A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:37 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243535 times)
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »

Here's the problem with having no minimum parking requirements. I live near a few of those Mayberry type businesses designed for walkability and mass trans. Years back a Denturist located in a building that was originally a 1920's walk up retail store a block away. He provided two spaces for his employees which numbered around 8. He took one. The others parked all day in front of our houses and snarled at us if we complained. Said their taxes paid for them. Eventually we secured no parking signs from 8-4 but then even we couldn't park there. The problem was later compounded when local bars became popular without enough spaces. Then we had drunks parking all night and beer cans in our yards. We are long term owners who maintain the property while the businessmen come and go.

I'm rooting for the Pearl to replace what we used to have on Cherry. I like the look so far but the answer to your parking problems isn't likely to be waiving minimum parking requirements. I think the answer is more in the manner of eliminating street parking altogether, promoting mass transportation and availability of nearby lots.

You can promote mass transit all you want.  People who drive are gonna drive... specially if they are coming in from out of town (owasso, BA, Jenks, etc).  I do believe the key is to have designated parking areas that allow people to park and walk.  The 6th/peoria area has the benefit of the area where the Pearl district farmers market is held.  I have seen people more likely to park there rather than back in the neighborhoods... but I also know this is an exception and not the rule.   

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »

Is there enough room to provide parking immediately north and south of 6th with 5th and 7th being an alternate path to the lots? Sort of like 14th is the alternate for Cherry.

onward...through the fog
46hudson
Citizen

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:52 pm »

JC I think your assessment is correct, safe, secure parking lots behind the 6th st business's is the answer. This will bridge the gap until density grows and sustain those business's if the density never occurs. But who is/should purchase the lots and maintaining them? My guess the property owners/landlords but usually those who spend the money to build such things aren't usually keen on sharing them with those who haven't made the investment. Could their association potentially develop a lot?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:18 am »

Got the parking down and plenty of opportunity to walk.  Now all we need is some shuttle opportunity to "fill in" the blanks.  Have none of the Tulsa 'planners' ever traveled by airplane?  Through an airport that mixes the shuttle/train mover with walking around gate areas? 

Walking from Spaghetti Warehouse to the ball park is great.  Or even Cain's, Brady Theater, etc.  But if near the Courthouse/Library, need some vehicle moving back and forth.  Several of them - between different "zones".  Monorail, even...

Then parking could (should) be a perimeter activity and clear up downtown city streets to become a 'mall' area like Main was for a while.  Get the cars out!  But let's not name it "Bartlett Square"....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2013, 10:28:36 am »

Is there enough room to provide parking immediately north and south of 6th with 5th and 7th being an alternate path to the lots? Sort of like 14th is the alternate for Cherry.

I can go more in depth with everything when i get home tonight (maps n stuff).  Getting to the 6th street are from alternate paths is quite easy.  I generally turn on 4th or 5th and drive down to the lot behind E.House/Lot 6/Creative Room.  Unfortunately, I have no idea who owns that lot; however, it would benefit this area for this lot to actually be a finished surface and lined... I did just look at the historical photos from Google Earth and it appears that lot used to be a tree'd lot and was converted to gravel sometime between 2008 and 2010.  As for other locations to park in that area, I am not entirely sure.  I have done a little driving around but not with that intention.  But after looking at the Earth map, it appears there is quite a bit of area that can become parking for the area, even if just temporary. 

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the future plans for the elm creek flood control (?).  If they do come in and buy up property, there is a big opportunity for the city to make this area even more pedestrian friendly... i also know this is a long way down the road. 

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:19 am »

JC I think your assessment is correct, safe, secure parking lots behind the 6th st business's is the answer. This will bridge the gap until density grows and sustain those business's if the density never occurs. But who is/should purchase the lots and maintaining them? My guess the property owners/landlords but usually those who spend the money to build such things aren't usually keen on sharing them with those who haven't made the investment. Could their association potentially develop a lot?

I be willing to say that at some point or another, the business owners may get together to discuss some of these things.  If there is some improvements that can be done, it may be easier for a group of 6 biz owners to assist in the investment of additional parking, or at a minimum, talk to some of the land owners to see if they would be open to allowing the use of their land for parking.  Anything that adds to the attractiveness of the Pearl will increase property value, which benefits everyone.  More parking will attract more businesses... which will reduce vacant buildings and "polish" that pearl.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:50 am »

Is there anything currently being done with the Savoy Hotel property?  Anyone heard any plans?

Given the activity at 6th & Peoria, and really all along Peoria between 6th & 15th, it would be nice to see this property's potential get utilized.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:33 am »

Is there anything currently being done with the Savoy Hotel property?  Anyone heard any plans?

Given the activity at 6th & Peoria, and really all along Peoria between 6th & 15th, it would be nice to see this property's potential get utilized.

Has the Savoy closed?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:59 am »

Has the Savoy closed?

I thought it was just turned into apartments.  Or it was a couple weeks ago when drove by.

davideinstein
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »

I thought it was just turned into apartments.  Or it was a couple weeks ago when drove by.

Are you talking about that sign in the window?
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:42 am »

Are you talking about that sign in the window?

Yeah and it looked like someone was living inside... but I guess the sign is for the building itself?

davideinstein
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »

What do we do with all of the awful houses between 6th and 11th? I am a huge fan of renovating old anything, but most of these houses don't stand a chance of being flipped.
davideinstein
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »

Yeah and it looked like someone was living inside... but I guess the sign is for the building itself?

I assumed the sign was just for that front studio. That would be an awesome place to crash every night.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:02 am »

What do we do with all of the awful houses between 6th and 11th? I am a huge fan of renovating old anything, but most of these houses don't stand a chance of being flipped.

There are a couple of houses that have promise, but not many. Most are owner neglected and blighted. There are a few cool old apartment sections and the old Tulsa Boys Home could have a new life.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

Since I have spent pretty much everyday for the last 3 months hanging out on 6th, I have noticed quite a bit happening... and I have found more stuff going on in the area than I knew about.  Since the opening of the Phoenix, 6th and peoria has stayed pretty active.  I did have the "pleasure" of meeting the infamous landlord that I have heard so much about here.  Seems nice enough, but I have no business dealings with him, so that probably helps.  I am willing to say that this portion of the pearl (6th and peoria and a couple of blocks in any direction) will rival portions of Cherry street before the end 2013... as long as the planned development continues to happen and as long as the city gets the heck out of the way of development (i.e. cut the red tape crap and put small businesses in a position to succeed, not get bogged down).   

Hmmm.  I really hope this area doesn't become a "rival" of Cherry Street... let Cherry Street be... well... Cherry Street.
I really hope 6th & Peoria develops its own contrasting identity. 

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org