A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243497 times)
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »

These are the types of businesses hurt by an improving Pearl District.  They are there for the cheap land that the area offered for years.  Improvement in the area will cause land values to go up along with property taxes with no benefit to their businesses.  While all property owners have a voice, these squeaky wheels are not the only ones with a vested interest in this area or its rehabilitation to its potential.  At some point after everyone's voice is heard, its time to count the votes and let the chips fall where they may.

Oh trust me, I understand!  The only thing they will benefit from is the increasing property value. 

I want to see a thriving Pearl... I have a vested interest and want to see more of what I am starting to see.  I used to drive up to the wifes shop to work and I could park right in front of the door, now I have to find a parking space... and it involves a little walking.  And this is even on the coldest of evenings.  The more people there means the more people that walk in front of the space and the more people who are exposed to Co-working and might be interested.  Of course it just means I have to work faster to get this place completely done! 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2013, 03:44:48 pm »

their business structure doesn't really point to small, pedestrian friendly area)

Only because a lack of vision, though. An auto body shop would be a fine use until property values come up enough to make it more profitable for the owner to sell and move elsewhere. I'm not really sure why Sherrell thinks it wouldn't be possible for an auto body shop to work in a building that's built out to the street since there are not one, but two, that I know of in buildings not 10 feet from 15th Street. Put the parking/storage in the back rather than the front and bob's your uncle.

Unless the FBC outlaws driveways and alleys?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:57 am »

Only because a lack of vision, though. An auto body shop would be a fine use until property values come up enough to make it more profitable for the owner to sell and move elsewhere. I'm not really sure why Sherrell thinks it wouldn't be possible for an auto body shop to work in a building that's built out to the street since there are not one, but two, that I know of in buildings not 10 feet from 15th Street. Put the parking/storage in the back rather than the front and bob's your uncle.

Unless the FBC outlaws driveways and alleys?

Yeah, but if you have a business that has been in the same location since '59, I don't think I would be keen to move.  I am trying to remember why Sherrell is making an issue of this.  He doesn't really have room to expand anyway... unless he does away with his parking lot.  He is almost at street side anyway. 

And wow, I just pulled the street view of 6th and Peoria... Not sure how long ago it was shot, but it is amazing the difference.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »

Pearl District form-based code expansion set for vote

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130220_11_0_TeTlaM660198

The Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission on Wednesday set a March 6 vote to consider the latest proposals to expand the use of the form-based code within the Pearl District.

The vote will be held at 1:30 p.m. in City Council chamber of City Hall, second Street and Cincinnati Avenue.

Commissioners are not expected to take public comments at the meeting.

Commissioners were presented with five options on how to proceed Wednesday -- including doing nothing -- at a morning workshop.

The city of Tulsa recently held three workshops to take questions and provide information about the code to the public.

The form-based code is new to the city, focusing on structures' form and placement on a piece of property.

It is intended to create urban, walkable neighborhoods.

After initially being approved for a small section of the Pearl District, the form-based has drawn more scrutiny as proponents have pushed to expand its use.

The city has traditionally used a use-based code that separates properties by use -- residential and commercial, for example.

Expansion of the form-based code within the Pearl District has been opposed by some business owners who believe it limits their ability to expand and sets unrealistic construction requirements such as building up to the street.

On March 6, the commissioners will consider options ranging from not expanding the code within the Pearl District to modifying the code itself.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130220_11_0_TeTlaM660198
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:08:48 pm by Townsend » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »

Expansion of Pearl District's form-based code put on hold

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130306_11_0_TheTul993916

The Tulsa Metropolitan Planning Area Planning Commission put the brakes on the use of form-based zoning code Wednesday, voting 9-1 to re-examine the code before considering expanding its use.

More than a dozen Pearl District business owners spoke in opposition to expanding use of the code and strongly urged commissioners to re-evaluate the code.

The city adopted the form-based code in 2011. Until then, the city zoned property based solely on its use -- commercial property in one area, housing in another, for example.

The form-based code puts less emphasis on a property’s use and more on building design and placement on a lot. Mixed-use developments are welcomed under the code; cars are not.

In general, the code encourages the development of dense, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods such as those found in urban communities.

It was first applied to applied to 125 parcels of land covering about 60 acres of the district between Fifth Place and 11th Street west of Peoria Avenue.

Commissioners rejected a proposal -- called a regulating plan -- on Sept. 5 that would have expanded the code’s use to about two-thirds of the district. They cited concerns on how the plan would affect autocentric businesses and manufacturers.

Commissioners then went to work to come up with a scaled-back expansion plan, which was the topic of Wednesday’s discussion.

That proposal called for the new boundary to run east-west along the Sixth Street corridor from Peoria Avenue to Utica Avenue and north-south from the corner of Peoria Avenue to Sixth Street north to Interstate 244.

The proposal also included properties north and east of the area in which the form-based code already applies.

