A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:34 pm
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243539 times)
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »

I recently relocated to the Tulsa area.  Part of the decision to do so was based on the promise and potential of the development in downtown.  The collection of art deco buildings here is very special and unique.  The buildings and surrounding areas must be redeveloped and showcased as this can easily set Tulsa apart from any competitively sized cities.  I'm sure most of the members of this forum fully recognize and appreciate Tulsa's architectural assets.  However, I concluded as much after only a 1 1/2 day visit to the area on a job interview. 

What has become 71st street cluster **** can be found anywhere and everywhere.  Moreover, due to poor (almost anything goes) zoning, this area in comparison to similar suburban overdevelopments is among the worst I've experienced in terms of the amount of traffic congestion one has to deal vs. what the area actually offers.  I certainly didn't move to Tulsa for anything the suburbs have to offer, although I am temporarily living in one due to employment logistics.  Not bashing here, Tulsa burbs are fine, just like those found elsewhere.....indistinguishably unremarkable.

BTW, the Pearl urbanism concept definitely represents the type of promise and potential that I'm talking about above!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »

Welcome to Tulsa and TNF! You are a perfect example of the sort of people we want to attract to Tulsa.  Investing money in the urban core is by no means a fad.  I worked downtown 20 years ago and it's been amazing to see the interest keep growing down there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2013, 12:55:46 am »

Downtown is a place to work, for the homeless to hang out, and a place to occasionally go for an event. Focus on that.

Downtown is a hill overlooking a railroad passage that became the early residential and business district.  It is full of history.  I go there because I love it.  I do not love 71st or the Churches of Consumerism malls.  Downtown is close to the river and if I were to work there I could walk everywhere and not have a car once that is my home.

As for the homeless hanging out, I have no answer.  Anyone that does should start a thread.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2013, 01:02:52 am »

I recently relocated to the Tulsa area.  Part of the decision to do so was based on the promise and potential of the development in downtown.  The collection of art deco buildings here is very special and unique.  The buildings and surrounding areas must be redeveloped and showcased as this can easily set Tulsa apart from any competitively sized cities.  I'm sure most of the members of this forum fully recognize and appreciate Tulsa's architectural assets.  However, I concluded as much after only a 1 1/2 day visit to the area on a job interview. 

What has become 71st street cluster **** can be found anywhere and everywhere.  Moreover, due to poor (almost anything goes) zoning, this area in comparison to similar suburban overdevelopments is among the worst I've experienced in terms of the amount of traffic congestion one has to deal vs. what the area actually offers.  I certainly didn't move to Tulsa for anything the suburbs have to offer, although I am temporarily living in one due to employment logistics.  Not bashing here, Tulsa burbs are fine, just like those found elsewhere.....indistinguishably unremarkable.

BTW, the Pearl urbanism concept definitely represents the type of promise and potential that I'm talking about above!

I too chose to live in Tulsa based on what the Art's District is becoming with Downtown's future.  I'm a downtown type person.  I watched Houston be flattened in the 80's.  I lived in Boston after New Orleans and both were experiencing growth.  Then in Pittsburgh I saw the area around the stadium gain interest.  I like old neighborhoods.  Downtown Tulsa will experience lots of infill, regeneration.  It's a great small town.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »

Love this headline. My feeling in investing downtown has now changed.  Roll Eyes

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/sunday-downtown-event-draws-hundreds/article_f2606ba2-5ae1-11e3-8f8b-001a4bcf6878.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2013, 08:19:55 pm »

Good.  Don't need a grouch like you down there anyway to yell at all the kids to 'get off the Green'.

Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2013, 07:25:45 am »

Considering that the typical Sunday evening has very few people out downtown doing much of anything (heck you can drive around much of Tulsa on a Sunday evening and it looks like the city shuts down lol) but yesterday Boston Ave at least, was hopping.  From almost zilch to hundreds in my shop, definitely one more piece in the upward trend for downtown.  Heard so many people last night saying how nice it was being downtown seeing the lights and bustling streets.  Trolleys were packed too shuffling people from one part of downtown to the next.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:48 pm »

Considering that the typical Sunday evening has very few people out downtown doing much of anything (heck you can drive around much of Tulsa on a Sunday evening and it looks like the city shuts down lol) but yesterday Boston Ave at least, was hopping.  From almost zilch to hundreds in my shop, definitely one more piece in the upward trend for downtown.  Heard so many people last night saying how nice it was being downtown seeing the lights and bustling streets.  Trolleys were packed too shuffling people from one part of downtown to the next.

Our volume on Sunday evening is literally identical to every other night sans Thursday and Friday which are slightly busier. Last night was great though I agree, we had our second busiest night ever. I picked up some nice post cards from your shop and recommended it to all of my friends.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »

As for the homeless hanging out, I have no answer.  Anyone that does should start a thread.

There is no good answer....the Salvation Army center provides shelter/food/help, but many still choose to stay outside to have the freedom to do the drugs/alcohol/etc that they can't do there.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:51 pm »

Downtown is a hill overlooking a railroad passage that became the early residential and business district.  It is full of history.  I go there because I love it.  I do not love 71st or the Churches of Consumerism malls.  Downtown is close to the river and if I were to work there I could walk everywhere and not have a car once that is my home.

Every urban core has homeless. They just stick out more in Tulsa because there isn't a community living there yet in downtown.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:52 am »

Downtown revitalization is not a quick process. I know I make comparisons based on living in Phoenix, but there it started in 1992 and is still growing. In '92 the only thing you went there for was a basketball game, or to pick up someone you know from the jail. Portland has been going through the same long process, although way to liberal and greenie, militant bicyclist for me, (I don't want a wheat grass tofu sandwich, I shower every day and don't have enough hair to wear dreads and Patchouli).

I think from what I have read and heard that Tulsa is on the upside of the curve, and relatives that think I should move back to Tulsa think I should be a southie, (reminds me of the description of south Boston, MA) and that if I were to move downtown they wont visit me.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:51 am »

...Portland has been going through the same long process, although way to liberal and greenie, militant bicyclist for me, (I don't want a wheat grass tofu sandwich, I shower every day and don't have enough hair to wear dreads and Patchouli).

I too have lived in Boston (Wellesley) and Portland (both)...  To say that Portland is dreads, Patchouli and tofu is to equate Tulsa to Meth, trash & corndogs/donuts.

Tulsa downtown is on an upswing but I can't see the bar going too high until we get rid of Meth, trash...  improve transport options.  Obviously Tulsa's dining bar is not just donut shops, but boy, do we have our share.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

I too have lived in Boston (Wellesley) and Portland (both)...  To say that Portland is dreads, Patchouli and tofu is to equate Tulsa to Meth, trash & corndogs/donuts.

And your point is....??

I would take exception to the donut section - Portland has Tulsa beat six ways from Sundays on donuts!!  Voo-Doo donuts, that is.... SOOO wish they would have that here!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2013, 09:42:06 am »

Voo-Doo Donuts!  I used to go to Portland a lot, and I had forgotten about that place!  Absolutely the best donut shop.  Donuts are one of my "trigger foods" and so I specifically avoid them, but man, I could go for a Voo-Doo donut right now.

MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:38 am »

Voo-Doo Donuts!  I used to go to Portland a lot, and I had forgotten about that place!  Absolutely the best donut shop.  Donuts are one of my "trigger foods" and so I specifically avoid them, but man, I could go for a Voo-Doo donut right now.

Portland and everything McMenamins I loved.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org