A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:49:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy John's downtown  (Read 156383 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »

We won't know until corporate comes to town and we go over that. In my personal opinion, it should be 10AM-8PM Monday through Saturday...and closed on Sunday. You can't finacially justify a 3AM store at this particular location, but we think there will be room for two Jimmy John's in downtown. One at this location and a 3AM store in the future in an area with a lot of night life (Brady, Blue Dome, etc). Our Yale and Kenosha (Broken Arrow) stores do well with a daytime population of around 8K, and downtown has a day time population of 27K. So it's very much in the realm of possibility for this store to be based around the businesses and another the growing entertainment districts.

Just for the sake of discussion, what do you guys think the hours should be?

I think you ought to at least stay open for The Ted, even if no one else comes in at 3am Wink

(No offense Ted, just lobbying on your behalf)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »

I'd be OK with 10-8 Mon-Sat.

Realistically, I just want better hours than the current sandwich places downtown. Adding another place that's not open more than Subway doesn't really advance the ball for downtown much.

My main concern is please, please don't cut back on hours after three weeks. That Brookside location gave 3am a try for about that long and cut back to 10pm. A couple of slow nights leads business owners in this town to cut back hours. But how will hours ever expand? There's no measurement of people who would've visited had the business been open.

That new popcorn place downtown is the worst example. Open 20 hours a week. Open a total of 8 hours in this current two-week stretch. I've seen kids trying to drag their parents into the store, but it's closed. How will that guy ever know that people want to visit his store after 3pm? And how many people would've visited on the holiday parade night had they been open?

davideinstein
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

I'd be OK with 10-8 Mon-Sat.

Realistically, I just want better hours than the current sandwich places downtown. Adding another place that's not open more than Subway doesn't really advance the ball for downtown much.

My main concern is please, please don't cut back on hours after three weeks. That Brookside location gave 3am a try for about that long and cut back to 10pm. A couple of slow nights leads business owners in this town to cut back hours. But how will hours ever expand? There's no measurement of people who would've visited had the business been open.

That new popcorn place downtown is the worst example. Open 20 hours a week. Open a total of 8 hours in this current two-week stretch. I've seen kids trying to drag their parents into the store, but it's closed. How will that guy ever know that people want to visit his store after 3pm? And how many people would've visited on the holiday parade night had they been open?

We are not involved with Brookside at all. I think that's a 3AM store no question but we currently have no ability to change what Devin does with his store over there. If we built one by TU that would be a 3AM store, but that's not in the immediate plans. I think anything near a decent nightlife/college should be a 3AM store.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »

10-8 sounds like good hours.

I have been keeping track of the number of people that come in our shop each day (and the museum) and it's really interesting how regular the numbers are per the day and how different one day can be from the next.  For instance at the shop on Wednesdays we get between 80 and 85 people in.  May be 82 people one Wednesday, 85 the next, 80 the next and so on.    Then Saturdays we do between 110-120.  What I find really odd is that on Thursdays we get around 20-25 people in.  Even just looking around downtown on a Wednesday vrs a Thursday the pedestrian/parked cars/street traffic (all up and down Boston Ave anyway) is considerably different.  Why is that I wonder?  Is it really the $2 puffy tacos and $2 gelato's lol?   Sun-Tues the few times we have been open it's dead, dead, dead.  For instance one Monday I think we had 12 people in the entire day. Fridays are a little better than Wednesdays but not as good as Saturdays and seem to have the most variation in the number of people.  But again, it's fascinating that each day there is less than a 5-10 person variation on the number of people you will get in.    

It will be interesting to see how different things are after the holiday shopping season for us.  Speaking to the other shops and restaurants in our area they say that during the winter months things really die down, (we will probably be closed on Thursdays  Jan-Mar, which will allow me to do a little more with my "day job") but then pick up in the spring and during the summer months.  Also, hopefully we will get better traffic over all once we get some decent signage up, some colorful planters out front etc., do some advertising and flesh out our product lines and what we are known for having.  

Also, hour wise for shopping we usually get zilch to 4 or 5 people in before noon, both work days and Saturday.  Between 12 and 2 is when we get most of our "day traffic".  We get a few people here and there between 2-4.  Then between 5-6:30 it's dead as a doornail. Right at about 6:30 on through 7:30 we get the second rush of the day.  By 8 it's dead again.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:58:18 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2012, 01:02:15 pm »

We are not involved with Brookside at all. I think that's a 3AM store no question but we currently have no ability to change what Devin does with his store over there. If we built one by TU that would be a 3AM store, but that's not in the immediate plans. I think anything near a decent nightlife/college should be a 3AM store.
I really appreciate you coming on here and listening to us peons.

The thing that I don't get is when places have the same closing time 7 days a week. From my extremely uneducated perspective, wouldn't that Brookside location get the same amount of traffic from 10pm-midnight on a Friday/Saturday as they would from 8pm-10pm on a Sunday or Monday?

The amount of people out and about at certain times of the evening varies wildly from early in the week to the weekend, so it only seems natural that places should be open a little later to account for that.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

How soon can I buy a sandwich from the downtown location?

I am hungry now.

Power is nothing till you use it.
davideinstein
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »

How soon can I buy a sandwich from the downtown location?

I am hungry now.

April.

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17:16 pm »

This is Tulsa, don't you know everything needs to close by at least 8, maybe 9pm if your lucky and also be closed on Sunday, maybe Monday's too and all Holiday's including Public Sleeping Day, World Sauntering Day, Wiggle Your Toes Day, Punk For a Day Day and others?
davideinstein
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »

This is Tulsa, don't you know everything needs to close by at least 8, maybe 9pm if your lucky and also be closed on Sunday, maybe Monday's too and all Holiday's including Public Sleeping Day, World Sauntering Day, Wiggle Your Toes Day, Punk For a Day Day and others?

Bring the money and we'll stay open until 4am. Until then...
davideinstein
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

Construction will start in the next week or two after being delayed because we are doing the new store design.

91st and Yale will open around the same time (July-ish).
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2013, 05:25:59 am »

Construction will start in the next week or two after being delayed because we are doing the new store design.

91st and Yale will open around the same time (July-ish).

... in July
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2013, 07:20:52 am »

We tried a Jimmy John's in Arkansas awhile back and were thoroughly unimpressed. If I want a sandwich, I'll take my 15th & Lewis Bill & Ruth's thankyouverymuch...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2013, 07:46:14 am »

We tried a Jimmy John's in Arkansas awhile back and were thoroughly unimpressed. If I want a sandwich, I'll take my 15th & Lewis Bill & Ruth's thankyouverymuch...

Big Al's, 15th and Harvard!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2013, 08:13:05 am »

MC and I really like the bread at Jimmy Johns, that's what stands out to us anyhow.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:44 am »

Not that much different from Subway.  Very edible, just not exceptional.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org