A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:30 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savastano's  (Read 32247 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:35 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Regal Plaza 105th & Memorial
Date/Time of Visit: 11-13-11 @ 2pm
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 5
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Excellent one-off pizzeria concept.

Tell us about your experience:  We had set about to find some local BBQ we had not tried.  Failing to find anything in south Tulsa county, we decided on a whim to give Savastano's a try since it had been so highly recommended on TNF.

We walked in through the bar area which was pretty busy with people watching Sunday NFL and did not find an open table.  They explained the restaurant was overhead with additional seating.  We went upstairs and the first thing we noticed was a fresh salad bar and then the piano in the corner with life-size Jake and Elwood figures.  There was only one other couple in the dining area at the time.  One thing you notice right away is the place is kept very clean and the interior actually looks like something you'd expect to see in a chain because it is so well finished out.

We ordered the "Hancock Building" ($18.95) which is their five cheese mix and home-made Italian sausage.  While we waited on the pizza, we took a trip through the salad bar ($4.99 unlimited).  All the ingredients were fresh and top-shelf.  Nothing looked like it had been sitting out all day or that they put any of the dregs from the bottom of the produce box out.  The cottage cheese even stood out as extra creamy.

The pizza arrived after about 20 to 25 minutes which is about what I would expect for a deep dish pizza.  We ordered the small which is about 11-12" and we wound up taking 1/2 of it home with us.  If I had to guess, there must have been 3-4 pounds of cheese on it.  They do not go heavy on the sauce which is something I usually like.  The sausage had great flavor and the crust was well-baked which can be a trick with deep dish style.  Every bite is very heavy on the cheese.  If that's not your thing, you might want to try something else.   I'm not positive, but the mozzarella very well could be made in-house.

We were both really impressed with the service, attention to detail, as well as attention to ingredients.

Overall it was $35.92 including two ice teas.  We left a $7 tip.  Sure $42.00 is a lot to spend for lunch.  But considering the quality ingredients and the fact that the pizza turned into two meals for each of us, I didn't think it was unreasonable.

We will go back.  I usually don't take the time to dine out south any more, but this is one place I'm really sorry I did not try much sooner.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:28:53 pm »

Foil pouch the leftovers and reheat at 375 for 35 minutes.  It won't hold its form but so what?

Good deep dish.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »

Foil pouch the leftovers and reheat at 375 for 35 minutes.  It won't hold its form but so what?

Good deep dish.

Nuked it for five minutes and it still was not heated all the way through

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »

The cheese/sauce ratio is my main complaint with that place. I've thrown out the leftovers before because it's not physically possible to consume that much cheese in a few days.

I always ask for extra sauce and light on the cheese, which they sometimes get right.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Regal Plaza 105th & Memorial
Date/Time of Visit: 11-13-11 @ 2pm
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 5
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Excellent one-off pizzeria concept.

Tell us about your experience:  We had set about to find some local BBQ we had not tried.  Failing to find anything in south Tulsa county, we decided on a whim to give Savastano's a try since it had been so highly recommended on TNF.

We walked in through the bar area which was pretty busy with people watching Sunday NFL and did not find an open table.  They explained the restaurant was overhead with additional seating.  We went upstairs and the first thing we noticed was a fresh salad bar and then the piano in the corner with life-size Jake and Elwood figures.  There was only one other couple in the dining area at the time.  One thing you notice right away is the place is kept very clean and the interior actually looks like something you'd expect to see in a chain because it is so well finished out.

We ordered the "Hancock Building" ($18.95) which is their five cheese mix and home-made Italian sausage.  While we waited on the pizza, we took a trip through the salad bar ($4.99 unlimited).  All the ingredients were fresh and top-shelf.  Nothing looked like it had been sitting out all day or that they put any of the dregs from the bottom of the produce box out.  The cottage cheese even stood out as extra creamy.

The pizza arrived after about 20 to 25 minutes which is about what I would expect for a deep dish pizza.  We ordered the small which is about 11-12" and we wound up taking 1/2 of it home with us.  If I had to guess, there must have been 3-4 pounds of cheese on it.  They do not go heavy on the sauce which is something I usually like.  The sausage had great flavor and the crust was well-baked which can be a trick with deep dish style.  Every bite is very heavy on the cheese.  If that's not your thing, you might want to try something else.   I'm not positive, but the mozzarella very well could be made in-house.

We were both really impressed with the service, attention to detail, as well as attention to ingredients.

Overall it was $35.92 including two ice teas.  We left a $7 tip.  Sure $42.00 is a lot to spend for lunch.  But considering the quality ingredients and the fact that the pizza turned into two meals for each of us, I didn't think it was unreasonable.

We will go back.  I usually don't take the time to dine out south any more, but this is one place I'm really sorry I did not try much sooner.

Last time I went we (myself and three co-workers) had the Sears Tower and it damn near destroyed us.  I'm usually not one for pizza places, but I was in a good mood that day (Friday noon; I had the rest of the day off) and the food was good.  My only gripe (only) was that they only had one style of Marshalls in the cooler (OPP).  But that pizza was top shelf.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »

I have had their pizza once. It was good pizza but my only complaint was the heaviness of the ingredience. We had two large pizzas and both when picked up would lose half of the toppings falling off because of so much weight. I know, what a problem to have huh.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:16 pm »

We enjoy Savastano's semi regularly, and love it.  However, we avoid the Chicago deep dish simply because there is so much there, and it is so heavy, that we end up making ourselves sick on it.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »

Remember that chicago style is knife and fork pizza, not new york hand style.  There pie is killer.  I love it.  I wish they had one at a location that I might ever go to.  (pssst! downtown!)

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:56 am »

I wish they had one at a location that I might ever go to.  (pssst! downtown!)

Agreed! I've been there a couple of times and loved the pizza, but I'm very rarely ever in that part of town.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:53:52 am »

The east side of Memorial south of 101st St is actually in a foreign country, Bixby.  Consider the trip to Savastano's as a mini vacation to an exotic land.  Grin

Actually, I understand the reluctance to drive a long distance for a pizza, beer, whatever.  That's one reason why I am rarely in downtown Tulsa.  It needs to be something special.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:50 am »

That's one reason why I am rarely in downtown Tulsa.  It needs to be something special.

It's fun just to drive around downtown once in a while just to see what is going on.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:20 am »

It's fun just to drive around downtown once in a while just to see what is going on.

There's got to be a spot in the Brady which would work great for Savastano's.  I could easily picture them in a re-purposed brick building.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:23 am »

There definitely needs to be a Chicago-style pizza joint somewhere not in South Tulsa.

You southies have Savastano's, Marley's (71st and Sheridan) and Gusano's (101st and Mingo).

Now that there are three in South Tulsa, can we get one up here?

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:09 am »

The east side of Memorial south of 101st St is actually in a foreign country, Bixby.  Consider the trip to Savastano's as a mini vacation to an exotic land.  Grin

It seemed like and exotic land last time I was there. TU was capping one of their best wins in program history (Notre Dame), and I was the only one even watching the game. Nobody else even noticed. It was surreal.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 11:59:39 am »

There definitely needs to be a Chicago-style pizza joint somewhere not in South Tulsa.

You southies have Savastano's, Marley's (71st and Sheridan) and Gusano's (101st and Mingo).

Now that there are three in South Tulsa, can we get one up here?

We do love our large quantities of melted hunks of herbed cheese on a crust out here in the South.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org