A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:16:38 am
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243628 times)
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2016, 01:54:48 pm »

Oh one more thing. Last week the City Council's Public Works Committee was set to consider naming the old Laura Dester shelter at 7th and Rockford as surplus property, which would allow transfer to the Tulsa Development Authority. Could be a big boost for the Pearl District! Anyone know how this turned out or have any other info?

http://www.newson6.com/story/33824951/possible-pearl-district-development-on-agenda-for-tulsa-public-works-committee
johrasephoenix
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »

And when it comes to breaking up the connection between the Pearl/KW/11th and downtown, it has to be said that Oaklawn Cemetery is very inconveniently located. Talk about dead space! (I'm sorry.) But seriously, the raised IDL may created a great big barrier into downtown, but Tracy Park, Oaklawn, and Centennial Park sure don't help either. At least two of those could conceivably be replaced one day. You'll never see a cemetery get dug up and developed.

Incorporating old cemeteries back into the city in a respectful way is a big urban planning challenge....

But yeah, whoever thought it was a good idea to put Texas-sized elevated interstate exchanges at all four corners of downtown and surround it with an elevated ring road......... if they were an urban planner I hope they were taken out back like a rabid dog.

I'm still amazed that that the southern leg of the IDL was built in the 1980s?Huh  The highway revolts that stopped urban interstate construction in most places had already happened (Boston's Inner Belt, NYC's Lower Manhattan Expressway, New Orleans' Riverfront Expressway).  I would give a significant portion of my left foot to have those Tulsa neighborhoods back.  
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »

And when it comes to breaking up the connection between the Pearl/KW/11th and downtown, it has to be said that Oaklawn Cemetery is very inconveniently located. Talk about dead space! (I'm sorry.) But seriously, the raised IDL may created a great big barrier into downtown, but Tracy Park, Oaklawn, and Centennial Park sure don't help either. At least two of those could conceivably be replaced one day. You'll never see a cemetery get dug up and developed.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »

Apartments on the east side of Peoria overlooking the cemetery would be cool and you know your downtown view is safe.  I'm surprised there isn't already something there.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:31 pm »

Apartments on the east side of Peoria overlooking the cemetery would be cool and you know your downtown view is safe.  I'm surprised there isn't already something there.

Wow that would be cool. It hasn't happened yet because 1) the Pearl District hasn't happened the way we all hoped and possibly 2) the BRT along Peoria will help.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2016, 10:18:59 pm »

Especially with the popularity of Walking Dead. 

Sorry, couldn’t help it!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2016, 11:34:01 pm »

Sorry, couldn’t help it!

Ha, yeah...I'm not a fan of that view.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2016, 01:03:13 am »

Sorry, couldn’t help it!

They could just take the Energy Transfer Partners approach and put a pipeline through it - they are getting plenty of experience with that kind of development in North Dakota.  After they finished burying their pipe, the bulldozers would have cleared a space for further development!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2016, 08:53:58 am »

Oh one more thing. Last week the City Council's Public Works Committee was set to consider naming the old Laura Dester shelter at 7th and Rockford as surplus property, which would allow transfer to the Tulsa Development Authority. Could be a big boost for the Pearl District! Anyone know how this turned out or have any other info?

http://www.newson6.com/story/33824951/possible-pearl-district-development-on-agenda-for-tulsa-public-works-committee

This moved forward unanimously. TDA should be putting out a request for proposals for a mixed-use development that may include a flood mitigation component. Time to start fantasizing about what we'd like to see there.

http://councildocs.tulsacouncil.org/SuperContainer/RawData//Z1F2K411232016112347/16-902-1.pdf?a=1
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:29 pm »

Wow that would be cool. It hasn't happened yet because 1) the Pearl District hasn't happened the way we all hoped and possibly 2) the BRT along Peoria will help.

It's been developing organically without the canal/streetscape.  If that happens and with the Peoria and 11th BRT then it should start to redevelop at a faster pace. 

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »

It's been developing organically without the canal/streetscape.  If that happens and with the Peoria and 11th BRT then it should start to redevelop at a faster pace. 

I have a friend who closed his businesses in the Pearl and moved out of there. He said that when the neighborhood first hit everyone's radar a few years ago they thought it would be the next big thing, so they set up shop. But then nobody else joined them. I asked him what the problem was and he said everything had stalled out because the same property investor owns almost everything, isn't selling, isn't redeveloping, and it just holding on to everything and waiting. I have no ability to confirm this myself. Just repeating what I heard and passing along the requisite grain of salt.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #326 on: December 10, 2016, 11:54:57 am »

I have a friend who closed his businesses in the Pearl and moved out of there. He said that when the neighborhood first hit everyone's radar a few years ago they thought it would be the next big thing, so they set up shop. But then nobody else joined them. I asked him what the problem was and he said everything had stalled out because the same property investor owns almost everything, isn't selling, isn't redeveloping, and it just holding on to everything and waiting. I have no ability to confirm this myself. Just repeating what I heard and passing along the requisite grain of salt.

Interesting I'd like to know more and if true that's unfortunate.  Sounds like some of the greedy parking lot owners in downtown or the person/family that owns the brick warehouse at 1st & Elgin.

MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:53 am »

I've heard much the same about one of the owners in the Pearl. There was talk about him starting a wine bar development near The Phoenix, but there didn't seem to be any traction
rebound
City Father

« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2016, 10:13:41 am »

I heard the same.  There is major frustration among some of the owners of other businesses that he is holding up investment in the area.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2016, 10:31:40 am »

Go forth and look up who owns what!

http://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-map-interactive.php

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org