A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:47 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Make-or-break time for the middle class" Obama to take charge. . .next year.  (Read 5520 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »

"The president today will give a speech that will really make clear that the middle class is facing a make or break moment," Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One.  

"Congress must act within the next three weeks," the president said while scraping dirt from a worn pair of Foot Joy golf spikes, then stuffing them in the nap of his golf bag, then disappearing into the private office at the front of the plane.

"The president wishes he was able to work with congress on this issue, but after completing this series of campaign stops, the President will take a well deserved break to be with his family for a few days in Hawaii," said Carney.

With a series of golf outings planned with donors during the daytime, and the cool breezes of the windward side of Oahu in the evenings, the President will get an opportunity to spend quality time with his family and perhaps the next lucky recipient of a government stimulus check.

The 7,000-square-foot vacation home features “five bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms, a media room with surround sound, a kitchen suited for a master chef, a dining room and great room, a secluded lagoon-style pool with tropical waterfalls and a lavish island spa.” The ocean lanai and garden lanai also showcase ornate landscaping and “stunning views” of Kailua Bay and Mount Olomana.

The Honolulu Police Department spent $228,247 for the president's most recent Christmas/New Year's visit last year, according to the Hawaii Reporter, which noted that city taxpayers have never been reimbursed for $350,000 they spent on police overtime in 2008 and 2009 related to earlier Obama trips.

It costs about $1 million to take Air Force One to Hawaii, and an additional $140,000 for both of the USAF C-17 cargo aircraft that are used to transport presidential limos, helicopters and other support equipment.

An undisclosed number of political donors will rent the surrounding properties and the remaining six beach homes will be reserved for the Secret Service and Navy SEALs for between $1,000 and $1,250 a day, and there will be 24 hour Coast Guard patrols on two 30-foot speedboats mounted with high-powered firearms as well as two smaller boats.

Obama staff and lesser donors will stay at the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa, on Waikiki Beach for a rate of between $350 to $450 a night.

Durring his last visit to Hawaii in November, President Obama addressed a gathering of 300 supporters & donors to let them know he would be returning on December 17th, allowing them to make the proper reservations and appointments.  "It is great to be home, great to feel that aloha spirit. And Michelle and the girls will be back shortly for Christmas vacation, as we do every year,” he said at that time."

The Mid Pacific Country Club will be closed to members during the president's visit, except for donors invited by the president.

Every year his Hawaiian vacation costs tax payers between $1 million and $1.5 million dollars. There is no report on how much campaign money he expects to raise, but with his new campaign slogan of "fairness," he is encouraging the financially fortunate to give a fair amount, and reminding them that he "remembers" his friends.  Wink

http://paradisepointestates.com/plantation.php
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:17:04 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:33 pm »

The 7,000-square-foot vacation home features “five bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms, a media room with surround sound, a kitchen suited for a master chef, a dining room and great room, a secluded lagoon-style pool with tropical waterfalls and a lavish island spa.” The ocean lanai and garden lanai also showcase ornate landscaping and “stunning views” of Kailua Bay and Mount Olomana.

I don't really expect the Prez to stay in a Motel 6.   However, I wish he would just be on vacation and not be doing a fundraiser if the taxpayers (US and Hawaii in particular) are footing the entire bill.

Fundraiser expenses should come out of his campaign fund, at least to the extent that other candidates pay their way.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:06 pm »

From this moment on, everything is a fund-raiser.  No time for any endeavor outside of campaigning.
It's make-or-break time!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:17:18 pm by Gaspar » Logged

dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Congress has three weeks to come up with a plan? The stupid committee had three months and could not come up with a plan.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

Right now the only problem with the bill is that Reid is trying to slip in a permanent tax to offset a temporary tax cut.  Otherwise there's really nothing wrong with the bill.  We will have to see if Reid backs down.  Currently he only needs 3 more votes to pass the thing, and he happens to be lacking three Democrats.

So there is a bi-partisan effort to not pass the bill until the permanent tax hike is removed, and the legislation is rendered "fair." 

Ball is in Reid's court right now, and I doubt he will bend.  President Obama needs him to keep this bill on the ropes so that he can campaign against the "do nothing congress."

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »

BREAKING:  Harry Reid says that President Obama may postpone his vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Reuters) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said President Barack Obama told him and other Democratic leaders on Wednesday that he would delay his vacation plans this month if necessary to get an extension of a payroll tax cut passed through Congress.

Both sides agree that the temporary tax measure must be passed.  Republicans want to fund it with a temporary tax increase on the wealthy.  Democrats want to use it to implement a permanent tax increase on the wealthy.  The president is caught in the middle, just trying to get a few rounds in before the new year!

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »

Nominated for one of the worst threads of 2011. Lots of competition I know, but any thread talking about the cost of presidential vacations, travel etc. is just a waste of brain space.

Oh, yeah, its "break".

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »

Nominated for one of the worst threads of 2011. Lots of competition I know, but any thread talking about the cost of presidential vacations, travel etc. is just a waste of brain space.

Oh, yeah, its "break".

Especially since the immediate predecessor did so much more...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:33:19 pm »

You're probably right.  I'm too hard on President Obama.  He's doing everything he can.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

They've both done pretty good taking vacations and other time off.  Do you have a side to side list you could post comparing the immediate predecessor with the current?  If so, please post it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »

He's doing everything he can.

Which makes it even more unfortunate.

I guess it's time to blame the Republicans and Bush again.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:41:18 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »

He's bending to the pressure.  He's listening.  That's good.  I commend the president on his change of heart.

After getting ripped by GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney over his vacation plans, Obama told Senate Democratic leaders Wednesday that he will stay in town until Congress finishes work on the payroll tax holiday, unemployment benefits and other issues.

Obama told Democratic leaders: “Michelle and the girls are going to have a great time in Hawaii, they don’t need me there,” according to Senate Majority Leader Reid (D-Nev.).

Romney blasted Obama’s vacation plans on Monday.

“I just think it’s time to have a president whose idea of being ‘hands on’ doesn’t mean getting a better grip on the golf club,” Romney told potential caucus voters in Iowa.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/197835-president-cancels-hawaii-trip-after-getting-blasted-by-romney

There's gonna be a bunch of angry donors.  Perhaps they will find another way to compete for next year's stimulus gigs.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »

Romney has actually launched a new website.

http://fortyfore.com/

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

cartoon day!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »

http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org