A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:36:11 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savastano's  (Read 32251 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »

We went back yesterday with my Italian friends from Belleville, Ill.  They love the place.  High compliments considering they owned an Italian restaurant for 25+ years.  This time we tried the thin crust “City Dump”.  Much more manageable, and I didn’t feel like I weighed 500 pounds when we left.  Love their home made sausage.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

We went back yesterday with my Italian friends from Belleville, Ill.  They love the place.  High compliments considering they owned an Italian restaurant for 25+ years.  This time we tried the thin crust “City Dump”.  Much more manageable, and I didn’t feel like I weighed 500 pounds when we left.  Love their home made sausage.

Last time I went there it was four of us, and we had the 'Sears Tower' pizza?  I think that was what it was named.  Appropriate.  I could barely eat one piece of it.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was a lot.

EDIT: Ugh, just realized how old this post was and also realized I just repeated myself...oh well, age.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:20:55 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

Last time I went there it was four of us, and we had the 'Sears Tower' pizza?  I think that was what it was named.  Appropriate.  I could barely eat one piece of it.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was a lot.

EDIT: Ugh, just realized how old this post was and also realized I just repeated myself...oh well, age.

Hoss your starting to sound more like Little Joe. If their crust wasn't so darn flimsy I probably would like it. I just don't like loosing all the toppings while trying to serve it from the pan to my plate. It looked terrible after scooping them back on but it was tasty. I was one and done.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:32 pm »

Hoss your starting to sound more like Little Joe. If their crust wasn't so darn flimsy I probably would like it. I just don't like loosing all the toppings while trying to serve it from the pan to my plate. It looked terrible after scooping them back on but it was tasty. I was one and done.

There is a new invention - just within the last few hundred years - that works wonders for that problem.  Fork.  I have tried it a time or two and love it!!  (Just the kind of smart-a you needed today, I bet...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 03:28:25 pm »

There is a new invention - just within the last few hundred years - that works wonders for that problem.  Fork.  I have tried it a time or two and love it!!  (Just the kind of smart-a you needed today, I bet...)

Ya I know back East they call it a pie. I just don't really like eating one that way.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:52 pm »

Ya I know back East they call it a pie. I just don't really like eating one that way.

From the Phila PA area:
I remember calling it Pizza or even Pizza Pie (which is actually a bit redundant).  i kind of remember the loaded down versions sometimes having a name of their own.  That was a long time ago though. 

One of my cousins was in Italy during his hitch in the USAF in the 60s.  He said that most Italians considered what we call Pizza to be poor peoples' food and it typically was not served in "better" restaurants.  That may have changed by now.  When I was in Germany in 1995, my German friends all ate Pizza with a fork after cutting it with a knife.  It was not picked up and chomped on like most of us eat Pizza.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 08:05:25 am »

That sounds about right Red. We are the Barbarians of the food World.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 12:26:50 pm »

From the Phila PA area:
I remember calling it Pizza or even Pizza Pie (which is actually a bit redundant).  i kind of remember the loaded down versions sometimes having a name of their own.  That was a long time ago though. 

One of my cousins was in Italy during his hitch in the USAF in the 60s.  He said that most Italians considered what we call Pizza to be poor peoples' food and it typically was not served in "better" restaurants.  That may have changed by now.  When I was in Germany in 1995, my German friends all ate Pizza with a fork after cutting it with a knife.  It was not picked up and chomped on like most of us eat Pizza.

It’s been over 30 years ago since I was in Italy, but my recollection is similar.  Seems like theirs was served on rectangular sheet pans with sparse ingredients and that a round pizza piled high with everything in the fridge is an American thing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »

It perhaps began here, but it definitely didn't stay here. Many years ago I had a very nice, upscale pizza in Vienna, of all places. Great toppings and an appropriately subtle use of tomato sauce on a hand-tossed crust.

From my time in New York I recall a difference between Neapolitan pizza, which I think is the kind we are used to, and Sicilian pizza, which used a thicker crust and was baked in a square pan. I stuck to the old reliable "slice of cheese pizza" that you could get everywhere on the cheap, the kind with a crust so thin that you had to fold it before eating it.

It’s been over 30 years ago since I was in Italy, but my recollection is similar.  Seems like theirs was served on rectangular sheet pans with sparse ingredients and that a round pizza piled high with everything in the fridge is an American thing.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org