A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:01 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Thursday Morning Keynesianism Break  (Read 5516 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:47 am »

http://www.areadevelopment.com/Aerospace/November2011/north-american-aerospace-industry-report-66624322.shtml

According to the Aerospace Industries Association of America (AIA), aerospace sales reached a new high of $212.7 billion in 2010, continuing an upward trend that began several years ago.

“While the overall growth rate has slowed in recent years due to global economic turmoil, U.S. aerospace sales have sustained remarkable growth since 2003,” wrote William A. Chadwick, Jr., director of the AIA’s Aerospace Research Center and lead author for its 2011 Industry Report. “Final numbers for the year also reflect the resiliency of the industry. Reversing a two-year decline, the aerospace industry booked $202.5 billion in orders in 2010, a 23.8 percent increase over 2009.”

Much of this growth was supported by federal R&D funding, reflecting the heavy demands from military operations around the world.

Aerospace is one of the most important sectors in the American economy for the jobs it supports (almost 1.2 million nationally), its contribution to the national GDP, and its importance in establishing America’s reputation as a leader in science and technology.

“Innovation is at the heart of the aerospace industry,” added Chadwick. “The United States continues to lead the world in absolute R&D spending, and within the United States, R&D is expected to grow by 2.4 percent in 2011 to $405.3 billion.”

Just wanted to point out that government can in fact create jobs.  It can actually sustain whole industries. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

http://www.areadevelopment.com/Aerospace/November2011/north-american-aerospace-industry-report-66624322.shtml

Just wanted to point out that government can in fact create jobs.  It can actually sustain whole industries. 

Everybody knows that, too!  We saw huge example of that with the heavy dependence on "Star Wars" during the Reagan years.  It's just that NOW, since they don't occupy the White House, it's bad.  But when/if they get back in, it will be good again.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:04 am »

Ultimately, the money to sustain those industries and jobs comes from the private sector unless the government just prints more money.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:32:40 pm »

unless the government just prints more money
Which is precisely the central bank should do in a deflationary environment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:35:53 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »

Which is precisely the central bank should do in a deflationary environment.

QE3 is being slowly rolled out....

print more $$$$
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:45:46 pm »

But the sweet irony for a liberal follower of Keynes like yourself is a fair amount of that is military spending.

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:16 pm »

I'm not a morning person.  Can the Napalm be delayed to early afternoon?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:55:05 pm »

Morning works for me!

Yum!  Napalm!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »

But the sweet irony for a liberal follower of Keynes like yourself is a fair amount of that is military spending.

Piffle.  As Keynes said, burying jars of money in the ground and then paying people to go dig them up is as useful as anything in a major downturn.  It's all about getting someone paid for doing something . . . or anything at all.  So by all means let's build more drones!  So long as more hiring commences, toot suite. 

And BTW, I chose the military angle because I knew that was something you righties could get behind and chose Keynes because he's so universally reviled.  I was going for maximum head-asplosion. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »

Piffle.  As Keynes said, burying jars of money in the ground and then paying people to go dig them up is as useful as anything in a major downturn.  It's all about getting someone paid for doing something . . . or anything at all.  So by all means let's build more drones!  So long as more hiring commences, toot suite. 

And BTW, I chose the military angle because I knew that was something you righties could get behind and chose Keynes because he's so universally reviled.  I was going for maximum head-asplosion. 

Meh, Keynes is dead.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »

Good work, wevsus!!   Love it!

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:34 am »

Conan, I found the source....sooprise, a right wingnut may have invented the term: http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2011/11/ineptocracy-a-definition.html
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:39 am »

Conan, I found the source....sooprise, a right wingnut may have invented the term: http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2011/11/ineptocracy-a-definition.html

Well, we have certainly had 30 years of that kind of crap!!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:20 am »

May not be your piece of work, but it's still post of the week worthy.  I sent that one to everyone I know.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

File under "government interfering with the free market:"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/colo-okla-pa-wyo-push-natural-gas-cars-14915800#.TrvyiPQr2so

Colo., Okla., Pa., Wyo. Push for Natural-Gas Cars
By CATHERINE TSAI Associated Press

The governors of Colorado, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Wyoming are teaming up to encourage U.S. automakers to develop affordable vehicles that run on natural gas, a valuable resource in each of their states.

Their plan is to start replacing thousands of vehicles in their state fleets with ones that run on natural gas, in turn driving demand for more filling stations and cars that run on alternative fuel, according to a memorandum of understanding the governors signed Wednesday.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper touted the idea as a market-driven way to build demand for natural gas-driven school buses, pickup trucks and vans while also supporting jobs, reducing U.S. reliance on foreign oil, cutting emissions, and providing fuel that is the equivalent of $1.25 per gallon cheaper than gasoline.

I can't believe our solidly conservative governor would throw so much energy so publicly into distorting the market like that. Who taught her her economics, Krugman?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org