A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:03:15 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicory & Chives Cafe  (Read 7495 times)
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« on: May 14, 2011, 11:49:12 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:5800 South Lewis Avenue Suite 129
Date/Time of Visit:May 13 2011 4:30PM
Quality of Food (1-5):5
Menu/Food Options (1-5):4
Quality of Service (1-5):5
Atmosphere (1-5):5
Overall Rating (1-5):4
Price ($-$$$$$):$$$
What makes this restaurant unique:
The first restaurant that I have been to where the owner comes out and talks to the customers before they eat to see how they are doing and again after they ate to see how they enjoyed their meals.

Tell us about your experience:
 I enjoyed it. The blacken catfish was cooked perfect and I enjoyed their beans ad rice,Jambalaya, and gumbo. There was some kind of fried chicken bites appetizer(I forget what it is called) that was cooked perfectly and had just enough season on it to give it a flavorful kick but not overbearing.

If I had any complaints it would be the fries. They are not crispy.Par frying them for a few minutes,letting them cool down and then frying them until golden brown would help make them crispy.Sometimes even doing a little par boiling before the par frying helps too.

http://chicoryandchives.com/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:10:04 pm by jamesrage » Logged

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:33 am »

I've been eating here for years, since they used to be over on the west side, and appreciate the variety of cajun and comfort food.  They have oysters and alligator bites as well, and the breakfasts (Cajun Skillet) are a great way to start out a Saturday (or any other morning).  Jim, the owner, believes in customer service, and it shows in all his wait staff.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:57:56 am »

They posted on Facebook today that they will no longer be open. Didn't mention anything about the Cranky Cajun Bar.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:55 am »

Ella's Good Food has shut down as well.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »

That's too bad.  Looks like the moves for both of those places didn't turn out well.  I'm not aware of anything which has lasted in the Ella's spot for more than a year or two.  Anyone else think of one?  Seems like a slam-dunk with the location, but it just doesn't seem to work.  Ella's had great food, I don't think enough people knew about it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OSU
Activist

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »

That's too bad.  Looks like the moves for both of those places didn't turn out well.  I'm not aware of anything which has lasted in the Ella's spot for more than a year or two.  Anyone else think of one?  Seems like a slam-dunk with the location, but it just doesn't seem to work.  Ella's had great food, I don't think enough people knew about it.

Alfredo's was in that spot for a number of years.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 01:40:58 pm »

Alfredo's was in that spot for a number of years.

Damn, you are right, and there was an Italian place (was it Angelos?) across the street where Zoellner is now.  What ever happened to Alfredos?  They did pretty good actually and had several locations around town.  As I recall, he also owned some KFC franchises.  IIRC, it was the Herrera family.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »

That too bad, they had great food.
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:33 pm »

To bad. Really enjoyed the fried shrimp plate. I heard the owners doctor told him to slow down is the reason they closed. Get well soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org