A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:27:44 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God's Quarterback  (Read 55161 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:05 am »

You found this commercial offensive?

https://focusonthefamily.webconnex.com/free-downloads?refcd=102307

You really need to work on your tolerance of other's beliefs. I saw this commercial and all it did for me was to begin a discussion of how interesting it was that such a group would buy ads during a football telecast. They probably were gambling that Tebow's last game this year would give them more than the average Christian viewers. They are a non-profit who depends on donations to continue their work.

That's the way I saw it. It was an exercise in advertising exploitation.  No different than the fans who hoist 3:16 banners behind the goal posts during extra point attempts. I just made note that this group, who's image with me is not good because of their previous public stands, was smart enough to buy time and play off the celebrity of the moment. It would have been dumb for them not to buy this expensive time that screamed out 3:16. Probably paid $316,000 for that 15 seconds. But they knew their people would be watching and pulling for God's quarterback.

On the other hand. The Clown is right about two things. Had it been Planned Parenthood or Atheists oriented the net would be buzzing with outrage. And, the game was only mildly interesting and over before halftime.

The ad itself was well done and of course no one can dislike kids, babies, puppies and kittens.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:05:13 am by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

Tebow Crucified by the Pats.... Huh Huh Huh

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

They are a non-profit who depends on donations to continue their work.

I hope you were going for "damning with faint praise" on that one. I could go into why that particular group deserves almost any amount of scorn that could possibly be heaped upon it, but as I said, politics and religion are not to be mixed with football.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2012, 01:53:05 pm »

The sad thing is, they are exploiting Tebow who has remained rather low key about his religion. He isn't like the excited players who when interviewed manage to immediately blurt out, "First, I want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ for everything....blah, blah, blah." He just takes a moment for a silent prayer.

He is even exploited by his rabid internet supporters who coined the label, God's Quarterback and say that Jesus is helping him win. That truly robs the guy of any responsibility for his successes. Negates his work ethic, his hard earned running skills and his leadership. One wonders if they now have less faith in their religion since he was so thoroughly beaten. What...it was his non believer team mates that are to blame?

onward...through the fog
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2012, 02:10:54 pm »

The sad thing is, they are exploiting Tebow who has remained rather low key about his religion. He isn't like the excited players who when interviewed manage to immediately blurt out, "First, I want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ for everything....blah, blah, blah." He just takes a moment for a silent prayer.

He is even exploited by his rabid internet supporters who coined the label, God's Quarterback and say that Jesus is helping him win. That truly robs the guy of any responsibility for his successes. Negates his work ethic, his hard earned running skills and his leadership. One wonders if they now have less faith in their religion since he was so thoroughly beaten. What...it was his non believer team mates that are to blame?
Wait, what?  who are you talking about?  This guy that said "first I want to thank Jesus Christ, my lord and savior" within the first three seconds of the interview?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk_lX3uMzho[/youtube]
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »

Lol...Exploiting Tebow thats Rich....!!!!

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »

Extremists "Focus on the Family" run commercial during Tim Tebow game (VIDEO)

http://www.examiner.com/liberal-in-orlando/extremists-focus-on-the-family-run-commercial-during-tim-tebow-game-video

In American politics, the number one issue across the country is the economy. People are always looking at the unemployment and job numbers hoping that the economy continues to move in the right direction. While the economy is at the top of the list of the majority of Americans, social issues can replace the economy among many, especially religious Americans.

Whether its issues dealing with abortion and same-sex marriage or teaching creationism in public schools, social and religious issues always seem to find their way into the conversation. Many organizations have formed across the country with the clear agenda of pushing conservative ideology on the American public. One of the leading offenders is a group called "Focus on the Family." Using a catching name, Focus on the Family" hides their anti-equality bigotry with smiley children quoting from the Bible. A borderline hate group, Focus supports all the token conservative party lines, anti-choice, anti-LGBT equality and anti-science. During the AFC Divisional Playoff game on CBS between the New England Patriots and Denver Broncos, Focus ran a 30 second ad containing children reading the Bible passage, John 3:16 from the Bible.

RM, watch out how you attempt to frame a poster as hypocritical. Yes, I am intolerant of hate groups....even the borderline ones.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »

You found this commercial offensive?

https://focusonthefamily.webconnex.com/free-downloads?refcd=102307

You really need to work on your tolerance of other's beliefs. I saw this commercial and all it did for me was to begin a discussion of how interesting it was that such a group would buy ads during a football telecast. They probably were gambling that Tebow's last game this year would give them more than the average Christian viewers. They are a non-profit who depends on donations to continue their work.

Didn't Jim Jone's cult depend on donation's to continue their work? They were certainly a non-prophet.

Offensive only that I had a higher opinion of CBS....

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2012, 02:53:07 pm »

I can't get the sound to work on that link. I'll have to take your word for it that he uttered them. Is it common for him to do that?

Even so, it doesn't negate my assertion. Just means I hadn't seen him do it. Lots of people are bandwagoning on Tebow's notoriety even though others, including other quarterbacks, are just as devout or more. When the Rams won the Superbowl a few years back it was their quarterback who blurted those words. No one went off on him back then.

The next time he fails to deliver or is traded, watch them jump off the Tebow ship just as fast.

He is being exploited, that is, mined for value, by lots of people who have different motives than his simple faith. So goes the world.

onward...through the fog
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »

I can't get the sound to work on that link. I'll have to take your word for it that he uttered them. Is it common for him to do that?

Even so, it doesn't negate my assertion. Just means I hadn't seen him do it. Lots of people are bandwagoning on Tebow's notoriety even though others, including other quarterbacks, are just as devout or more. When the Rams won the Superbowl a few years back it was their quarterback who blurted those words. No one went off on him back then.

The next time he fails to deliver or is traded, watch them jump off the Tebow ship just as fast.

He is being exploited, that is, mined for value, by lots of people who have different motives than his simple faith. So goes the world.
I think the exploitation does not stop with the people on the bandwagon, I personally think it is driving it.  The problem I have had with him is it all just seems so contrived, it seems to me that he is putting on a show.  I may be wrong, he may just be a really devoted Christian and does all of this solely for himself and his relationship with his lord, but it doesn't come across that way to me.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2012, 03:09:41 pm »

Don't get me wrong. I hated the heaps of praise that ESPN gave him when he was an average college quarterback and always suspected it was because of his wholesome all American Christian persona. It looks real to me but nothing surprises me anymore.

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2012, 03:12:36 pm »

Football players and prostitutes abuse their bodies for the pleasure of others.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2012, 02:33:02 pm »

Grin Cheesy Wink
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

Saw the Broncos lost today. Last playoff victory for Denver? Yep. Team led by:

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2013, 01:37:21 am »

Saw the Broncos lost today. Last playoff victory for Denver? Yep. Team led by:

He's a heretic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org