A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:45 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy John's downtown  (Read 156317 times)
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2013, 10:54:06 am »

I like the bread. I like that many of their locations are open until 3 or 4am late in larger cities and college towns. When you're traveling, the options for something fast that's not a soaked in grease at that hour are slim.

I really like the speed. Subway can make you want to stab someone when you get behind the guy who's never eaten a sandwich in his life and has to ask 50 questions every step of the way about every single option available.

Side note on Bill and Ruth's: the way they package your sandwich in a styrofoam clamshell is very offputting. It's a sandwich. A little bit of paper is all it needs.

tulsacyclist
Civic Leader

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:41 pm »

Not that much different from Subway.  Very edible, just not exceptional.

The bread isn't much different than Subway? It is completely different. Your tastebuds may be broken.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:25 pm »

There is a Bill & Ruths right by my work. And trust me. There "aint" no. Bill or Ruth that owns or works there.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »

The bread isn't much different than Subway? It is completely different. Your tastebuds may be broken.

Not the bread...yeah, it's different.  The overall sandwich experience is on a par with Subway.  Both about equally satisfying....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »

There is a Bill & Ruths right by my work. And trust me. There "aint" no. Bill or Ruth that owns or works there.

Bill and Ruth parted ways with Big Al back in pre-history, then they got out long, long ago....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

Not that much different from Subway.  Very edible, just not exceptional.

Except for the fact all of the bread is baked daily, the produce is sliced daily and the meat are sliced daily...and the fact an average delivery takes 8-10 minutes to arrive and a sandwich will get to you before you get your change a good amount of the time. Totally different concepts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:01:56 pm by davideinstein » Logged
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »

It's like comparing sandwiches to sammiches.
completely different.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2013, 08:35:34 am »

Subway continues to provide some of the slowest and worst customer service every time I go.

That being said, every time I want into a bill and Ruth's I feel like I dropped $8 in a giant slot machine. May be good, but likely I just lost $8.

By and large Jimmy Johns is the same, and no-one can beat their delivery speed and cost.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »

Subway continues to provide some of the slowest and worst customer service every time I go.

That being said, every time I want into a bill and Ruth's I feel like I dropped $8 in a giant slot machine. May be good, but likely I just lost $8.

By and large Jimmy Johns is the same, and no-one can beat their delivery speed and cost.

Maybe you're not going to the right Bill & Ruth's.  Roll Eyes
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »

Maybe you're not going to the right Bill & Ruth's.  Roll Eyes

If you're near 91st and Sheridan, try Jay's Original Hoagies.  He's in the group of stores on the NW side where Siegi's used to be.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »

I used to frequent Jimmy Johns when I lived in Dallas and I really enjoyed it.  I'm hearing lots of bad things about the new ones in Tulsa though.  I'm not sure why.  I might check it out.  But I live right next to a Bill and Ruth's and they are better than even the JJs I remember in Dallas and similar in price, so not much incentive to go to JJs.  I'm just somewhat curious why I'm hearing bad things about it. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »

I used to frequent Jimmy Johns when I lived in Dallas and I really enjoyed it.  I'm hearing lots of bad things about the new ones in Tulsa though.  I'm not sure why.  I might check it out.  But I live right next to a Bill and Ruth's and they are better than even the JJs I remember in Dallas and similar in price, so not much incentive to go to JJs.  I'm just somewhat curious why I'm hearing bad things about it.  

'Cause they are kind of mediocre around here.  One of the grandkids works at one in St. Louis area and it is pretty good place (noticeably better than Subway), but the one in BA and the one in Norman are just another sub shop.... Yeah, you ought to try it, though, just to see - everyone's tastes are different.  And I know mine are greatly jaded by how many times a week I eat at restaurants....

Jersey Mike's in Norman is pretty good, if you want to take a little drive or are ever over there for any reason.  I would like to see if they would translate well to Tulsa.

But then, there is always Top That pizza!!  If they could just get the drinks right!

Oh yeah - found a barbeque in Norman a couple weeks ago that I have been meaning to mention.  Ray's - down on Lindsey, about a mile or so east of I-35!  Very good!!  Right there with Albert G's, I think!  Went once and was very pleasantly surprised, so went again 3 days later!  Yum!!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:19:05 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

davideinstein
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »

I used to frequent Jimmy Johns when I lived in Dallas and I really enjoyed it.  I'm hearing lots of bad things about the new ones in Tulsa though.  I'm not sure why.  I might check it out.  But I live right next to a Bill and Ruth's and they are better than even the JJs I remember in Dallas and similar in price, so not much incentive to go to JJs.  I'm just somewhat curious why I'm hearing bad things about it. 

What are you hearing? And what location?
davideinstein
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »

'Cause they are kind of mediocre around here.  One of the grandkids works at one in St. Louis area and it is pretty good place (noticeably better than Subway), but the one in BA and the one in Norman are just another sub shop.... Yeah, you ought to try it, though, just to see - everyone's tastes are different.  And I know mine are greatly jaded by how many times a week I eat at restaurants....

Jersey Mike's in Norman is pretty good, if you want to take a little drive or are ever over there for any reason.  I would like to see if they would translate well to Tulsa.

But then, there is always Top That pizza!!  If they could just get the drinks right!

Oh yeah - found a barbeque in Norman a couple weeks ago that I have been meaning to mention.  Ray's - down on Lindsey, about a mile or so east of I-35!  Very good!!  Right there with Albert G's, I think!  Went once and was very pleasantly surprised, so went again 3 days later!  Yum!!

The ones in St. Louis are the same exact product. Every single store serves the same sandwich. It's not possible for Norman and Tulsa to be bad, but for St. Louis to be good product wise. There may be a customer service difference, but not a product one.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2013, 03:19:19 pm »

What are you hearing? And what location?

Broken Arrow.  

Fair to middlin'.  It is edible, and I can stand to eat there from time to time (and have in the past), but if it were a choice between them and Subway - flip a coin....nothing there to differentiate the two....they are both just ok.  Which one is closer and which one have I not been to last.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org