A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:18:45 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savastano's  (Read 32257 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »

It's fun just to drive around downtown once in a while just to see what is going on.

I have actually done that occasionally on a Sat or Sun that I don't have something else to do.  Some day I may even stop to buy something.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »

There definitely needs to be a Chicago-style pizza joint somewhere not in South Tulsa.

You southies have Savastano's, Marley's (71st and Sheridan) and Gusano's (101st and Mingo).

Now that there are three in South Tulsa, can we get one up here?

There was one in the old McDonald's at 11th & Pittsburg, but it didn't make it 6 months.  The food wasn't bad either, I just don't think they knew how to run a restaurant.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »

There was one in the old McDonald's at 11th & Pittsburg, but it didn't make it 6 months.  The food wasn't bad either, I just don't think they knew how to run a restaurant.
I miss that place. I went there a few times with no complaints. Now the only time I eat pizza in Tulsa is when I make it out to a Chicago-style joint in south Tulsa.

Or when I've had enough beer to overlook the crappiness of Papa John's. It's quite an accomplishment to be that drunk before midnight or whatever too-early hour it is that Papa John's closes on weekends.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

There's got to be a spot in the Brady which would work great for Savastano's.  I could easily picture them in a re-purposed brick building.

Next time I do a mass order from Lou Malnati's Chicago style, I'll get an extra for you. You can compare/contrast. I think Savastano's is pretty close.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »

Next time I do a mass order from Lou Malnati's Chicago style, I'll get an extra for you. You can compare/contrast. I think Savastano's is pretty close.

Do you get them shipped frozen?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »

Do you get them shipped frozen?

Yep. And it really is not that expensive. 6 pizzas for $99 includes shipping. And there are other menu items. If you don't know about Malnatis, just check Food Network or Travel Channel because that place has been featured numerous times.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »

Yep. And it really is not that expensive. 6 pizzas for $99 includes shipping. And there are other menu items. If you don't know about Malnatis, just check Food Network or Travel Channel because that place has been featured numerous times.

That's stupid cheap unless they are 4" pizzas.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

That's stupid cheap unless they are 4" pizzas.

I think they are between 9-10" and weigh 24 oz. Big enough to feed me and jr.

tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 08:32:58 am »

Chicago's on 11th st. was excellent pizza! I am sad they didn't last. Last time I had a hankering for Chicago style, I didn't want to go all the way to Bixby and went to Marley's where I was greatly disappointed. It wasn't terrible, but not good enough for me to make a special trip to return. The place on 11th was. And I used to eat at Uno's often before they went away.

Guess I'll have to make the trek next time I want good deep dish.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:07 am »

You guy's keep talking about Chicago style pizza as being so different. I remember a Chicago style Hot Dog place at 73rd and Mingo and was wondering. Is there a Chicago style Dog that is any different from other Dog's ? and I am not sure that place lasted very long either.

Also: I remember a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye sent off for a certain type of Ribs and I think they were from Chicago. What's up with Chicago style food ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 09:08:25 am »

Also: I remember a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye sent off for a certain type of Ribs and I think they were from Chicago. What's up with Chicago style food ?

It was Adam's Ribs on Dearborn.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:58 am »

You guy's keep talking about Chicago style pizza as being so different. I remember a Chicago style Hot Dog place at 73rd and Mingo and was wondering. Is there a Chicago style Dog that is any different from other Dog's ? and I am not sure that place lasted very long either.

I don't recall all the requirements to be a Chicago dog but it's basically like emptying the veggie drawer on your dog.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 10:45:50 am »

I don't recall all the requirements to be a Chicago dog but it's basically like emptying the veggie drawer on your dog.

And never. EVER.  put ketchup on a hotdog.  In Chicago that's considered sacrilege.

Sent from my AT&T Atrix4G using fat fingers

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:19 am »

And never. EVER.  put ketchup on a hotdog.  In Chicago that's considered sacrilege.

It's sacrilege 100% of the time...and nasty.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:46 am »

It's sacrilege 100% of the time...and nasty.

And mayo just looks wrong on a hot dog.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org