A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:55:35 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savastano's  (Read 32250 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 11:48:49 am »

Also: I remember a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye sent off for a certain type of Ribs and I think they were from Chicago. What's up with Chicago style food ?

It's from Chicago!  (The attraction should be self-evident...)

Most Chicago style things are pretty good.  Dogs, barbeque - sometimes, pizza not so much - northeast varieties are better.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »

And never. EVER.  put ketchup on a hotdog.  In Chicago that's considered sacrilege.

Ketchup serves only two purposes:
1.  Making tomato soup in a restaurant when you have no money.
2.  Adding color to horseradish for coctail sauce with shrimp.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 12:17:41 pm »

It's from Chicago!  (The attraction should be self-evident...)

Most Chicago style things are pretty good.  Dogs, barbeque - sometimes, pizza not so much - northeast varieties are better.

I've never thought of Chicago as a BBQ mecca.  What is the Chicago style as opposed to Memphis, KC, or the Carolinas?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:01 pm »

I've never thought of Chicago as a BBQ mecca.  What is the Chicago style as opposed to Memphis, KC, or the Carolinas?

Don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, based on other Chicago stuff, that they stole the barbeque style from somewhere else.  (There was even a pretty good barbeque place in Milwaukee called Saz's.  Kind of a KC style.)  There was a LOT of meat processing/shipping through there at one time.  They could have learned a little (stolen ideas) about barbeque from all the livestock related travelers through the area

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:13:48 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »

Don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, based on other Chicago stuff, that they stole the barbeque style from somewhere else.  (There was even a pretty good barbeque place in Milwaukee called Saz's.  Kind of a KC style.)

My personal preference is dry rub style and dab it in the sauce if one must.  I think the highest compliment I ever got on my ribs was my future mother in law telling me "don't bother" when I asked what flavor rib sauce she wanted "because putting any on your ribs would be sacrilege." 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »

My personal preference is dry rub style and dab it in the sauce if one must.  I think the highest compliment I ever got on my ribs was my future mother in law telling me "don't bother" when I asked what flavor rib sauce she wanted "because putting any on your ribs would be sacrilege." 

Sauce on ribs and brisket is a sin. I only use it on pulled pork and sausages. Why do I feel dirty after posting this?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:24 pm »

I've never thought of Chicago as a BBQ mecca.  What is the Chicago style as opposed to Memphis, KC, or the Carolinas?

They do have a style!  Very very sweet sauces.  Usually wet ribs, and the sauce is a deep caramelized ketchup based mop.

I do not like it.  Every time i'm up there I have a friend that insists I try it again and again.  Last time I was at either Ray's or Woody's and the sauce (ketchup skin I call it) literally stuck to my teeth like taffy.  The main technique is that they "mop" it during the smoke, then hit it with the ultra sweet ketchup sauce,  flame kiss it on the grill until it caramelizes, and serve it sticky.

There are several good BBQ spots in Chicago, and most of those advertise "Texas Style."  The ones I've tasted still use the sweet sauce but they use a dry rub only and serve the meat dry.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacks fan
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »

Thanks guys, you mentioned Chicago style dogs and gave me a craving for something I can't get here.

https://chicagogyros.biz/iTake-Out-Menu.pdf

https://chicagogyros.biz/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 05:35:31 pm »

Thanks guys, you mentioned Chicago style dogs and gave me a craving for something I can't get here.

https://chicagogyros.biz/iTake-Out-Menu.pdf

https://chicagogyros.biz/

No gyros in Oregon?

dbacks fan
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »

Not within 20 miles of where I'm at, and that place in PHX was great. Nice little family run place. Went there so often they would start making what I wanted before I got to the register.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »

I've quit eating gyros very often once it dawned on me they are probably loaded with all sorts of preservatives.  I've got a recipe to make it myself but still have not done so.  I've seen a few places on Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives which make their own from scratch on a spit using thin sliced beef & lamb.  Jim's Never On Sunday is still the place in Tulsa for gyros.  Next time you make it here, lunch is on me.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

I've quit eating gyros very often once it dawned on me they are probably loaded with all sorts of preservatives.  I've got a recipe to make it myself but still have not done so.  I've seen a few places on Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives which make their own from scratch on a spit using thin sliced beef & lamb.  Jim's Never On Sunday is still the place in Tulsa for gyros.  Next time you make it here, lunch is on me.

They have good ones, but I think there's a challenger out at Shisk-A-Bob's on 31st/Garnett.  And they have, quite simply, the best cucumber sauce I've ever had.

Patiently awaiting BB's 16 year old like remark in 3...2....1

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:57 pm »

They have good ones, but I think there's a challenger out at Shisk-A-Bob's on 31st/Garnett.  And they have, quite simply, the best cucumber sauce I've ever had.

Patiently awaiting BB's 16 year old like remark in 3...2....1

I wouldn't have picked up on that had you not invited a remark. Allow me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuCeHUxoBY[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »

I wouldn't have picked up on that had you not invited a remark. Allow me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuCeHUxoBY[/youtube]

Self-depracation.  One of my strong suits.  If you can't openly laugh at yourself or allow others to do so, get the F off the planet.  It also doesn't give you the right to laugh at someone else if you can't laugh at yourself.

Fartknocker.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 08:11:17 am »

DBack am I to understand you are a Duck now ? Oh the shame of it all ! ...............lol  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org