A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:12:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy John's downtown  (Read 156380 times)
davideinstein
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »

It would please me if the sprouts would come back.

They will be back in a couple of weeks.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03:28 pm »

They will be back in a couple of weeks.

Excellent news!  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2012, 08:38:15 am »

I'll give ya two regulations right off that I am working on with my gift shop downtown.  1.  I am told I have to have two water fountains, a "high-low".  Water cooler or bottled water won't work.  Thats over a thousand dollars out of my pocket to have it bought and installed.  Could have cost much more but I found a place to put it where it wouldn't cost too much but could still be public and ADA accessible.  Basically, when you walk into the store, the first thing you see, isn't something wonderful and fancy but... an ugly water fountain lol.  Oh, well.  2.  Have to have a mop sink.  Never mind that I don't have a mop, still have to have the mop sink.  It can't be one of the ones on legs but has to be on/in the ground.  So bring out the jackhammers and tearing out sheetrock etc. to lay the water pipes, venting, etc. Could be another $1,500 or so  Am working on this second issue right now trying to get it taken care of so that I can open the gift shop in time for the other Deco District shops grand openings.  May have to cut off the second bathroom and turn it into a "mop closet".  Anyway, these and others have cost a pretty dime for me trying to start and open a small business.  Just those two things with labor and parts and permits and inspections could cost around $3,000 (not to mention all the time it's taken me to mess with these issues).  That's $3000 I now don't have to purchase products to sell in order to make money (which is the point of the exercise lol).  What's frustrating too is that I hear from many of the contractors over and over the refrain "We don't have to mess with this or that in Bixby or Jenks", etc.  Tulsa has adopted these added rules which make it more expensive, for the little guy especially, to start a new business.     

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

I'll give ya two regulations right off that I am working on with my gift shop downtown.  1.  I am told I have to have two water fountains, a "high-low".  Water cooler or bottled water won't work.  Thats over a thousand dollars out of my pocket to have it bought and installed.  Could have cost much more but I found a place to put it where it wouldn't cost too much but could still be public and ADA accessible.  Basically, when you walk into the store, the first thing you see, isn't something wonderful and fancy but... an ugly water fountain lol.  Oh, well.  2.  Have to have a mop sink.  Never mind that I don't have a mop, still have to have the mop sink.  It can't be one of the ones on legs but has to be on/in the ground.  So bring out the jackhammers and tearing out sheetrock etc. to lay the water pipes, venting, etc. Could be another $1,500 or so  Am working on this second issue right now trying to get it taken care of so that I can open the gift shop in time for the other Deco District shops grand openings.  May have to cut off the second bathroom and turn it into a "mop closet".  Anyway, these and others have cost a pretty dime for me trying to start and open a small business.  Just those two things with labor and parts and permits and inspections could cost around $3,000 (not to mention all the time it's taken me to mess with these issues).  That's $3000 I now don't have to purchase products to sell in order to make money (which is the point of the exercise lol).  What's frustrating too is that I hear from many of the contractors over and over the refrain "We don't have to mess with this or that in Bixby or Jenks", etc.  Tulsa has adopted these added rules which make it more expensive, for the little guy especially, to start a new business.     

All those rules and regulations are what make Tulsa such a much better place than Bixby, Jenks, etc. to shop and do business.  Cheesy

Actually, I expect Bixby, Jenks, etc to have some weird regulations of their own making.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

We now know a place to get a quick in and out drink of cold water.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:25 pm »

We now know a place to get a quick in and out drink of cold water.

And pee
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »

And pee

I thought you stopped using fountains for that.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »

I'll give you an example as well, my in laws owned an extremely successful construction business that did mostly government work.  They had done work for Tulsa for years.  In the last couple of years a new requirement was put in for those that bid, you had to utilize Minority Owned subs or you wouldn't be considered to bid.  It didn't matter that he didn't use subs at all, or that his company was full of minorities . . . if he didn't give part of his bid to a minority owned sub, he would not win the bid.  He didn't appreciate the city telling him how to do his work, so guess what?  He liqudated and left others to deal with it.  He was successful enough that he had that option.  But they are spending less money in the economy, as are many of their employees who likely aren't making as much $$ elsewhere. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

Government regulations also level the playing field by discouraging collusion, price fixing and gouging. Regulations ensure that the "ham" you are advertising in your Sandwich actually has some "ham" in it.

And yet, I've never found any ham in my hamburger.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »

I'll give you an example as well, my in laws owned an extremely successful construction business that did mostly government work.  They had done work for Tulsa for years.  In the last couple of years a new requirement was put in for those that bid, you had to utilize Minority Owned subs or you wouldn't be considered to bid.  It didn't matter that he didn't use subs at all, or that his company was full of minorities . . . if he didn't give part of his bid to a minority owned sub, he would not win the bid.  He didn't appreciate the city telling him how to do his work, so guess what?  He liqudated and left others to deal with it.  He was successful enough that he had that option.  But they are spending less money in the economy, as are many of their employees who likely aren't making as much $$ elsewhere. 

Of course, you realize to the liberal mind-set your in-laws were simply being greedy and racist by electing not to utilize minority subs and simply liquidating, right?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »

Of course, you realize to the liberal mind-set your in-laws were simply being greedy and racist by electing not to utilize minority subs and simply liquidating, right?

That is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. 

Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2012, 10:43:01 am »

That is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. 

Grin

TU graduate, all right!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »

I like sandwiches
davideinstein
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:47 pm »

There will be a downtown store soon. I should have specifics sometime next week.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »

I like sandwiches downtown

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org