A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:14 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Anthony's BBQ  (Read 13970 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:32 pm »

I saw a little notice in this weeks Weekend about a former TU basketball player, Anthony Fobbs, has opened a new BBQ at 8151 E 21st St.   Lunch and dinner Wed-Sat and lunch only on Sunday.    I guess I will try to go check it out.   Google maps shows it being in the little strip center across from Golden Corral.   

Then it is off to check out Oklahoma Joes.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »

I saw a little notice in this weeks Weekend about a former TU basketball player, Anthony Fobbs, has opened a new BBQ at 8151 E 21st St.   Lunch and dinner Wed-Sat and lunch only on Sunday.    I guess I will try to go check it out.   Google maps shows it being in the little strip center across from Golden Corral.   

Then it is off to check out Oklahoma Joes.   

Wonder if it's the old Ti Amo's location.  I used to be in that strip center frequently in the mid 90s (avid pool player and Billiard Palace was there).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

Wonder if it's the old Ti Amo's location.  I used to be in that strip center frequently in the mid 90s (avid pool player and Billiard Palace was there).
I was wondering the same.  And we might have crossed paths at the Palace a few times, I was there a lot, up until I got banned.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »

I was wondering the same.  And we might have crossed paths at the Palace a few times, I was there a lot, up until I got banned.

That's possible, I was up there nearly daily after work with a buddy of mine for about 18 months starting in Jan 1994.  We played both pool and foosball.  Always played nine-ball and he had a pretty trick McDermott cue.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:14:32 pm »

You guy's remember the slot car store with the huge race tracks and a slot car drag strip ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:47 pm »

You guy's remember the slot car store with the huge race tracks and a slot car drag strip ?

In that strip mall?  Vaguely.  I remember Tia Amo's, the pool hall which took up about half of it, and Subway facing 21st.  I remember me losing a $500 gold ring my ex-wife got me for my birthday out there because I found out I had a hole in the pocket of my jeans and took my ring off and put it there.  I was a dumbass.  I usually am not a big fan of rings, but I did like that one.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:19:45 pm »

In that strip mall?  Vaguely.  I remember Tia Amo's, the pool hall which took up about half of it, and Subway facing 21st.  I remember me losing a $500 gold ring my ex-wife got me for my birthday out there because I found out I had a hole in the pocket of my jeans and took my ring off and put it there.  I was a dumbass.  I usually am not a big fan of rings, but I did like that one.
There was a subway there, not sure if it still is or not.  I remember the tia amo's, and the rest was simply stuff between the palace and tia amo's lol.  So no, I don't remember the slot car place.  Of course, I've had a bout of alcoholism since then, so my memory is a bit shaky of that time period.
dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:47 pm »

There was a car rental place there for a while as well back in 92. I think it was a Thrifty Car Rental.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:03:12 am »

Hate to interrupt all the memories of what was but back to Big Anthony's.  Had the two meat combo - ribs and sliced brisket.  Both needed a lot more time in the smoker.  The house sauce is heavy on the cinnamon, too heavy.  The sides were bacon cabbage needed to be cooked more and the mac and cheese was the best part.  I will give them another try but the first visit did not leave me wanting more.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

There was a barbeque event on the Arkansas river at Bixby last year??  Anyway, there was a REALLY tall guy way to the west end of the event that I think was called Big Anthony.  He was an older guy (50-ish, but I think he said something about playing at TU.  Does anyone know if this is the same guy??

If so, I will be there at the earliest opportunity to see if he can cook consistently - the guy on the river did really good que!  

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:30:39 am »

There was a barbeque event on the Arkansas river at Bixby last year??  Anyway, there was a REALLY tall guy way to the west end of the event that I think was called Big Anthony.  He was an older guy (50-ish, but I think he said something about playing at TU.  Does anyone know if this is the same guy??

If so, I will be there at the earliest opportunity to see if he can cook consistently - the guy on the river did really good que!  

Yes, that's Big Anthony.  He's been a fellow competitor for years.  Good guy.  Never tasted his stuff, but drank a lot of beer with him.  He makes a good showing in the people's choice in both AOB and Bixby BBQ & Music festival.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:41 pm »

Yes, that's Big Anthony.  He's been a fellow competitor for years.  Good guy.  Never tasted his stuff, but drank a lot of beer with him.  He makes a good showing in the people's choice in both AOB and Bixby BBQ & Music festival.

Cool!  He was definitely in the top 5 at that event, and we asked him if he had a store.  He said no, but I think he said he was doing catering - or was gonna if we wanted to order something.

Will have to go see if he is able to transition to commercial operation.  He was a very friendly guy.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:22:22 pm »

Cool!  He was definitely in the top 5 at that event, and we asked him if he had a store.  He said no, but I think he said he was doing catering - or was gonna if we wanted to order something.

Will have to go see if he is able to transition to commercial operation.  He was a very friendly guy.

He's a great guy!  One of the few that hangs with us until early in the morning telling lies and drinking beer.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:02 pm »

He's a great guy!  One of the few that hangs with us until early in the morning telling lies and drinking beer.

Good times!!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:43:07 pm »

I'm starting to feel like the Grinch.  Still like Albert G's extremely well.  Went to Anthony's over weekend.

Sunday sounds like a fantastic deal - $8.99 for one plate loaded up as full as you want it and can carry.  Almost a buffet...

Ribs - pretty good, but not quite as great as I remembered from the river.  Will be trying it again after first of year.
Pork - good
Sauce - I liked it.  Was a mixed review by all participants, but generally favorable.

Beans - pretty good to all.  I put sauce in beans, and after that, liked them even more.
Corn bread muffins - mixed reviews
Bacon cabbage - was loved by all
Cole slaw - only one ate it, and liked it.

They are following the lead of all the other newbies - 3 ribs for an order and no peppers and onions.  After eating, were told that they forgot those, and I believe them.  VERY NICE people.  Enjoyed the atmosphere a LOT.  Felt like a comfortable little 'hole in the wall' place which is exactly the kind of thing we are always looking for.

There was a slight disappointment based on the expectation gained from the river event.  And that may have been 'old guy' memory acting up.
Will be back.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org