A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:48:48 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243556 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:10 pm »

Centennial Park is stupid underused.

I was there yesterday and I saw 5 other people.  We were there for a fairly long time.

The water features are great.  Beautiful park.  A few dead trees though.  I really hope it doesn't go to crap.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »

There is no swing set or slide
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:57 pm »

There is no swing set or slide

There's a bathin' pond.  Should we build a blue whale?
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 01:50:32 pm »

Centennial Park is stupid underused.

I was there yesterday and I saw 5 other people.  We were there for a fairly long time.

The water features are great.  Beautiful park.  A few dead trees though.  I really hope it doesn't go to crap.

If it had the surrounding neighborhood, it could be similar to Woodward Park. I don't think Woodward Park is any more family friendly than Centennial. When I went by, I saw a wedding party taking pictures. It is a very charming park considering it is brand new. It didn't feel as young as it is, although many of the trees have much growing to do.

Although I know it is more likely that pigs fly, my hope is that they tear down the eastern leg of the IDL (HW 75). Pretty unlikely I know, but I recall seeing a talk a few years back about dropping one of the legs to create more connectivity to downtown (since it is basically an island to pedestrians bound by highways). I think they came to a similar conclusion that the east leg would be not only the most beneficial, but the easiest on traffic re-routing.

Also, how long have they been working on the building @ 6th & Peoria that the Phoenix is going to be in? I remember hearing about that it seemed like ages ago.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 06:52:52 am »

Townsend, you should have gone to pride in the park.  There were lots of people there.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 07:07:48 am »

Townsend, you should have gone to pride in the park.  There were lots of people there.

At 3rd and Kenosha?  I was there.  Got pics in the parade as well.

I was there for it in Centennial park a couple of years ago.

The single dingle protesting at the park needed a good whipping.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:20 pm »

Well they had Pride in the Park on sunday at centenial. Saturday was 3rd and kenosha.  Good times.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 08:16:08 am »

Windows are being installed in the Phoenix
6th And Peoria

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12:03 am »

There's a bathin' pond.  Should we build a blue whale?

...or maybe a two-story McDonald's?

Double-decker McDonald’s coming to Oklahoma City
http://newsok.com/double-decker-mcdonalds-planned-for-oklahoma-city/article/3682945

/snark.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

...or maybe a two-story McDonald's?

Double-decker McDonald’s coming to Oklahoma City
http://newsok.com/double-decker-mcdonalds-planned-for-oklahoma-city/article/3682945

Think customers will choose to take the stairs?
rdj
City Father

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:00 am »

Can adults ride the slide down?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 10:03:50 am »

I keep seeing fundraisers for Ronald McDonald house. I had no idea it would look so nice.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 02:38:02 pm »

Did anyone notice that the june meeting just kicked the can down to august?  I'm begining to grow really uncertain about the pearl's future.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »

Did anyone notice that the june meeting just kicked the can down to august?  I'm begining to grow really uncertain about the pearl's future.

Yes, there is a blurb in UT about it.

Attack Plan
Other cities may offer a model for Pearl District property code compromise

BY JAIME ADAME

It took about 25 minutes on June 6 for local planning authorities to merely follow a staff recommendation and postpone discussion until a later meeting.

Such is the routine when the topic involves the ambitious proposal to revamp rules for property development in the Pearl District.

No vote will happen until at least Aug. 1, with two community outreach meetings and a work session scheduled in the meantime to perhaps help resolve what has become a divisive issue.

Like many recent meetings, the June 6 meeting of the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission included comment from a business-owner expressing skepticism about the idea.

From afar, experts in the type of urban plan known as a form-based code express little surprise that the measure has met with some resistance.

"You know, change is hard," said Mary Madden, a principal with Ferrell Madden, the firm that helped draft an early version of Tulsa's code. "Most people are willing to just
stick with a system or process that they know and they're familiar with, rather than go to a new system, unless there are clear benefits."

Read More

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A50053

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »

... an oldie but a goodie....

City Councilman Unearths Magical Zoning Amulet

http://www.theonion.com/articles/city-councilman-unearths-magical-zoning-amulet,1782/

"Two weeks ago, the biggest news in Rochester was our huge public garage sale," said William A. Johnson, Rochester's mayor. "Our city center was still a moribund tax burden with small businesses in big buildings and families moving to the suburbs in droves. Now, with a wave of his mighty amulet, Councilman LaMere can designate matter-of-right medium-density development, with limited offices for non-profit organizations, trade associations, and professionals permitted as a special exception requiring approval of the RCZA."

Despite the potential improvements to Rochester's civic landscape, some residents remain wary of LaMere's apparent bureaucratic invincibility.

"It's wonderful that someone's finally doing something to revitalize this town, even if it is someone who can commune with church gargoyles," said local baker Wendy Kittner, whose business was mystically placed on the National Register Of Historic Places last week despite being housed in a building erected in 1981. "He frightens me, and my concern is that if I defy him, I may be turned to stone."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:48:10 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org