A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:19:27 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) St. Francis Expansion  (Read 19469 times)
stageidea
Civic Leader

« on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:28 am »

St. Francis to break ground on $200 million tower
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20110928_17_A1_CUTLIN293882

by: SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
9/28/2011 7:39:55 AM

St. Francis Health System will break ground this week on an eight-story, $200 million patient tower and trauma center at its main campus.

The 500,000 square-foot project on the west side of campus at 61st Street and South Yale Avenue is 10 percent renovation and the rest new construction. It will include an emergency center, intensive care and surgery rooms and two helicopter pads. The construction will also replace the chapel and renovate the main lobby.

Completion date is expected for the summer of 2014.

As the aging population grows, more trauma care will be needed, St. Francis CEO and President Jake Henry said. Assuming federal health care reform mandates for insurance coverage go into effect in 2014, more people overall will be receiving care.

The hospital has looked at expanding its emergency care capability since 2002, he said.

"We think it's good for the community," Henry said. "We think it's going to give us the flexibility for what we know will happen."

It is the most expensive building project in St. Francis history and one of the largest investments the city has seen since 2003, hospital officials said.

Lynn Sund, senior vice president and chief nurse executive, said the new emergency center will make St. Francis capable of having a Level I Trauma Center, the highest certification available. It is currently Level II. The only Level I facilities in the state are in Oklahoma City.

Read More: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20110928_17_A1_CUTLIN293882

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:48:20 pm by Admin » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

This tower will be highly visible from Yale.  It will be right on top of where they have just finished the extensive landscaping/retaining walls, to the north of the new parking garage.

Another rendering

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:25:03 am by SXSW » Logged

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:41:45 am »

How many floors does it take for a building to become a "tower"?
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:49:08 am »

Good for this $2 million/year Henry guy but without Cooper this project couldn't get to first base. The place has started to take on real curb appeal...if we could just get them to pay for the curb instead of those of us paying taxes covering the constant street work around the campus. And it would be nice if they contributed their "profit" to neighborhood schools as well since they avoid that too.....

Where they going to find the additional employees?

Do you think they are building new spick and span to get rid of the Mursa situation?

Nice, a large cathedral sanctuary and a convent too. Dark ages? No mosque?

It would have been nice had they announced a holistic center with a nutritional cafeteria and center for obesity....but that might defeat their partnership with big pharma and the purpose of life extension. Wouldn't expect any family planning areas either....

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:50:42 am »

How many floors does it take for a building to become a "tower"?

No mention of floors.  Just taller than its diameter.

A skyscraper has to be a certain amount of floors I think.

a building or structure typically higher than its diameter and high relative to its surroundings that may stand apart (as a campanile) or be attached (as a church belfry) to a larger structure and that may be fully walled in or of skeleton framework (as an observation or transmission tower)

I have a tower under my desk though.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12:06 am »

I have a tower under my desk though.

*spit-take*
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

*spit-take*

uh-thank-ya
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:18:10 am »

Good for this $2 million/year Henry guy but without Cooper this project couldn't get to first base. The place has started to take on real curb appeal...if we could just get them to pay for the curb instead of those of us paying taxes covering the constant street work around the campus. And it would be nice if they contributed their "profit" to neighborhood schools as well since they avoid that too.....

Where they going to find the additional employees?

Do you think they are building new spick and span to get rid of the Mursa situation?

Nice, a large cathedral sanctuary and a convent too. Dark ages? No mosque?

It would have been nice had they announced a holistic center with a nutritional cafeteria and center for obesity....but that might defeat their partnership with big pharma and the purpose of life extension. Wouldn't expect any family planning areas either....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:29:08 am »

Is it still going to be pink?  At this late date, I don't want to have to re-learn a name for the "pink hospital out south".

Bad enough that it really isn't "out south" anymore....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:59 am »

I refer to it as that "pink hospital up north".

Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:47 pm »

Is it still going to be pink?  At this late date, I don't want to have to re-learn a name for the "pink hospital out south".

Bad enough that it really isn't "out south" anymore....

The non-glass parts are still pink in the renderings.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »

Wow, those renderings look sharp!

And I hope it always stays pink. Medical companies around the country refer to it as the "Pink Palace."
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

Yes it will be pink.  The warren foundation has rights to enough of that horrible marble...

A sky scrapper must be 12 stories.

A tower has no height requirement.

And aox... no.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 09:29:34 am »

Yes it will be pink.  The warren foundation has rights to enough of that horrible marble...

A sky scrapper must be 12 stories.

A tower has no height requirement.

And aox... no.

Actually a "Highrise" is a minimum of 12 stories and or approx 115'

A Skyscraper can fall under two different definitions.
    1.  Informal... A building that is significantly taller than any other building in an area and that dominates its surroundings.  This is a very general definition applicable in limited circumstances like say a small city or town that doesn't have any "true" skyscrapers.  The Price Tower, at 221', in Bartlesville would be an example. While its not a skyscraper under the "formal" definition, in its context it can still be called a skyscraper.
    2.  Formal... A building with a minimum height of 100 meters (approx 325') or approx 25 floors.  

So a skyscraper can be called a highrise, but not all highrises are skyscrapers.

The reason you can't use a specific number of floors is because the average floor height can vary from 10' and 12', especially in older buildings, to each floor being 15' or more in newer buildings (usually to have a section that accommodates modern heating and air ducts, fiber optics, sprinkler systems, electrical, etc.) and first floor lobbies that can easily reach 50' but would still count as 1 floor.  For instance though the Cityplex Tower has more floors, the BOK tower is actually taller.  

Devon Tower in OKC is now the tallest Skyscraper in Oklahoma at 850'.  Which would be about the same height as placing the Petroleum Club tower on top of the BOK tower.  Though Devon is the tallest in Oklahoma, it would rank as about the 150th tallest in the world.  With the tallest in the world being the 2,715' tall Burj Khalifa.

With the advent of more and more skyscrapers of 300m or approx 1,000 feet tall and up, there is now a new classification of "Supertall".

Just an fwi lol.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:41:20 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:18 am »

So currently the only highrise (by definition) going up in Tulsa is the Cimarex Tower downtown. 

This building at St. Francis will add to the mini-skyline in that area that is clearly visible from the Yale exit at I-44, and from higher elevations to the west (especially on top of Turkey Mtn).  The new 8 story towers at Montereau have also added to that, mainly because they are on the hill so they are actually taller than the St. Francis buildings.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org