposals over “scrape-and-build” projects.

“I think what’s being asked for is to value the preservation of the buildings, to value a more grass-roots, neighborhood approach to restoring what’s going on at the site and to work through the nuances of that with people who are, if not historically seasoned on things of this scale, qualified in every other way to make it work,” he said.

Ewing added he would work with the city to resolve ongoing security issues at the site until the site’s future is decided.

“What I don’t want to see is ‘We just have to knock these things down so we don’t have to board the windows up again,’” he said. “I think those would be tremendous and regrettable mistakes.”

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org