The entire Pearl District includes 1,172 parcels of land covering roughly 300 acres and is bounded by U.S. 75 and Utica Avenue between Interstate 244 and 11th Street.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130306_11_0_TheTul993916
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2013, 04:30:45 pm »

The "regional chamber" members essentially sent form letters outlining their objections to FBC:

http://www.tmapc.org/Agenda/03-06-13/FBC.pdf

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2013, 04:45:34 pm »

The "regional chamber" members essentially sent form letters outlining their objections to FBC:

http://www.tmapc.org/Agenda/03-06-13/FBC.pdf

This should straighten out all the zoners who think they are above the Chamber all mighty.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

As an outsider who doesn't go to any urban-activist meetings, extending the code east to Utica and north to 1st St seems excessive and unnecessary.
IMO, a natural northern boundary for form-based "walkable urbanity" would end at the railroad tracks off 4th St...
And there's maybe 3-5 blocks east of The Phoenix that looks like primo gut-rehab material... past that... meh.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:14:34 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:01 pm »

As an outsider who doesn't go to any urban-activist meetings, extending the code east to Utica and north to 1st St seems excessive and unnecessary.
IMO, a natural northern boundary for form-based "walkable urbanity" would end at the railroad tracks off 4th St...
And there's maybe 3-5 blocks west of The Phoenix that looks like primo gut-rehab material... past that... meh.

I suppose they were not just thinking rehab potential but long range, generational, redevelopment potential.  Plus I think there is a concern for the number of people living in an area to reach that able to support a true,vibrant, mixed use, pedestrian friendly area of the type desired would need to be of at least a certain size to actually have a decent chance of working.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2013, 06:21:29 pm »

I suppose they were not just thinking rehab potential but long range, generational, redevelopment potential.  Plus I think there is a concern for the number of people living in an area to reach that able to support a true,vibrant, mixed use, pedestrian friendly area of the type desired would need to be of at least a certain size to actually have a decent chance of working.

First off, politics is "the art of the possible."
Secondly, the "true, vibrant, mixed use, pedestrian friendly area" off Blue Dome, Brady, and Cherry Street are mostly rehabbed, only stretch for a few blocks, and have quite a few single story businesses represented....  
And thirdly, most pedestrians will not walk more than 4-6 blocks to go anywhere.  Anything beyond that, and we're talking mass transit that would need to run every 10-20 mins after 7pm... otherwise, you'd either drive or buy a vespa...  Grin
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:25:54 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:16 pm »

First off, politics is "the art of the possible."
Secondly, the "true, vibrant, mixed use, pedestrian friendly area" off Blue Dome, Brady, and Cherry Street are mostly rehabbed, only stretch for a few blocks, and have quite a few single story businesses represented....  
And thirdly, most pedestrians will not walk more than 4-6 blocks to go anywhere.  Anything beyond that, and we're talking mass transit that would need to run every 10-20 mins after 7pm... otherwise, you'd either drive or buy a vespa...  Grin

Ok, you do realize that someday and likely within my lifetime, even with Tulsa being a slow growing city, most of the area within the IDL and the Pearl District area all the way to Cherry Street, and more, will be "infilled" with higher density developments.  Unless Tulsa just doesn't grow at all.  What we are talking about is the form that development will take.  I do agree that "the art of the possible" should be the main consideration at this point.  "Perfection" was tried, and tried and tried and at this point, one can see that some leeway, in order to make some positive progress, might be warranted.  I personally would be happy with just allowing mixed use developments outside the IDL, not having them be illegal, for starters.  I would then also like to see certain areas where it's "logical" to begin pedestrian/transit friendly developments begin have even just a couple of rules such as 1. Built up to the sidewalk and 2. Have pedestrian friendly frontages on that sidewalk side.   Height, materials, etc. not a big concern for me.     

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 08:19:22 am »

And there's maybe 3-5 blocks west of The Phoenix that looks like primo gut-rehab material... past that... meh.

You mean east?

The area to the north is because they are building a new large retention pond in that area (like the existing one, but more square)

The area to the east is to make all of that property development material as opposed to highlighting a few property owners. Many of those properties in the planned are owned by people who WANT to develop under this code.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 08:59:57 am »

I guess I don't get why this stops at Utica, the area from Utica - Lewis (if you have driven that way) on your way to TU has some art galleries and some properties that are ripe for development as well have sidewalks and wide streets as well as a pretty cozy vibe with the "curve" that adds some uniqueness to the street. There are lots of commercial buildings some dating back to the age where buildings actually looked cool..there is a big warehouse getting some big remodel with lots of money going into it for something(not sure what)...and a few more a little further east...Marshall Brewing, Urban Tulsa Paper and more are also down that way right on the edge of Utica...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »

Anything beyond that, and we're talking mass transit that would need to run every 10-20 mins after 7pm... otherwise, you'd either drive or buy a vespa...  Grin

Sounds like a job for a trolley!

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:07 pm »

I guess I don't get why this stops at Utica, the area from Utica - Lewis (if you have driven that way) on your way to TU has some art galleries and some properties that are ripe for development as well have sidewalks and wide streets as well as a pretty cozy vibe with the "curve" that adds some uniqueness to the street. There are lots of commercial buildings some dating back to the age where buildings actually looked cool..there is a big warehouse getting some big remodel with lots of money going into it for something(not sure what)...and a few more a little further east...Marshall Brewing, Urban Tulsa Paper and more are also down that way right on the edge of Utica...

Because they can't get this half mile approved, there is plenty of opposition on the other side of utica.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org