A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:40:58 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ms. Hornet 2010  (Read 3715 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »

There is always lots of talk around here about how great Jenks, Union and Broken Arrow are for schools. And they are really fine schools. But often left out of the discussions that slam Tulsa Public Schools is the size of Jenks vs any one Tulsa High School. Jenks has one HS. So do the rest of the burbs. Those communities invest monetarily and psychologically in those schools. It makes a tremendous difference. The one High School in Tulsa that consistently performs well in many different areas, is Booker T Washington. Its reputation nationally is excellent. It shares a small town personality as it is practically an island in the city that distills the surrounding metro Tulsa student body into one fine wine with lots of flavor.

Jenks has 2150 students. BTW has 1250. They both are in the top ten in the state for National Merit Scholarship recipients released back in July. This year Jenks had two, BTW had one. The leader in the state was Stillwater with 4. Private schools in the area made good showings as well. BTW actually has more Merit finalists this year than any area schools. The rest of TPS has taken many lessons from the BTW experiment and have made strides. But it has to be repeated, most of the top ten were schools that you could say were the only school in town.

Anyway, I found the heading for BURBS but couldn't find the one for "INNER CITY" Wink so I thought I would post a well written, meaningful story I read in a local publication relating to the pride of TPS. For you non BTW grads and parents, I would note that I am not a BTW grad as well (CHS). Each of the schools has its own bragging points, though not all scholastic oriented, yet.

http://thislandpress.com/09/26/2011/the-making-of-miss-hornet/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:28:48 pm by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
BookerT.Razorback
Tourist

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »

Excellent read. Makes me proud to be a BTW alum. Thank you!
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »

Nice article until the "male dominated society" remark.....just not so, anymore. And BTW may paint the tolerance picture but that's more Mom and Dad's work which is why the school is loaded with talent...it takes a village!

Love This Land Press.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org