A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:06:53 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Brady Fairfield Inn by Marriott  (Read 56208 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »

Putting brick up on the front.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:38 pm »

This is getting pretty exciting.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »

Just goes to show you how important orientation is. Unfortunately, Bartians in their infinite wisdom have provided an amazing example of what not do to.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bartlesville,+OK&ll=36.750832,-95.979435&spn=0.001717,0.002411&hnear=Bartlesville,+Washington,+Oklahoma&gl=us&t=h&z=19

The Fairfield is virtually the same building as the Hilton (less one story even) but just oriented different, more appropriately for a downtown setting. So in B'Ville, an entire block (a larger one at that) is taken up by a building that should have taken no more than one fourth of a block. Plus, people don't like walking across an asphalt parking lot

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

Just goes to show you how important orientation is. Unfortunately, Bartians in their infinite wisdom have provided an amazing example of what not do to.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bartlesville,+OK&ll=36.750832,-95.979435&spn=0.001717,0.002411&hnear=Bartlesville,+Washington,+Oklahoma&gl=us&t=h&z=19

The Fairfield is virtually the same building as the Hilton (less one story even) but just oriented different, more appropriately for a downtown setting. So in B'Ville, an entire block (a larger one at that) is taken up by a building that should have taken no more than one fourth of a block. Plus, people don't like walking across an asphalt parking lot

I'm not sure where you're going but this pic was taken from the Mexicalli parking lot as I was leaving lunch.
Parking will be an issue for this hotel when it is fully booked but there is overflow parking about 1.5-2 blocks to the SE.
Hopefully they will have a shuttle.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »

I'm not sure where you're going but this pic was taken from the Mexicalli parking lot as I was leaving lunch.
Parking will be an issue for this hotel when it is fully booked but there is overflow parking about 1.5-2 blocks to the SE.

You're saying they will need a shuttle so people don't have to walk 2 blocks?

Not sure if serious.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »

I only meant that the Fairfield is built out to the street, which allows for them to have multiple commercial options even though the building itself will take up frontage for an entire block. Whereas the Hilton in Bartlesville is set back (way back) and there are no commercial options available unless you count the hotel restaurant, which is limited in my opinion. It also took up far more square footage of land which could have been used for other things in the future. By building to the street and including multiple commercial bays, it has helped create foot traffic. The foot traffic to a Fairfield alone would be limited, but if there are 4 or 5 other options, well then you have more people walking by, which is good for attracting more development downtown which in return will likely lead to more beds taken each night. I know it's probably not just that simple, but it seems to be.

Personally, I don't think Tulsa or Bartlesville has a parking issue downtown so I would be perfectly fine with surface parking lots being built on without replacing parking somewhere else. It's just not really necessary in building a vibrant urban environment. Tulsa's real issue is transportation, not parking.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

Not sure if serious.

Nobody in this town would ever consider walking two blocks at the mall,,, I mean in downtown.  Thats absurd.  Fortunately people staying at this hotel will likely be from out of town and won't mind, plus the hotel might have valet service.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »

Nobody in this town would ever consider walking two blocks at the mall,,, I mean in downtown.  Thats absurd.  Fortunately people staying at this hotel will likely be from out of town and won't mind, plus the hotel might have valet service.

The hotel will almost certainly have a valet.  Even hotels with more surface parking usually have valets, and the hotel may even charge extra for it.  It's a cost of staying downtown in just about any city.  I would like to think that a shuttle would not be necessary for a two block walk, but this is Tulsa, so unfortunately, it is an issue.  A shuttle would be helpful though for a broader range of things, like transporting people to Blue Dome, OneOk, BOK Center, Deco District, etc.  The walks aren't all that long, but still long enough that even fit people would use it, especially in extreme heat or cold.  It could even be used to get out of town guests to Cherry Street or Brookside.  Valets and shuttles are just good business for hotels, especially those in downtown areas and entertainment districts.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:29 pm »

Valets and shuttles are just good business for hotels, especially those in downtown areas and entertainment districts.

Exactly. They will have a shuttle, not because Tulsans need one, but because it is good business for a hotel like this.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

Not sure if serious.

LOL, just playing on the parking issues people believe are downtown ;o)
Tourist don't mind. Just locals coming downtown.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

Exactly. They will have a shuttle, not because Tulsans need one, but because it is good business for a hotel like this.

Yeah they will have shuttle to events and places, very unlikely it will visit a parking lot two blocks away. Well Maybe as a service, but I still doubt it.

Thank you,
Robert Town
dbacks fan
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:46 am »

The hotel will almost certainly have a valet.  Even hotels with more surface parking usually have valets, and the hotel may even charge extra for it.  It's a cost of staying downtown in just about any city.  I would like to think that a shuttle would not be necessary for a two block walk, but this is Tulsa, so unfortunately, it is an issue.  A shuttle would be helpful though for a broader range of things, like transporting people to Blue Dome, OneOk, BOK Center, Deco District, etc.  The walks aren't all that long, but still long enough that even fit people would use it, especially in extreme heat or cold.  It could even be used to get out of town guests to Cherry Street or Brookside.  Valets and shuttles are just good business for hotels, especially those in downtown areas and entertainment districts.

I have stayed(sp?) at Fairfields in AZ, CA, OR, and CO and they may offer a shuttle from the airport or train station for those near AmTrak, but none of them have offered or have a valet. Fairfield is most always the bargain version of a Marriott, more like a Motel 6 or Red Roof Inn version of Marriott, and similar to what La Quinta Inns And Suites is, upscale from Motel 6/Red Roof types, but inexpensive enough to attract budget minded travelers.

Does the Fairfield near Woodland Hills offer valet?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2012, 11:01:08 am »

From FB post:

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2012, 12:58:11 pm »

Opens tomorrow
rdj
City Father

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

Was in the Brady last night.  The lights for this parking lot are probably view able from space.  It felt like daytime in that lot last night.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org