A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:42:27 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Hartford Building for TU/OU Medical School  (Read 50933 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »

Chuck Tollefsen is the principal.  I've met with him a couple times on various projects.  Does not strike me as the kind of guy that could pull of a 10.5 story tower.

Attention er um, *cough* hound?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:59 pm »

Huh

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »

Huh

I was trying to be polite without referring to him as an attention-grabbing "lady of the evening".  Cool

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 08:21:20 pm »

What?  105 stories?  I'm in stillwater and I can small that pile of **** from here.  A long time ago I adopted an "I'll beleive it when I see bulldozers" attitude about developemtns like this.  This I adjusted it to an "I'll believe it when I see cranes"  attitude.  This double applies for anything in the east end.  I just don't see anything happeneing there for awhile.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »

105? Wow.

How about going with 70 or 80. Just enough to put it 100 feet higher than Devon's OKC building?

105 is cool as hell but with so much empty space downtown, it just doesn't seem realistic... at all.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

There is not that much class A space available downtown, although that number will rise when the tower at One Place pulls in some occupants from other buildings.  Currently a tenant looking for a large amount of continguous space downtown has only a few options.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 02:49:28 pm »

Sister buildings?

Ryugyong Hotel

a 105-story skyscraper under construction in Pyongyang, North Korea. Its name ("capital of willows") is also one of the historic names for Pyongyang.  The building is also known as the 105 Building, a reference to its number of floors.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »

If it were true mixed use you might could pull it off.  Some housing in it, part hotel, part office, some retail on the ground floor, bout 20 stories worth of decorative spire lol. But if I had to choose, I would prefer 15 or so 6 story, mixed use buildings of different styles spread all around downtown, over one super tall one.  Now that would flesh out our downtown and create something wonderful.  Wouldn't be just something to oooh at from afar, but a downtown that you could really sink your heart into at the ground level and really love.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »

105? Wow.

How about going with 70 or 80. Just enough to put it 100 feet higher than Devon's OKC building?

105 is cool as hell but with so much empty space downtown, it just doesn't seem realistic... at all.

The above poster is correct WD.  Class A office space downtown is more than 90% occupied.  Cimarex wanted more space and will have to build... which will free up ~10 floors of space while adding to inventory.  But so long as ONG, BOK, Williams, and a ton of other offices keep adding to the downtown workforce it wil be obsorbed quickly.  more and more companies are adding downtown offices - large (northwest mutual) and small (Farmers corporate counsel). Remember that space that is not "nice office space in move in condition" doesn't count for occupancy.

Not that we have a need for 105 stories of new office space without some new super tenant.  If you made it mixed use and had the concept of basically building your own city you might be able to pull it off.  But that would be on the developer to work with the city anda  TON of entreprenuers to see that come together

While cool, I'd rather see a continuation of construction on 4, 6, and 15 story buildings that we are seeing.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »

But TU doesn't have any money.....

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:17 pm »

Many buildings of this height are hideously ugly, I beg that this does not happen. If there really is a need for that much space then I would much prefer one tower about 50' taller than Devon and two smaller 10-15 story buildings.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:16:28 pm by ZYX » Logged
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

any buildings of this height are hideously ugly, I beg that this does not happen.

Case in point, the giant korean christmas ornament seen on this thread.  I don't know if this is worth talking about.

BTW, Did you know that the OneOK building was suposed to be 80 stories tall?  the oil bust happened and it stands as it does today.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »

Ok, So I just looked at the minutes from that meeting.  I'm far more interested in items 5 and 6, the ones concerning OSU-tulsa and Langston-Tulsa.  Ideas anyone?  PLease bring me good news!

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 07:25:19 am »

Case in point, the giant korean christmas ornament seen on this thread.  I don't know if this is worth talking about.

BTW, Did you know that the OneOK building was suposed to be 80 stories tall?  the oil bust happened and it stands as it does today.

Yep, my mom worked for Cities Service at the time (it was going to be their new building before it became the OneOK building).  Was sad watching in the papers as the building slowly shrunk every couple months or so once the oil bust hit.  Also, did you know that at about the same time the Cities Service building was starting there was a proposal for an even taller building downtown.  I remember the front page article had a rendering of what downtown would look like with all the new buildings that were being built and were proposed.  Looked spectacular.  The Cities Service building towered over the BOK, then that other building towered over that.  Looked as if its sharp spire could easily have reached 100-120stories tall.  The articles title said something like "Tulsa, The Emerald City".  I believe it was a Sunday paper and I think it might have been in the Tulsa Tribune.  Would love to see that image and the article again.   Talk about sucky timing.  Tulsa's skyline could have been jawdropping if the oil bust had just held off a few years.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 07:38:27 am »

Yep, my mom worked for Cities Service at the time (it was going to be their new building before it became the OneOK building).  Was sad watching in the papers as the building slowly shrunk every couple months or so once the oil bust hit.  Also, did you know that at about the same time the Cities Service building was starting there was a proposal for an even taller building downtown.  I remember the front page article had a rendering of what downtown would look like with all the new buildings that were being built and were proposed.  Looked spectacular.  The Cities Service building towered over the BOK, then that other building towered over that.  Looked as if its sharp spire could easily have reached 100-120stories tall.  The articles title said something like "Tulsa, The Emerald City".  I believe it was a Sunday paper and I think it might have been in the Tulsa Tribune.  Would love to see that image and the article again.   Talk about sucky timing.  Tulsa's skyline could have been jawdropping if the oil bust had just held off a few years.

The same thing happened to the building diagonally across the intersection to the pythian building, but in 1929 durring another economic crisis.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org