A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:18:17 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 41st and Harvard  (Read 10072 times)
Markk
Civic Leader

« on: June 16, 2010, 10:46:02 am »

Noticed  today there is a rezoning or similar sign now posted on the SE corner of the intersection, in front of the new CVS.  Anyone know what that is about?  Sure wish it meant a QT...
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

I believe that Yale Cleaners wants to go into this development.  (You know, our "mini-Utica Square"...er, mini 71st and Memorial) The PUD specifically prohibits dry cleaners, so this would require an amendment to the PUD.  I haven't seen the plans.  I heard they also want to put in a slightly taller building than allowed in the PUD.  My only concern is the environmental impact of a dry cleaning business.  (Plus it would probably put Fox Cleaners, across the street, out of business.)  Yale Cleaners claims to use "environmentally friendly" chemicals.  Does such a thing exist?

I would have been in favor of a QT, too.  I believe that QT was never a possibility b/c the landowner didn't want to sell, just wanted to sign long-term leases with national chains.  (Not sure why, he's so old, he won't outlive the lease...)   Now that CVS has the corner, we won't see a QT here. 

I soooo wish we could get a neighborhood restaurant or tavern, a deli, a little hardware store, heck, even a bigger space for Ted and Debbies... but we're not going to see any local independent folks if they can't own their own property.

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:39 am »

I believe that Yale Cleaners wants to go into this development.  (You know, our "mini-Utica Square"...er, mini 71st and Memorial) The PUD specifically prohibits dry cleaners, so this would require an amendment to the PUD.  I haven't seen the plans.  I heard they also want to put in a slightly taller building than allowed in the PUD.  My only concern is the environmental impact of a dry cleaning business.  (Plus it would probably put Fox Cleaners, across the street, out of business.)  Yale Cleaners claims to use "environmentally friendly" chemicals.  Does such a thing exist?

I would have been in favor of a QT, too.  I believe that QT was never a possibility b/c the landowner didn't want to sell, just wanted to sign long-term leases with national chains.  (Not sure why, he's so old, he won't outlive the lease...)   Now that CVS has the corner, we won't see a QT here. 

I soooo wish we could get a neighborhood restaurant or tavern, a deli, a little hardware store, heck, even a bigger space for Ted and Debbies... but we're not going to see any local independent folks if they can't own their own property.

The SW corner has also be advertising for space available soon.  I've wondered whether Fox is going to be leaving that space.  If it does, hopefully a QT---but I think that the space is too small, even if you include the adjacent empty office building directly to the west.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:30 am »

Wow.  Thats at least 4 dry cleaners and 3 drug stores within a 1 mile stretch.  I'm anxious to see what will fill in here since its a few minutes walk for me and with a good wind up I could throw a rock into the CVS parking lot from my back yard.  This is actually a very walkable area on the East side of Harvard and with Patick Henry right behind it, there are a lot of school kids on the sidewalk.  While it could be worse, I'm glad that QT is a no go. The traffic would have been a mess.  A coffee shop or something that takes advantage of the neighborhood activity would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:09:20 am by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »

There are still going to be 3 curb cuts from the development onto 41st.  (Originally, these were driveways into homes.  They will eventually be 30' wide entrances to the PUD.)  There's already a noticible increase in traffic and complexity (due to the CVS) for people coming off Jamestown onto 41st.  Not sure what will happen when there are two more places for cars to exit onto 41st.  T

hat said, I'm not sure whether the proposed Yale Cleaners is going to be on Harvard (the site that was originally going to be a "Whole Foods-type grocery store") or on the 41st street side.  I would assume 41st b/c that side was designed for smaller lots.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »

The intersection itself is supposed to be redone, so maybe there will be a slight increase in its ability to process cars, maybe extra right turn lanes, smarter lights (HA!!) etc.

Now that I think about it, maybe that is what is happening with the SW corner, maybe the city needs some of that property for ROW, additional space for a right turn lane, as I don't see the space coming from the north side of the road.  The Fox cleaners as it exists would have to shut down if it lost even a slither of its property.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:04 pm »

There are still going to be 3 curb cuts from the development onto 41st.  (Originally, these were driveways into homes.  They will eventually be 30' wide entrances to the PUD.)  There's already a noticible increase in traffic and complexity (due to the CVS) for people coming off Jamestown onto 41st.  Not sure what will happen when there are two more places for cars to exit onto 41st. 

Welcome to the reality of S Memorial Drive.

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »

Anyone know anything more about 41st and Yale plans?  I heard something the other day about some controversy over a prospective tenant trying to negotiate a fast food joint in its parking lot.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

Lou da man Reynolds has been granted a PUD amendment  with the trade offs being setback (150 feet) from neighborhood and exterior design (brick instead of dryvit). The fast food drive through was postponed until it can be shoved through in two years.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »

Lou da man Reynolds has been granted a PUD amendment  with the trade offs being setback (150 feet) from neighborhood and exterior design (brick instead of dryvit). The fast food drive through was postponed until it can be shoved through in two years.

Is Reynolds representing the property owner?  Any word on who the tenant will be?

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »

Is Reynolds representing the property owner?  Any word on who the tenant will be?

LR represents the owner, Manley Trust, in zoning and indirectly the chain. The Trustee is only interested in ground leases. The chain Sprouts http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2012/05/29/sunflower-sprouts-grocery-chains.html and http://www.sprouts.com/
will serve as the anchor and is interested in building a store there.

The outparcel is rumored at TNF to be McDonald's along Harvard. Many of us find this a bad combo but money talks and a guarantee of a five star credit carries weight. The city needs to expand and CORRECT THAT INTERSECTION. To avoid future traffic snarls, they should prohibit a fast food chain in that location. JMHO  Lips sealed
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

LR represents the owner, Manley Trust, in zoning and indirectly the chain. The Trustee is only interested in ground leases. The chain Sprouts http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2012/05/29/sunflower-sprouts-grocery-chains.html and http://www.sprouts.com/
will serve as the anchor and is interested in building a store there.

The outparcel is rumored at TNF to be McDonald's along Harvard. Many of us find this a bad combo but money talks and a guarantee of a five star credit carries weight. The city needs to expand and CORRECT THAT INTERSECTION. To avoid future traffic snarls, they should prohibit a fast food chain in that location. JMHO  Lips sealed

Thanks for bringing me up to speed (found the other thread and Tdub article).  Excited about Sprouts - that is a great fit. Of course some food(ish) drive through in front would be ridiculous, a McDonalds being the most egregious joke of all.  I think that intersection was scheduled to be redone beginning this year, as well as the 31st and Harvard intersection.  I have no idea if there are plans to add any functionality (there is plenty of room at 41st to do so). Both are in serious need, but I can't imagine the gridlock doing it while Lewis is closed at the interstate.  Traffic has already increased dramatically.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:54:05 am »

Of course some food(ish) drive through in front would be ridiculous, a McDonalds being the most egregious joke of all.

80th & Memorial, the tenants of the same building:
Jenny Craig
Fitness Together
Fat Guys Burger Bar
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 10:48:50 am »

80th & Memorial, the tenants of the same building:
Jenny Craig
Fitness Together
Fat Guys Burger Bar

So I can run on the treadmill while eating a Fatguys in front of the Jenny Craig Dieters....Sweet!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org