A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Hartford Building for TU/OU Medical School  (Read 50927 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:07 am »

Nope.

The cost for acquiring and redeveloping the building became prohibitive as the facility requirements became more detailed, according to the statement.

The redevelopment agreement between TU and the Tulsa Development Authority was terminated Thursday morning at a meeting of the authority.

Now what'd the TDA do?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 12:06:42 pm »

Nope.

crap...smile.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 12:36:08 pm »

Now what'd the TDA do?

They probably explained the building codes to TU

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »

They probably explained the building codes to TU

Yes, the TDA is very knowledgeable about building codes.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 12:48:39 pm »

Yes, the TDA is very knowledgeable about building codes.

The cost for acquiring and redeveloping the building became prohibitive as the facility requirements became more detailed, according to the statement.

Building codes for "redeveloping the building" are likely to be a consideration no matter who explained them.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 12:51:30 pm »

Building codes for "redeveloping the building" are likely to be a consideration no matter who explained them.

Pssst..."acquiring"
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 12:53:28 pm »

What I was curious about was the comparative amount of city and state dollars each city gets/puts in for higher education.  For a long time it appeared to me that A. Tulsa wasn't allowed to have a publicly funded, graduate university in the city.  B. To make up for a lot of it, (while continuing to fund universities in other cities), we also had to dip back into our pockets again to fund TCC and the Vo-Tech system so we could have at least something here.  Hence rather than having a large state funded university, we have one of the largest Jr Colleges in this region of the country.  And now we have the scattered graduate universities that still aren't really, "real" campuses offering a broad range of programs and with housing and such.  

Do the people of OKC spend as much of their tax dollars on higher ed?  And whether yes or no, where does that money go?

Yeah, I know this is old, but still had some thoughts...

A.  You are right, we weren't allowed that.  TU didn't want the competition.  

B.  And it took stupid time to get TCC going around here.  They didn't open that until fall of 1970!!  50 years or more past time when Tulsa should have had public secondary education.

Now we got OSU, and while it would be nice if it were more like the campus in Stillwater, it is still pretty darn good!  And yes, Tulsa should have a full campus public university.  And not Northeastern State....they are good at what they have, but are not a full university.

TCC and the Vo-Tech system are really exceptional in north east Oklahoma.  I went to TJC (predecessor) and have taught there in the past - it is a very good system for the target audience...possibly even great for that target audience!  And the classes I have taken at Vo-Tech have done exactly what I feel a vo-tech program is supposed to do - give specialized, focused training to provide the necessary skills for a particular job or career path.  One of the best ways around to get a quick introduction through advanced training in a wide variety of skills.  Ever thought you might want to paint cars?  There's and "app" for that.  Welding?  There's an app for that.  Computer programming?  Yep, there's one for that, too.  Truck driver?  Well, you have to go to Drumright, but GOOD training at very reasonable...no....cheap prices is available on a huge number of topics!

Any and all higher education we get, no matter where it is in the area is a good thing!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:55:15 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »

Pssst..."acquiring"

Pssst... right back.  "Acquiring" can be significant but retrofitting to current standards isn't going to be inexpensive.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »

Pssst... right back.  "Acquiring" can be significant but retrofitting to current standards isn't going to be inexpensive.

And so we go back to the TDA.  What, of the two, do you think the TDA would have more of a chance of screwing up?  Acquisition or building codes?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »

And so we go back to the TDA.  What, of the two, do you think the TDA would have more of a chance of screwing up?  Acquisition or building codes?

The redevelopment agreement between TU and the Tulsa Development Authority was terminated Thursday morning at a meeting of the authority.

Now what'd the TDA do?

If you can assume that the termination of the agreement is the exclusive fault of the TDA, I can assume they know something about what would need to be included in a redevelopment.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:25 pm »

I can assume they know something about what would need to be included in a redevelopment.

Sure, you could assume.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »

Sure, you could assume.

Unless you have inside information, that's exactly what you did.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2013, 02:46:04 pm »

Unless you have inside information, that's exactly what you did.

Again, you assume.

Stalk me some more.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:27 pm »

Again, you assume.

Stalk me some more.

Are you a member of the TDA?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »

Are you a member of the TDA?

I'm not.

http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority.org/people.html

1st row: Paula Bryant-Ellis, Vice Chairman, Julius Pegues, Chairman, Jane Malone, Administration

2nd row: Jot Hartley, General Counsel, Carl Bracy, John Clayman, Roy Peters, O.C. Walker, Executive Director
TDA Board of Commisioners

Julius Pegues, Chairman
Paula Bryant-Ellis, Vice Chairman
Carl Bracy
John D. Clayman
Roy Peters

Jot Hartley, General Counsel
O.C. Walker, Executive Director

Now, point out the ones you could assume know what it takes for this building to be redeveloped as opposed to a possibility of issues with acquisition.  My first point before you started a badger fight.

Have you ever noticed the issues with acquisition with the TDA? 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org