A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:22 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Arrow events park  (Read 3757 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:07 am »

Didn't know about this one.

Per Tulsa World:

Access to make BA park a step closer

BROKEN ARROW - Another hurdle has been cleared with the awarding of a $1.2 million construction contract for access to what is planned to be a regional attraction for large, outdoor events.

The future Events Park sits on 85 acres in east Broken Arrow in Wagoner County.

The city has already purchased most of the land from the Anderson farm family plus another 15 acres for around $2.8 million.

The property has numerous trees, wildlife, a six-acre stocked pond, a creek and an expansive open area where officials envision hosting the kind of outdoor events they've never had before like balloon and music festivals, fireworks shows and Civil War re-enactments.

"We're doing everything we can to keep this as rustic as we can," said David Blue, events coordinator for the city. "It's just a beautiful piece of property."

Blue said that the site offers a great combination of rolling hills and trees in a rural setting within a metropolitan area that can attract a greater number of attendees.

The contract was awarded to Morton Excavating, which was among eight other companies vying for the project. Morton had the lowest bid followed by Becco Contractors. Both were more than $200,000 under the engineer's estimate.

The contract calls for a two-lane entry road and bridge north of 101st Street just east of the Creek Turnpike and close to Northeastern State University-Broken Arrow.

A 300-space parking lot, an area for buses to turn around and a water line connection to the Wagoner County Rural Water District No. 4 are included in the plans.

To keep the property's native appearance, Blue said that the parking lot will still look like a grass lot but it will have concrete underground, which will give the ground some stability, Blue said.

The project is funded from the 2008 and 2011 bond issues approved by voters for park or "quality of life" projects.

Blue said the pond would eventually be improved for increased flood retention, and water and outdoor power will be added for vendors and stage acts.

Before the events park was pursued, Blue said officials surveyed BA residents.

"The No. 1 thing they said is that they would like to see more events in Broken Arrow," Blue said.

Future phases identified in the master plan call for a multipurpose trade show building, walking trails, fishing dock and children's play structures. That will depend on future funding availability and continued public support, Blue said.

"Eventually, this is going to be a premier place."

BAGuy
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »

Yeah, I am excited to have an events park in Broken Arrow!
TeeDub
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:35:54 am »

I am excited by underground concrete.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:43:04 am »

I am excited by underground concrete.

I like pie.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org