A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:20:23 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burn Co BBQ  (Read 66170 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:54:38 pm »

What's amazing is that every meat they offer is tender and smoky.  So many places will excel at one or two items and the rest are passable.  That is some very very good que.

I truly admire someone who can resist the temptation of making more money over turning out a lower volume of quality product.

Quality is the only way to go, unless you are just in it to sell beer.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »

Quality is the only way to go, unless you are just in it to sell beer.

Or to sell bland BBQ that will do little more than make a turd and a buck.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 03:05:44 pm »

What's amazing is that every meat they offer is tender and smoky.  So many places will excel at one or two items and the rest are passable.  That is some very very good que.
I truly admire someone who can resist the temptation of making more money over turning out a lower volume of quality product.

A restaurant in this town is going to need repeat business.  Sounds like you are already advocating that for them which will probably result in more money longterm.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »

A restaurant in this town is going to need repeat business.  Sounds like you are already advocating that for them which will probably result in more money longterm.

Word of mouth may not be the best advertisement, but it is the most effective.  Witness alone the business Burn Co. has gained from people chatting it up here and I would imagine no one else will even bother with Action Erection or whatever the other "BBQ" place is out south.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »

I believe that Adam currently has a 0% advertising, social media, PR, and graphic design budget.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:42 pm »

Word of mouth may not be the best advertisement, but it is the most effective.  Witness alone the business Burn Co. has gained from people chatting it up here and I would imagine no one else will even bother with Action Erection or whatever the other "BBQ" place is out south.

I would certainly recommend that others try the Action place - why should I be the only one to suffer!!??
My comments elsewhere are just my observations.

Kind of like when someone has a drink of something really bad.  And they say, "Yuck!  Here you try it..."
Just so they can share the misery.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »

I would certainly recommend that others try the Action place - why should I be the only one to suffer!!??
My comments elsewhere are just my observations.

Kind of like when someone has a drink of something really bad.  And they say, "Yuck!  Here you try it..."
Just so they can share the misery.

I try to prevent the spread of ptomaine poisoning myself.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 04:14:10 pm »

I try to prevent the spread of ptomaine poisoning myself.

I don't believe there is a bacterial component involved.  The temperatures all seemed to be reasonable (and being a "certified food manager", I am attuned to that at restaurants).  It's just gross.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

Adam & Robbie & Burnco have a fb acct.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:34 pm »

Best new hole in the wall for 2011! (and I eat healthy).....
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 08:33:02 pm »

Well, we finally made it over there yesterday.  Got ribs.  Long story short - I definitely like Albert G's place a lot!!  Even more now.

Let the sacrilege begin...

Went straight to all ribs, so cannot comment on the beef and pork.  I wish we had gone ahead and tried them, also, to get a balance.  Don't know where or how to start this, but we just didn't appreciate the ribs as much as many commenting here.  They were tender and beautiful with a fantastic looking bark and color throughout.  The complaint is that the rub swamped the flavor of the meat so massively that it was clearly a case of "would you like a little rib with your rub"?  The overall result was not great.

Beans - modified ranch style, which is ok, but not baked beans.  Others in party didn't like the ranch style.

Slaw - cabbage flavor was good, and color excellent, but there was no mayo, mustard, or vinegar flavors to make it into slaw, so was just shredded cabbage.  Needs help, but could have potential.  If it were me, I would put in some of each and then roast a jalapeno pepper, remove seeds, blend and put a tablespoon of that mushy pepper in the rest of the mix.

Grilled potato salad - flavor was interesting, but nowhere near being a potato salad.  Need another name for that.  But the big complaint here was if you are gonna call it potato salad, there should be more than 5 pieces of potato and there should NOT be 20 to 25 pieces of onion.  It IS grilled onion salad with a hint of potato.  (Ratio recommendation - at least 75% potatoes and then onions and whatever else want to put in - celery?.)  Maybe the mix was incomplete...

The biggest puzzle was that for $10.99, I would expect a 'rib dinner'.  There were ribs, 1 side, and a small drink.  For a price in that range, other places put on two sides PLUS texas toast, pickle spear, onion, and a pepper.  (Black Jaxx in Oologah did that with a two meat dinner for $9.99.  And he still makes the best ribs, brisket, pork, ham, and chicken in the area - even edges out Albert G's.  Unfortunately, only doing catering now.  Sad.)

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:39 am »

Well, we finally made it over there yesterday.  Got ribs.  Long story short - I definitely like Albert G's place a lot!!  Even more now.

Let the sacrilege begin...

Went straight to all ribs, so cannot comment on the beef and pork.  I wish we had gone ahead and tried them, also, to get a balance.  Don't know where or how to start this, but we just didn't appreciate the ribs as much as many commenting here.  They were tender and beautiful with a fantastic looking bark and color throughout.  The complaint is that the rub swamped the flavor of the meat so massively that it was clearly a case of "would you like a little rib with your rub"?  The overall result was not great.

Beans - modified ranch style, which is ok, but not baked beans.  Others in party didn't like the ranch style.

Slaw - cabbage flavor was good, and color excellent, but there was no mayo, mustard, or vinegar flavors to make it into slaw, so was just shredded cabbage.  Needs help, but could have potential.  If it were me, I would put in some of each and then roast a jalapeno pepper, remove seeds, blend and put a tablespoon of that mushy pepper in the rest of the mix.

Grilled potato salad - flavor was interesting, but nowhere near being a potato salad.  Need another name for that.  But the big complaint here was if you are gonna call it potato salad, there should be more than 5 pieces of potato and there should NOT be 20 to 25 pieces of onion.  It IS grilled onion salad with a hint of potato.  (Ratio recommendation - at least 75% potatoes and then onions and whatever else want to put in - celery?.)  Maybe the mix was incomplete...

The biggest puzzle was that for $10.99, I would expect a 'rib dinner'.  There were ribs, 1 side, and a small drink.  For a price in that range, other places put on two sides PLUS texas toast, pickle spear, onion, and a pepper.  (Black Jaxx in Oologah did that with a two meat dinner for $9.99.  And he still makes the best ribs, brisket, pork, ham, and chicken in the area - even edges out Albert G's.  Unfortunately, only doing catering now.  Sad.)

Make sure that you let them know about your experience.  I too like Albert G's, but I like Burn more because it's closer to the bold flavors I'm accustom to.  I'm glad to see that not everyone on this forum shares the same taste in Q.  Of course, I think you should go back and try the other meats, so that your review can cover all aspects.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

Make sure that you let them know about your experience.  I too like Albert G's, but I like Burn more because it's closer to the bold flavors I'm accustom to.  I'm glad to see that not everyone on this forum shares the same taste in Q.  Of course, I think you should go back and try the other meats, so that your review can cover all aspects.

Absolutely.  And I have been kicking myself that I didn't go ahead and do that when was there.  I guess I was in "eating lunch" mode rather than experimenting new food mode.  Big mistake.

I liked the flavor of the rub, it was just buried the taste of the rib too much.  And everything else about it looked great - very good visuals.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 10:37:36 am »

http://thislandpress.com/12/16/2011/charles-smith-at-burn-co-bbq/

Washington-based winemaker Charles Smith and local wine distributor Scott Large take us to Burn Co. BBQ, where they unapologetically indulge in the hedonistic, meaty masterpiece that’s known only as “The Fatty.”

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

Very nice.  Not sure I like the slow-motion eating sequence though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org