A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:43 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMSA in OKC, Tulsa's helping out. I'm sure OKC would do the same  (Read 51117 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

I take back what I said about poor service from EMSA. I was in a significant rear end collusion (no laughing) that totaled the car driven by the guy that "rear ended" me (still no laughing). I was almost KO'd but after I got into the ambulance and received great care from the medics, everything turned out to be okay. The wife's reassurances were helpful. I anticipate tomorrow's degree of suck will be off the charts--starting to feel it now.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

I take back what I said about poor service from EMSA. I was in a significant rear end collusion (no laughing) that totaled the car driven by the guy that "rear ended" me (still no laughing). I was almost KO'd but after I got into the ambulance and received great care from the medics, everything turned out to be okay. The wife's reassurances were helpful. I anticipate tomorrow's degree of suck will be off the charts--starting to feel it now.

Sorry you got tagged so hard.  Speedy recovery and I hope you're not too sore tomorrow.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

Sorry you got tagged so hard.  Speedy recovery and I hope you're not too sore tomorrow.

Man, you should see the other guy's car. It's a miracle he didn't get really hurt. The driver was a 21 year old man that was visibly heart-broken over what happened to me. Same with the parents who arrived later. I took the kid aside and explained to him "that's why they call these sort of things 'accidents'". As for me, the truck has about $2.5K damage but is completely drivable. In a sense, my truck got a little character today. Again, kudos to EMSA, as well as TPD and TFD--and to the stranger that first came to me to help.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Hopefully he learns a lesson from it. So many folks don't. Sad

Hope you have a speedy recovery, G!

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 06:48:07 pm »

Accidents are always disturbing no matter how small. Glad you're intact and got good care. I passed by a pickup truck on I-44 and Yale this morning where the driver was not so lucky. The truck was flattened and the driver was laying nearby under a blanket. Never heard or saw anything on the news. Driving in Tulsa is downright scary bad.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 07:18:02 pm »

Accidents are always disturbing no matter how small. Glad you're intact and got good care. I passed by a pickup truck on I-44 and Yale this morning where the driver was not so lucky. The truck was flattened and the driver was laying nearby under a blanket. Never heard or saw anything on the news. Driving in Tulsa is downright scary bad.

For the life of me I do not understand how the driver of the car escaped unscathed. The entire front end of his car was crushed to the firewall and the impact threw me from my seat to the passenger floor. There had to be some Divine intervention involved since no one got seriously hurt. Both of us actually walked away in the end. Very weird.

I think I heard of the radio the accident you are referring to.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »

For the life of me I do not understand how the driver of the car escaped unscathed. The entire front end of his car was crushed to the firewall and the impact threw me from my seat to the passenger floor. There had to be some Divine intervention involved since no one got seriously hurt. Both of us actually walked away in the end. Very weird.

Unlike the cars of the 60s and earlier, modern cars are designed to crush the front (and/or) back ends to absorb the energy of the crash and lower the impact to the driver/passengers.  You should be getting some memorable bruises where you broke your seat belts since they would not normally allow you to get to the passenger floor area.   Grin   I expect the car that crashed into you had airbags.  This is Oklahoma so I doubt the other driver was wearing his seatbelt. 

I'm glad you are OK though.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »

Get well G-man.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:56 pm »

Thanks to the well-wishers in here. The wife has me prepared for what's coming tomorrow so I'm good. I'll be fine and just as crass and mean-spirited as ever tomorrow.  Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »

The wife has me prepared for what's coming tomorrow so I'm good.

Significant portions of ethanol based adult beverages?  Locally brewed? 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »

Significant portions of ethanol based adult beverages?  Locally brewed? 

How'd you know?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:24 pm »

This is Oklahoma so I doubt the other driver was wearing his seatbelt. 
Ain't that what airbags are for? Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:05 pm »

LOL. Have you ever been in an accident and had the air bag deploy? Talk about something freaky. And the smell reminded me of gunpowder.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »

LOL. Have you ever been in an accident and had the air bag deploy? Talk about something freaky. And the smell reminded me of gunpowder.

Thankfully not. The only crashes I've been involved in as a driver or passenger (so far) had to do with someone bumping into the car I was in from behind at a very low speed. I did witness some drunk lady in a two week old 2011 Explorer slam into my neighbor's parked minivan at two in the morning about a year ago. (the danger of parking on the street, I guess) It got dusty in the cabin right quick.

Even with fluids everywhere and half her engine bay smashed in, she tried to start the car and drive away. Her escape plan didn't work out so well.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:15 pm »

I am one of the dozen or so people in the world that believe seat belts are able to help a driver maintain control of their vehicle in the event of a surprise.  Airbags should be the last resort.

My dad was in a head-on collision when I was a teenager (actually the day I got my driver's license) when a driver crossed lanes around a snow covered curve in upstate NY.  Estimated speed was about 25mph each. Both cars were totaled but not crunched to the firewall. Dad got 2 bruised elbows.  He was wearing his seatbelt but there were no shoulder straps available in the 1965 Buick LeSabre.  He was hit by a full size Chevy so there is no Kenworth/VW Bug analogy here.

Having been surprised by drivers swerving into me on 169/Mingo Valley, an unexpected vehicle response to a bump that was uneventful on a daily basis in a different car, diving for the shoulder when construction ahead was actually right now, and of course turbulence in airplanes, I believe in seat belts.

I agree there are cases when they don't help.  I remember when I was a volunteer fireman (back east) going to a "wash down" for a XKE Jag Convertible that was flipped.  No roll bar and the windshield frame did nothing. There was also a 66 Chevelle 396 hardtop that took out a 10 ft. section of one telephone pole, using the roof of the car, and knocked down the next.  Seat belts didn't/wouldn't have helped them either.  Statistically you are better off wearing seat belts.

/soapbox for now

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org